How did American society not see how shitty this is?

How did American society not see how shitty this is?

Other urls found in this thread:

shoup.bol.ucla.edu/PrefaceHighCostFreeParking.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=n1gsyhuHGgc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

brainwashing and burgers

Most of them are manlets and can't see from that far up

It's shittiest from ground level.

If you look at the values per square meter of land of those buildings and those car parks then you will find that they are almost exactly the same.

Where is this?

You mean real estate value? I don't think that's true. Also, what's your point?

Central Denver. It doesn't look like that any more, thankfully. It was just 50s-80s era madness.

American cities being soulless grids that stretch for miles in all directions with no green spaces is a much bigger issue than the car culture I think.

I don't see anything wrong here.

The city closest me is the worst city layout.

>you need cars to get anywhere.
>it fucking sucks driving there anyways.

Oh look, I can't turn off here on this road I got on, I guess I'm going onto the highway now, thanks city!

The goal of post-war urban planning was to separate Americans' homes and workplaces with physical distance. The car and freeway allowed this, but with the caveat that parking would have to be provided by businesses and organizations that people used. Most city codes still maintain a ludicrous number of parking spaces for retail and commercial square footage.

Here's some more reading if you're interested:
shoup.bol.ucla.edu/PrefaceHighCostFreeParking.pdf

>tfw you're about to enter a new age of millennials rapidly urbanizing and moving population centers closer and closer

Don't worry, the worlds going to fall apart soon anyways.

youtube.com/watch?v=n1gsyhuHGgc

At least cities had parking back then.

Car culture was a very cheap means of decentralizing development in the face of a nuclear attack. Much of the better off (i.e. skilled) population moved off to the suburban area in the 1950s. Back then with ICBM limited warhead weight, lower mass to power bombs, high likelihood of mid flight frailer, MIRV having not yet been though up, and piss poor CEP it greatly increase the difficulty of damaging the homeland.

That's Houston.

What, parking lots? Fine they are shit.

But if this is about the Grid system then fuck you.
>Europeans: LE SOULLESS GRIDS
Meanwhile, thousands of years earlier, in Europe.
>Hey we founded a new city.
>Let us make it grid patterns so it isn't confusing to navigate around.
A few centuries after that
>Shitflinging Germanics with their unrestricted sprawl of their hovel-villages
Modern Europeans
>So natchurul and esthetic.

I never really appreciated parking garages before....

Wow look at all those parking lots

Stop name-dropping acronyms retard boy

Euros invented the american grid system anyway. Its a colonial thing because planned cities function far better than ones that develop organically

We have one or two cities like that here in NZ

In SF and downtown Sac I don't see this.

If anything this looks like Southwest, Midwest or South were fat people are always in cars and their transit is horrible.

>horrible transit

Nigga how can you say that when we have BART? also east bay fag here so our buses are also shit

This looks like Sim City.

>planned cities function far better than ones that develop organically

There are a lot of counterexamples to that, including OP.

>60's
>Segregation ends
>Whites flee the city center to get their kids out of black schools
>the entire urban planning becomes car based

God, I wish we had these. The number of cars per capita has risen 7x here in the last 30 years, with the majority of people continuing to live in cities built 40 years ago.

The cities sprang up very quickly and inorganically. As well, the great power of our auto and oil industries means that cities were deliberately planned to require vehicles, and many were essentially bullied by the industries into abandoning public transit, because they wanted the cars on the road.

These urban and suburban sprawls were also the result of white flight, with abandoning the inner city, for the suburbs, and now reinforced, by rents and land being extremely expensive within the "inner loop" of the cities, but cheap in the seemingly endless suburban chain generica.

For instance, my apartment is about 650sqft, and $675mo. Now, a two-story, house, with a garage and backyard about 15mi out in the suburbs, is probably $775mo mortgage. I personally hate the "highway towns" suburbia (you know, "Here's the highway into the adjacent city, and the epicenter of our town, here you can find Panda Express, Chilis, TJ Max and Wal-Mart, everything you need to be a slovenly piece of human garbage, you fat pig.") but we have a huge amount of land, we all have cars and so we're encouraged (by land prices and the industries) to build outwards, and forget central planning.

To put it in perspective, and to also address the Europeans claiming "Americans never travel", it's a greater distance from Houston to New Orleans (pretty typical weekend trip for us) than it is from Berlin to Prague.

>Atlanta is bigger than Wales

>Houston is as big as Israel
>Texas as big as France

I've actually noticed a very odd phenomenon where Europeans seem to utterly fail to grasp the geographic scope of the United States. For example, I knew a Dutch person who thought that the entire Northeast was about the size of their country, when New York State alone is about 4 times larger. Also knew a Brit who thought that Texas was about the size of Ireland, even though you could fit the whole of the British Isles inside of Texas. That's just a couple of IRL experiences off of the top of my head, I've seen people online shocked that it takes more than a day to travel across the country by car, just as an example.

>Phoenix is bigger than Jamaica

Holy shit,is this sim city 3d?

My thoughts exactly, although the player has no clue what he's doing.

Nice try but this shit started right after WW2.