Hey Veeky Forums, within the next few months I'm planning on quitting my job. I currently have 22k in the bank...

Hey Veeky Forums, within the next few months I'm planning on quitting my job. I currently have 22k in the bank, but this will probably be around 30k once I quit. I'm planning on spending the next 18 months building my own tech start up out of a basement essentially and doing some general finding myself bullshit. Now what I need advice on is budgeting and general help for how to get money. First budgeting.

Right now I spend 900$ per month on rent, but may be getting an additional room mate so this amount will drop to around 700$. With utilities, internet, and food, purchasing my food from a restaurant wholesale place mainly as it is the cheapest around, it all comes out to around another 300$ or so. Adding on some flex money this brings it all 1000-1500$ per month depending on if my rent drops.

From my budget this all seems doable, but it will begin to make money tight. What I need help with is some ideas on how to get money for myself while I spend the NEET life as a independent developer. First of all my degree and work experience is all in web development, though I have never been a freelancer. My first thought is to merely advertise myself and work as one when money begins to grow tight. What I am looking for is help on other easy ways to earn money in some short term fashion.

Unfortunately doing something like Uber driving isn't viable due not having a car, the place I lived before my current arrangement was not conducive to owning a car. I'm willing to answer any other questions people have. Also if people have advice on how to be frugal I am very willing to take it as well.

u so fukked

I just realized the fact that I live in california is likely relevant.

Jesus fuck, just buy a god damn tercel for 500$. Who the fuck doesn't have a vehicle of some sort these days?

If you can't even swing that, how the fuck do you plan on running a business?

Shit...

go live in south korea for cheap . you can find a job if you are white

i really hope you weren't expecting any actual productive advice from Veeky Forums

>Jesus fuck, just buy a god damn tercel for 500$. Who the fuck doesn't have a vehicle of some sort these days?
I actually sold my old car when I originally moved. I lived in San Francisco. Owning a car didn't do much for me in the city as I both lived and worked there. Unfortunately due to the general situation in SF parking for a car can be upwards of 500$ a month depending on the district and my work only provided day parking.

>If you can't even swing that, how the fuck do you plan on running a business?
Mostly I know I have the expertise for what I plan on doing. Though I will admit I'm giving myself a roughly 60-70% chance of catastrophic failure and having to reenter the work force.

>go live in south korea for cheap . you can find a job if you are white
I'm not white, I'm czech.

I had hoped.

Live in third world, pay small rent, use internet??

>I'm not white, I'm czech.
That's the funniest shit I've seen all day.

More looking on advice on freelancing for someone with a few years of experience as a java dev and general web developer. Also other ways for someone with time on their hands and a strong PC to make some cash.

Probably not gonna move. If worst comes to worst and I do run out of money I'll probably just go back home in shame and ask my family for help.

>spend 900$ per month on rent, but may be getting an additional room mate so this amount will drop to around 700$.

Why not just pay his rent for him nigger?

I apologize, I meant house mate. I would still be in my own room. We currently pay 2400 per month. We would make him pay 500 per month and drop all of our rents to 500/500/700/700 between the four of us. Me and one other guy are paying 200 more due to having much nicer rooms.

what was your job?
and when you ask your parents to live with them when you run out of money wont they ask why you havent been working and didn't see this coming. also why don't you move to a place with cheaper rent if you're gonna do this

>what was your job?
I work as a developer for the website of a bit american department store. I'm the token white guy in a team of 40 some odd green card indian workers and basically am in a business culture based on the fact that most of them are stuck working their because the company sponsored their green card. Long hours (50+ hour weeks often, so bad but not awful), shit tech stack, shit management at all levels (except for my direct manager who is just lazy), and more.

>and when you ask your parents to live with them when you run out of money wont they ask why you havent been working and didn't see this coming.
My parents already know I plan on quitting and perusing my dreams and have already offered me basically a safety net after 18 months. If I fuck up badly enough I don't make any money and just have to reenter the work force they said they'll take me in or supplement me until I get a new job. I also warned them that there is a legitimate chance that this may all come to nothing. It might be their own mistake, but they decided to believe in me.

>also why don't you move to a place with cheaper rent if you're gonna do this
Already moved to a place that is a lot cheaper than my last. My only option for less than 700$ per month is moving pretty far from everyone I currently work with/use for support. Since it's california no matter where I move unless it's to bumfuck no where my rent is gonna be at least 500$ per month. Moving out of state isn't an option at the moment for other more complicated reasons.

1. why can't you keep your job and "build" your guaranteed failure of a startup? your entire shitpost is about keeping a job you don't even have yet as a freelancer. that shit takes more work/stress than a 9-5, retard.

2. you and everyone else in california. hundreds of thousands of zonkerburgs who eat ramen and sleep on the floor to build the next "disrupter." you're willing to be a lame ass with a shit life for 5-10+ years while your startup MAYBE gets picked up? someone with fucking java skills which are in high demand is going to stick his head up his ass and live like a bum? okay.

3. take your 30k and travel the world for 6 months. you can work on the road a bit, but figure your shit out with a fresh mind. your post reads like a confused kid who watches too many motivational speakers.

>1. why can't you keep your job and "build" your guaranteed failure of a startup? your entire shitpost is about keeping a job you don't even have yet as a freelancer. that shit takes more work/stress than a 9-5, retard.
Honestly I would be surprised if it does more than my current place. I honestly hate this place a great deal.

>2. you and everyone else in california. hundreds of thousands of zonkerburgs who eat ramen and sleep on the floor to build the next "disrupter." you're willing to be a lame ass with a shit life for 5-10+ years while your startup MAYBE gets picked up? someone with fucking java skills which are in high demand is going to stick his head up his ass and live like a bum? okay.
I don't want to be the next zuk. I just want to make video games. I honestly think the sort of folks who think that what ever app they make is gonna change the world are deluding themselves. I just want to make enough to survive while making vidya because I love vidya.

>3. take your 30k and travel the world for 6 months. you can work on the road a bit, but figure your shit out with a fresh mind. your post reads like a confused kid who watches too many motivational speakers.
I have considered this as well, but don't really want to see the world, or at least I am unsure if I do. More than anything I want to know that I tried to just follow my dream even if I fail because then at least I know I tried. However I see your point. I have considered reducing the time to 12 months, or even 6, and going far more full press on it. Besides simply doing the game development I am trying to take time to figure my life out for what makes me happy. In my current state I am slinking farther into depression and realize my work takes up a good deal of my life with being constantly on call/working evenings. I know I am stuck. Trying to use this as a means to push myself forward.

Watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi. This is pretty good advice.

Might even be on NEtflix

Thanks friend. I will watch it now. What part of my post is it good advice for?

succeeding

Thanks friend.