Do you think that the atomic bombing of japan was necessary? Why or why not?

Do you think that the atomic bombing of japan was necessary? Why or why not?
Personally, I think it saved a lot of lives, both american and japanese. Pic unrelated(organization of a japanese reinforced infantry division)

The bombing with atomic weapons of Nippon had absolutely nothing to do with the surrender of the nips. It was all about the Russians.

I always thought it was a combination of the bombs and the invasion of hokkaido. After all, the japs didn't start begging for peace after the Russians decided not to renew their non-aggression pact.

Meant kurill islands, not hokkaido, soz

Fuck right off with your counterfactual history, tankie.

>and the invasion of hokkaido

There was no invasion of Hokkaido, and never could have been one.

> After all, the japs didn't start begging for peace after the Russians decided not to renew their non-aggression pact.

This was because they were hoping to use the Soviets as a third party to negotiate surrender terms. Once the Soviets declared war, that hope was flushed down the drain. The actual military action the Soviets engaged in was more or less completely irrelevant. Combined with the atomic bombings enusring that there would be no epic final battle like they were expecting, they finally were convinced to surrende unconditionally.

>counterfactual history

Wow, dude way to expose your cognitive dissonance. Face it, the Japs only surrendered to US because they didnt want to take that Russian dick. The Japs were 100% OK with the mass destruction and death of civilians caused by US bombings.

>no invasion of hokkaido
i apologized senpaiwhat more do you want from me
why would who they were fighting in their last stand make a difference to them?

They knew that the US would be relatively nice to them. The Russians would have torn that ass up with no compassion or remorse.

Why would they care about an army being relatively "nice" to them if they were planning on all dieing in combat anyways? And didn't they think that all americans were rapists anyways? Isn't that why all those women jumped off that cliff on okinawa?
tell me more

The elite of Nipponese society knew it would be economically beneficial to surrender to US before Russian advance. Not everyone was brainwashed with FIGHT TO DEATH mentality. Why dont you actually study history, not watch history-channel docudramas and pretend to be an expert?

Nigger, the history channel hasn't ran anything even remotely history related in years. Also, you're the one who needs to get his facts straight: the soviet entry to the war happened on the same day as the bombing of hiroshima, which was still not enough to get then to surrender:
These "twin shocks"—the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and the Soviet entry—had immediate profound effects on Prime Minister Suzuki and Foreign Minister Tōgō Shigenori, who concurred that the government must end the war at once.[91] However, the senior leadership of the Japanese Army took the news in stride, grossly underestimating the scale of the attack.

And in hirohito's speech to the war council where he declared that he would surrender to the allies, he made specific reference to the atomic bombs, NOT to the russian invasion.
TL:DR u r a nigger

>he made specific reference
You are going to believe what that spineless nip said over HISTORICAL FACTS. Im not even going to give you the respect of argument anymore.

>spineless nips
Nigger he obviously had a spine or else he would have been an invertebrate, and japanese law specifically prohibited invertebrates from holding any sort of office
maybe you should put down the keyboard and pick up a biology book?

> the Japs only surrendered to US because they didnt want to take that Russian dick.

The Soviets didn't have the capability to invade Japan by sea, dumbfuck. The entire Soviet navy had fewer than 400 ships (most of them not equipped for amphibious assault) by the time they declared war on Japan on 8 August 1945; meanwhile the Americans deployed 1,300 ships to Okinawa alone, of which 368 were seriously damaged or destroyed by kamikazes. And they only had those ships to begin with because the Americans transferred them. The Soviets themselves completely dismissed the idea of invading even Hokkaido after Shumshu revealed the exact effects of their doctrinal inexperience against even a tiny token garrison.

You tankie fuckers are literally the same as Wehraboos who think pulling off Operation Sealion would've been a sure thing, like amphibious invasions aren't fucking difficult or something.

>You are going to believe what that spineless nip said over HISTORICAL FACTS. Im not even going to give you the respect of argument anymore.

So you have no proof then? Exactly what I expected of a tankie.

what the hell is a tankie

Soviet fanboy.

where does the word come from? I've literally never heard it before

It's a modern meme that comes from an old British slang term for someone who supported the Soviet Union's policy of crushing revolts in Hungary in the 1950s and Czechoslovakia in the 1960s by sending tanks into these countries.

beemp

Not either of them, and someone who dismisses the "Soviet invasion of Japan" pretty heavily myself, but Soviet thrusts into Korea and Japanese occupied China were very feasible, and something that the Japanese cared about, or at least the IJA's faction, which was the most hardline against surrender of the squabbling groups in the Japanese government.

Not him, but I don't see why that matters. They lost it all when they signed an unconditional surrender with the US.

>not him
why does everyone say this

bumping with more pics of jap organization

Who gives a shit if it was necessary? It was politically impossible for wilson to do anything but drop the bomb.

It has its uses.

"Ending" the Japanese war
Signaling the soviets to back off
Showing US power to the world
etc

Because the assumption is that if you're continuing a post chain, you're the same guy replied to and will hold the same positions and assumptions. If you want to bring up something tangential but not directly continuing the line of discussion, it's useful.

No. Japan would've surrendered with Soviet and American coalition. Japs wouldn't that retarded to fight to the last man once there's invasion forces on their mainland for a few months and who later offer them reasonable capitulation. It was morally wrong, and it didn't need to be demonstrated to show the deadliness of the atomic bomb. The bombings were relatively insignificant to the power of the bomb anyways that such example wasn't needed to show people how serious it is--merely broadcasting the advancing and more deadlier ones that were developed over the following years on tv would be enough. Anthrax hasn't been used as a mass-weaponized agent on a large scale to whipe out entire cities, but most of the population knows pretty well said weapons of it shouldn't be used unless (at best in dire situation (or at all).