Told by parents and high school teachers if you read or study history it will make you outraged about things in the...

>told by parents and high school teachers if you read or study history it will make you outraged about things in the modern world

>study history
>actually makes you more content or just complacent with things going on in the modern world because most bad things happening today, like war/rape/slavery/persecution/tyranny, happened in history anyway even during the best times under the best leaders

I totally feel you. It baffles me how my grandpa says his times were better when fucking Nazis, Communists and CIA were rampant. ie. Holocaust, Gulags, political massacres in the west.

>Holocaust

Four of my grandparents died in the Holocaust, you insensitive prick.

"Things that never happened"
Author; This Faggot

this
We're all just going through a never-ending cycle, anyone who says that humanity as a whole is continually progressing is deluded and refuses to study anything historical outside of what they were taught in high school.

let's not derail the thread

>if you read or study history it will make you outraged about things in the modern world
>tfw studying history made me more apathetic and centrist as I found exceptions and contradictions in every trend, policy, belief, nation and event, and I outright question every black-white view and hate dichotomies.

This

Accept the fact you had either awful or very stupid parents and teachers.

are you me?

>implying you can't deny capitalism success
Sorry, honey.

I think we can all agree that anyone who thinks the past was objectively better for living standards of the human race can go eat shit

>tfw trying to construct a coherent political stance for myself free of internal contradictions

It's a mixed bag. Anyone who really thinks the past was better is retarded, unless they just mean the 90s or something. That doesn't mean there isn't stuff from the past worth preserving, valuable stuff that we've lost, and new things we're better off without, but it's obvious that for most people life is better today.

I don't see why this would make you more complacent though. Appreciating what you have should make you more eager to maintain it. Seeing how far we've come should make you want to go further. Studying history should also show you that things can turn to shit pretty fast, and civilizations can fall or transform into something awful no matter how huge, stable or complex they are. I'd say studying history should turn a person away from extreme ideologies and fanaticism, not turn a person away from actually caring about shit.

pro-tip: you can't if you're not a relativist

>by not taking a stand on anything I find myself superior to all others
Also that's total bullshit there are many things you believe in that are definitely not centrist

This is also true. I think our dude was just generalizing.

The thing with relativism is that there's a scope spectrum to it. How much are you willing to tolerate?

I was. Of course given the right context one can hold firm beliefs. I wasn't talking about "nothing's true maaaan, like, open your miiind duuude".

Of course, we have to be mature enough to know when something's right or wrong.

Therein lies the rub. Are you willing to compromise your ideals to achieve good outcomes?

Let's suppose you're a vote counter and when you count up the votes you discover that your country has voted to dissolve its constitution and grant full power to the executive, turning your country into a dictatorship by a slim margin. Is it right or wrong to engage in fraud to save democracy, to subvert democracy to save it? Do you care about the institutions of democracy or the spirit of it?

I've never heard that. It actually makes me at peace and helps you understand modern day crisis. Africa's a shithole because of the scramble for Africa, and all the violence in the middle east is due the Ottoman and later British attempts at statecraft with the wrong kind of Muslims and ethnic groups.

I think I'm one of the few who think ISIS should be allowed to carve their own state in a natural way so long as everything remains within its borders.

Reading history can be dangerous in the sense that brings on lethargy. It almost makes it seem like change is impossible, or that it can only happen slowly (not true by the way). I think this is because the vast majority of people who try and make changes either fail and die, wind up being changed into something horrible, or coopted into the old order. Like almost every single revolution.

I like this. Can i call you daddy?

Why would you allow another theocratic dictatorship to spring up in the world? We're in the 21st century man. If it weren't for the oil Saudi would not be a country right now.

I'm actually really ashamed of this, but studying history made me unironically hate Muslims for a while .

>I think I'm one of the few who think ISIS should be allowed to carve their own state in a natural way so long as everything remains within its borders.
But what about protecting muh human rights.

I don't care what happens in that part of the world, but conflict is natural if the borders of defuct empires hold people together. The reason all this violence occurs is because people are lumped together, and there is no strongman dictator allowed to reign them in.

If you want a secular state, let Assad keep power and bring back Saddam. If you want a theocratic dictatorship, then let ISIS form their own state at their natural boundaries. You can't have both, mate

Learning about history made me understand everything can go shit and even your well thought ideals are garbage because of possible x reason. Not sure why i even try anymore.

I think you either may have no empathy for fellow people or just don't know enough of what goes on there.

>Africa's a shithole because of the scramble for Africa,
>and all the violence in the middle east is due the Ottoman and later British attempts at statecraft with the wrong kind of Muslims and ethnic groups.

What is it like living in a fantasy world?

>I think I'm one of the few who think ISIS should be allowed to carve their own state in a natural way so long as everything remains within its borders.
>I don't care what happens in that part of the world

wew

Africa was a shithole before even europoors came

Also the reason behind ISIS is usa supporting rebels in that country. But the deeper reason is that borders weren't created logically. Borders should have created with nationalities in mind. Thats the real reason.

Africa was a shithole but it was a shithole on their terms. The Africans had their own politics that turned into a mess when the various European empires set up their own institutions on top of them which they neglected and subsequently abandoned. It's not the Scramble for Africa that screwed them over, but the Scramble Out of Africa that fucked them.

Wrong place, wrong time, yadda yadda

>tfw no face