How do I stop being a depressed, nihilistic shit? I'll take anything at this point

How do I stop being a depressed, nihilistic shit? I'll take anything at this point

take the smug pill

take up photography and get out of my board

Find means of self expression, as well a experiences in life without toxic people, then with patience and time you will learn to start loving things more often, and hating others less often.

Religion?

I dunno, pick one that looks like it'd be great for networking and dive in.

Irony.

find activities and other such things that you enjoy that don't involve figuring out the basic structure of our existence (because that will likely make you just as or even more depressed and nihilistic than before). Start watching a sport ( isn't too far away), pick up a hobby (there are plenty of boards for those), or find a new show that you like ( a board which I shall not mention, or might be good places to go).
The reason why I link a bunch of Veeky Forums boards is because i'm guessing that you're here often, so a board whose topic is a hobby you're interested in might be a good place for you to start.

what if there's only one religion (or specifically one branch of a religion) and you don't connect with it?

If you suspect you are clinically depressed go see your family doctor and get properly diagnosed and treated. If you're just a moody teen, try spending less time on the internet and do something meaninful in your local community.

I find it strange. Because I am nihilistic also, but usually I am able to ignore it. I think the interesting thing to realize is that since all meaning is subjective nihilism in a way grants you the freedom to make your own personal meaning. It's not in any way real, but does that matter since everything from a individuals perspective is subjective. For example, bring nihilistic doesn't mean I want to die. I acknowledge that is no objective purpose or meaning or point in my life, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. Or that I can ignore the base survival instincts in brain. I would be just as scared as anyone else if you held a gun to my head. Even though I could say that the outcome doesn't matter on an objective level, it matters very much to my subjective point of view because I enjoy existing.

Take all this energy you spend into thinking about the meaningless of all things, how emotions are just chemicals how you won't be remembered etc,etc and use it to try to find what gives color to life. I did, and I escaped nihilism.
In short yeah nothing matters only if you choose it to be that way. It's you who gives the meaning to life, as a concept cannot exist without a creator.

Become a Taoist

See the Veeky Forums's wiki and search for the existential crisis infographic

>tl;Dr read Stoic and Zen/Chan philosophy

Do something that requires effort. The rewards feel better at the end of the day. Jump into some task or training exercise, anything.

so basically engage in the obsessive chase of small doses of dopamine every day administered through the reward feeling of making meaningless progress? and if for whatever reason I slip I risk returning to the spiral of depression Im in? Does every person lives like this?

Yes, everyone lives like that - you're just shit at being human.

Become a true nihilist.

Yeah, everything sounds sucky if you actually describe that way. You are physical being all your emotions and feeling and thoughts physically exist and can be reproduced. It's the same for everyone and everything. You either learn to deal with or not. So yeah chase that dopamine high. Or do some other task that you feel compelled to do, like muse on your own existence. It really doesn't matter.

You fill your life with meaning, obviously.

Do what you find interesting.

Eh I think this is an overused meme. Being a nihilist doesn't mean you lack emotions. You can come to conclusions that you don't enjoy. It can be disconcerting to realize the utterpointlessness of your own existence. That being said it is much more enjoyable to be happy than sad so it isn't the worst advise.

If there were a god, who wanted us to worship him in a particular way, then there would only be one religion. The very fact that there are countless mutually contradictory religions is proof that god doesn't much care what you believe.

thank
I've been living in this state for years. I started doubting myself until I had a normal experience I didn't have in years. I got a dopamine high for about a week and returned to shit. It opened my eyes that normal people feel like this all the time, and how they can only maintain this state with a constant chase of dopamine high. Any small slip up can literally cost you your life. Maybe that's why people cling so much to positive thoughts and optimism, they somehow knew all along.

>Being a nihilist doesn't mean you lack emotions.

The fuck are you talking about? That image is about how freeing it is to realize that all the problems and worries you have are all ultimately meaningless, it's not about not having emotions.

extreme social inaptness, it's not even funny at this point anymore

Honestly, it sounds like you have an mental disorder like some form of depression. As much it is looked down upon you should go see a therapist or psychiatrist. It might be that you need physical help to alleviate a physical problem you have.

On the other note. I understand the desire to ignore the awfulness of the world. It might not be logical, but alot of the times it is the only way to survive. I listen to history podcasts when I'm going sleep. Just so I can ignore my own thoughts. It is kind of sucky that the only advise I can give is find some personal meaning somewhere. It is subjective, but that doesn't really matter in an subjective existence.

For me I enjoy helping people. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel useful and it gives a sense of purpose in my life. And while there is no objectivemess to why my actions are betting than getting high on heroin I personally find them more enjoyable.

Never forgot we are creatures with needs both physical and emotional.

If all your problems and worries are pointless then so are your goals and accomplishments. Not the same guy, but you can't have one half without the other.

So? Worthless to the cosmos =/= worthless to me.

Yeah, but then your worries also matter to you. In reality nihilism should be a neutral effect on your mood.

Only the most narcissistic person thinks his actions will resonate for all time, most of us already understand that winning a foot race or climbing a mountain or writing a book are finite accomplishments. On the other hand, when in the grip of a negative emotion, it very much can feel as tho our failure or setback is cosmic in scope, and in these situations a nihilistic perspective is extremely helpful.

I guess if you ARE a narcissist then the nihilistic perspective would also be helpful to deflate your own sense of comsic significance.

Christianity.

God loves you man. Get therapist help and start living life.

I understand what you are saying. People tend to focus too much on the negatives of life. So nihilism is good because people blow the bad things out of proportion. But, I don't think people believe their failures will resonate in time or that they are cosmic in scope. Their failures are very personal and matter because they care about them individually. So, I am not really convinced that nihilism will make someone happier or sadder. But, more personal insults my convince me.

>Only the most narcissistic person thinks his actions will resonate for all time
but literally everything that happens is eternal because it will always be true that it happened just like it was always true that it would happen
everything you do is written into the one story of your life within the one story of reality
so what you do should be good and significant

Mmm yeah, no. I used to live like you and now I live normally, as you would describe it. It's not having a constant goose chase with dopamine. When you have a healthy mindset, or finally escape the mindset you are describing, you just do whatever makes you feel human. You never really obsessively chase the dopamine, instead it's a function that happens by itself, 99% of the time with you not even noticing it happens.

I want to do something=Feeling good about doing it=dopamine=now I want to do the same again cause I liked doing\now I want to do something different=dopamine=oh would you look at that I am unconsciously chasing dopamine while all I thought I was doing was doing something that fullfills me, oh well=repeat.

Now to you that might sound depressing/obnoxious
"So all our existence is in consciously chasing personal fulfilment?"

Yeah. Yeah it is. That's how human things function. By doing things that make them feel like they are humans, instead of shacks of shit. And the fact that those things don't matter in the big picture is meaningless itself. Because while they might not matter to people a thousand years from now, it matters for the moment because it makes you feel like you matter.

Now get over it, go get a therapist/read some self-help book (that's how I escaped it) and go out there and do whatever makes you feel like you matter, cause that's what humans do damnit.

*** "So all our existence is UNconsciously chasing personal fulfilment?"

damn autocorrect

I find that if I embrace contentness with the things that happen in my life, then I become nihilistic. And when I become nihilistic the people around me criticise my selfishness.

Does anyone else know what I mean? Nihilism makes people dickheads basically.

hey wait a minute

im starting to think this thread doesnt have anything to do with history.........

& humanities, but yeah not much difference from someone on /r9k/ complaining about how much of a beta he is.

>nothing matters but do stuff anyway otherwise your system melts down and depression kills you
that's even worse mate

yes let's make another nazi/communist/religious bait thread!!!

When shit hits me the wrong way, I just chuckle. Kinda like Rand al'thor in the Wheel of Time series. Maybe going mad, not sure, just a sardonic chuckle, like, "oh, here is another pile of shit".

It helps

500mg testosterone injection per week

1.5mg alprazolam 30 minutes before every social situation

Good attitude, though maybe more dismissive and cynical than smug sense of superiority the way describes. Less the belief you are superior to everyone else and more the realization everyone is down here in the shit with you and only you realize it.

>Kinda like Rand al'thor in the Wheel of Time series.
An example would be realizing how nerdy this is and how it makes people cringe but doing it anyway, going deeper into your autistic fantasies because you realize how petty normies are with their own bullshit, expecting you to have heard about Kim Kardashian's hemorrhoids to be considered cool and fashionable or whatever, why should you be any different. When someone bullies you pull a smug grin and continue regardless, you find ways to make sure you can do so out in the open.

go clean your toilet

Read Spinoza and Kierkegaard, then try to find spirituality.

explain

Well, maybe, but that's just reality. Everyone needs to accept parts of reality they don't like. For some its the death of a loved one, and the fact they're never coming back. For most people it's the inevitability of death. For you it's the exact opposite, it's the struggle of living. But you, as all who get over those things they don't like, need to accept it and move on.
Yes, life is hard, and yes a satisfying life can be achieved only if you want to achieve it.
Now you have two options. Engage in the natural function of humans(doing things you want to get dopamine) or just sit there, mope about how what I said is unfair and depressing, and let your depression eat you up.

Fact:
You won't feel depressed if you kill yourself.

>How do I stop being a depressed, nihilistic shit? I'll take anything at this point

1g of cannabis sativa & some form of multi media engagement, and 20-40 minutes of sweating exercise a day