Where the fuck does this symbol come from? I've heard lots of Turkic...

Where the fuck does this symbol come from? I've heard lots of Turkic, Arab and Byzantine theories and none seems really solid.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wVk2B_Z8fEc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Ottomans, you retard.

The One muslim Moon god.

Some say it comes from Constantinople, others from Turkic tribes, others from the Mongols and some think it came from pre-islamic Arabic gods.

There's a little bit of evidence for all of them but none are solid as I understand it.

Europeans were using it before it became popular in Islam.

youtu.be/wVk2B_Z8fEc

It was used by the Mesopotamians first, then by the Medians, then the Achaemenids followed by the Parthians and Sassanians. The ummayads used it on their coins and so did the Abbasids. Thanks Abbasids were cucked by Turks who liked to LARP as Arabs. That's where they came in contact with Europe (via the Ottomans who also used the crescent). This made it a Turkish symbol in the eyes of Europe and gave rise to fantastical theories like 'Muh Moon god"

This.

For all the shit Assyrians are taking today from muslims they sure love to steal their pagan motifs.

well you take the moon and you take the sun

I miss Chowder

Circumstantial evidence at best

What if they just looked up in the sky one night and were like 'that looks pretty neat.'

get out, druggie retard

>hypotheses with least crazy leaps
>I'm the druggie

I like how it's astronomically accurate.

The star is not within the crescent.

That is impossible to observe in the real world.

baphomet had the star and crescent before, baphomet is appropiated by mohammed as a symbol for his warrior God to differntiate it from the loving christian God

are you dumb

I thought it was from the kaaba when it was full of idols, and after muhammed destroyed them all he left this one as an acceptable symbol. Hence one of the reasons why some people think allah is the moon god

That was my understanding as well. Although it's very likely the moon worship was inherited from the older mesopotamian cults.

>What if they just looked up in the sky one night and were like 'that looks pretty neat.'

That seems to be the case actually, hence why it seems to pop up in various areas and have various sources.

it's actually a moon eclipsing the sun

it was a turkic symbol. the original arab caliphate uses solid color as their flag. pic related the ummayyads

and pic related the abbasids

the fatimids

Mohammed and the rashidun caliphate

It was developed independently. It's not that complex of a shape as the star from it fits in with the curve well. It's like the swastika, it just works.

Are you?

I'm not referring to the shapes but he phenomenon itself - it is astronomically accurate. When there is a crescent moon you will not see stars within the crescent.

>he left this one as an acceptable symbol

Where's the source for this?

wasn't the baphomet a medieval creation?

The symbol was used by a lot of different peoples for a long time, it isn't exclusively muslim nor was it a muslim invention.

baphomet exists in some medina ruins, and its proably this the crusaers came across

As a Turk I was taught something completely different from what I have read so far. I am however not certain of its credibility.

There was a war that left only one man standing, he scurried himself to one of his deceased companions and looked at him. There was a shining crescent moon reflecting on his bloody armor. This created as what we know now as the Turkish/Ottoman flag.

Some have also said that it was Osman Gazi himself, or in his dreams.
Pic unrelated

Moon-and-Star played a role in the Nerevarine Prophecies, as it allowed the Nerevarine, the reincarnation of Nerevar, to again unite the Great Houses and Ashlander clans, this time in the battle against the forces of Dagoth Ur.

Interesting theory. First the sun becomes a crescent, then, when total eclipse is achieved, the "star" appears.

Thats one hell of a national legend, thanks for sharing

Did Ottomans fight with pikemen like this?

>Used by Sumerians
>Copied by Babylonians
>Copied by neo Babylonians
>Copied by Medes
>Copied by Achaemenids
>Copied by Sassanids to LARP as Achaemenids
>Coins with Crescent are coped by Umayyads
>Become military embelm
>Copied by Abbasids
>Abbasids hire Turkish and Turkic mercenaries
>Copy the crescent
>Start various Sultanates with the Crescent
>All Muslim Powers except the Ottomans collapse
>It's also the only one in contact with the west
>Ottoman Empire is the representative of Islam to the west
>Become a symbol of Islam
>Adopted by Muslim leaders with western education

The symbol is extremely ancient but its use by the Turks dates from their contacts with the Byzantines, who used it as the symbol of their capital.

Whats the meaning in European heraldry?

>its use by the Turks dates from their contacts with the Byzantines

Nope, Turkic khanates used in central Asia.

To Assyrian and Babylonian times at least, where it was associatedd with the godess Ishtar, and Ur 4000 years ago.

pic relate: coin of Roman Emperor Hadrian (r. 117–138).

Baphomet is just a deformation of Mahomet who is the French version of Muhammad

Sauce?

You'll find heaps of legends like that in Turkey and across the Balkans. The "vision-inspired hero of the nation" trope is everywhere in the region. Probably a mix of Greco-Roman tradition and Abrahamic religious revelation.

I heard a different version of the same story desu.
The soldier saw a puddle of blood after a battle and when the moon was shining on it he got the idea of making it a flag.