Are there any interesting theories explaining American school shootings that aren't simply "guns are bad"?

Are there any interesting theories explaining American school shootings that aren't simply "guns are bad"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lGYFRzf2Xww
gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/116649/rec-crime-1898-2002.xls
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_London#Population
columbinegame.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

American culture is a hellish soup of contradicting cultural currents and this scrambles people's brains

I would be interested to see this argument in a format longer than a sentence.

The material conditions and inherent contradictions of capitalist society cause the alienation of the individual and utterly and completely pervert his conception of the world and sense of accomplishment leading to widespread madness trying to cope with capitalist reality.

>Hehe, look at that quiet faggot being all quiet!
>Lets antagonize him until he goes mad!

This sounds so pre-D&G.

Angry men have always lashed out when they want to hurt people, in the 1930s they did it by robbing banks and holding people hostage, in the 70s they snapped and killed an enormous amount of kids/girls, and today they do it by taking a gun to a school and going for a highscore. They'd do something else if guns weren't around, in China they have crazy motherfuckers who go off the deep end and stab hundreds of people.

spot the historical inaccuracies.

youtube.com/watch?v=lGYFRzf2Xww

actually. everything is made up and the facts don't matter. welcome to Whose Breadline is it anyways? I'm your hose Comrade Michael Moore.

It's harder to get a high score with just a knife

And what did they do in, say, Victorian times? Spree killings simply weren't a thing back then and they didn't have a lot of robbery.

Also alot worse records of the poor

you just don't know how to use it.

a large chef utility knife 4-6 inches long. stabbed horizontal under the left arm at about nipple height, will pierce the heart.

Go absolutely fucking crazy and disassemble then nearest prostitute or family member
They didn't have spree killings but there are countless stories apart from Jack the Ripper of angry men with horrible jobs and a grindingly impoverished lives just taking a butchers knife or an axe and fucking up the nearest person.

That's why there are ribs there.

Widespread use of SSRIs have been correlated with a lot of mass shooting events.

A guy in China went into a mine with a knife and literally murdered like 80 people

you have to hold the blade parallel to the floor.

Unless you really dink it square into a rib. you should slip over or under a rib and keep going.

*cough* *cough* *cough*

Granted, the crime and murder rate in general was absolutely ridiculous, and probably even more ridiculous than we'll ever know given what was likely underreporting.

I think the fact that violence was more acceptable served as a safety valve for these things. School shooters rarely got involved in proper fights with their tormentors. The savvy bully positions himself just short of that boundary. That way if the nerd lashes out, he gets in trouble.

If he doesn't, he gets madder and madder and eventually brings a gun.

Chinamen are only worth a quarter of a person due to their lack of souls.

More or less covered in the flick.

Despite being a despicable piece with its harassment of Charlton Heston and rotting bias, the show didn't focus entirely on guns, and spent a lot of time covering various possible root cultural problems.

>I think the fact that violence was more acceptable served as a safety valve for these things. School shooters rarely got involved in proper fights with their tormentors. The savvy bully positions himself just short of that boundary.
This is probably it. These days with the "zero tolerance" policies getting in a proper fistfight with a bully may well get you expelled. Best case scenario, the bully gets expelled, too.

Most school shooters aren't really bullied any more than the average kid though. The whole "kid snaps one day and then brings a gun to school the next and kills a shit ton of people" thing is a meme, it's usually isolated people that resent their isolation in some way, and take out that resentment on others.

Then go study sociology like the faggot you are.

>inherent contradictions of capitalist society

Name one (1)

>schizo Amerifat shoots someone
>it's Capitalism's fault!

humans are nasty, and they prey on the weak.
Sad!

Mark Ames' Going Postal is good book about this. It's been a while since I read it, but it's position is pretty much that during Reagan mass layoffs, hostile management practices and pressure for employees to "overperform" turned the office into an incredibly hostile place for some people, while at the same time there's a degree of economic thigtening on the middle class. Some people fell to the bottom of the barrel in the whole thing and lashed out in shootings. Others passed that pressure onto their children, which added to the effort required to send children to decent schools, growing educational requirements both for college and the job market, and overall apathetic and hostile school environments, ends with kids under more pressure that they can handle.

The social narratives telling experiences totally different from those people's add to the issue.

Or at least that's what I remember of it. It might differ some.

>implying the easy access to firearms is not a major factor for the high numbers of school shootings in the US.

>two sociopathic narcissists did it first at Columbine
>the media mythologized them as bullied teens who took the power back
>copycats start doing it
>the media makes money by covering these shootings
>suddenly every psycho teenager knows how he can get his likeness and personal manifesto plastered all over CNN

And that's how it happened.

Do you have any proof about that?

>the crime and murder rate in general was absolutely ridiculous,
Murder stats are difficult to compare because we have more advanced medicine now, which saves would be murder victims, so let's look at something simpler like robbery. If we look at robbery in London, I hope that by "ridiculous" you mean "ridiculously low".
>Year | Total robbery | Population
>1898 | 354 | circa 5500000
>1997 | 63072 | circa 7400000
If we assumed that only 1 in 100 robberies was reported in 1898 and that every single robbery was reported in 1997 (i.e., if we were cruelly biased against the Victorians' ability to maintain piece and order), it would still mean they had lower crime per capita in 1898 than in 1997. Jack aside, Victorian Londoners lived in a safer city than today's.

gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/116649/rec-crime-1898-2002.xls
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_London#Population

>this fact is difficult to respond to so let's not
Jesus, in the first sentence I knew your post would be trash

I have, that's why I want this argument in a format longer than a sentence.

It isn't that they're bullied more. Even if many kids are bullied to the same degree, the shooters are the more violent sort of person who, in a different environment, would have settled the score with the bully with fisticuffs, but in a US school they can't.

Do you disagree that advances in medicine affect murder stats or what?

>Are there any interesting theories explaining American school shootings that aren't simply "guns are bad"?

Well, I'm sure it couldn't have anything to do with the pharmaceutical industry pushing psychomeds on everybody...

Depression, social isolation, anger management issues, loneliness. There.

No and I never said I did, but you brush off murder stats that are comparable if not worse than today as all being because of shitty medicine.

THEN WHY DIDNT THIS SHIT HAPPEN IN LIKE THE 1960'S YER DUMD SHITE

Because this was before the advent of insta-fame through the news, so people took out those feelings by strangling a bunch of little boys or women

>Are there any interesting theories explaining American school shootings that aren't simply "guns are bad"?

Mark Ames published a book in 1990, Going Postal, arguing that the rise in workplace shootings was the result of economic influence.

You can sort of apply this argument to school shootings as well. Or at least the very few school shootings that aren't the result of other criminal activity or just happen to occur near schools but are for propaganda reasons still counted as school shootings.

I would argue that a combination of economic reality and economic signalling meeting relative deprivation results in violence.

>in China they have crazy motherfuckers who go off the deep end and stab hundreds of people.

This is not true. Many of the knife attacks in China deliberately target Han Chinese because the Uighurs feel like they are being occupied.

All right, I'll elaborate. The number of murders per capita in 1997 is almost twice that of 1898. I assume it to be hard to underreport murders the same way you might underreport robberies, so 2x underreporting in 1898 and no underreporting in 1997 would bring us close to parity... Except that modern medicine is known to turn murder into other kinds of violent crime, which suggests that there may be a greater number of violent attacks today that in Victorian London would have ended up murders. This is a pretty complicated matter to give a fair treatment in the space of a Veeky Forums post, so I left it aside because (as I mistakenly thought was clear) my argument works even if you assume the same murder rate. Why? Because as far as I can tell, my comparison for robberies is sound. A much lower number of robberies per capita would mean a city that's considerably safer to live in.

>the same murder rate
Or a slightly higher murder rate. Because today you're way more likely to get robbed than murdered.

well there was that university shooting in texas, although he wasn't a student or faculty which is usually what people mean

>although he wasn't a student
wait i'm retarded, i had it mixed up with something else i guess

Are there any good example of non-satirical media where school shooters are portrayed as sympathetic/the "good guys"? I am not disagreeing with you, just looking for clear examples.

>inb4 columbinegame.com/
I said non-satirical.