What are some good Veeky Forumstorical movies to watch?

What are some good Veeky Forumstorical movies to watch?

The Last Emperor

Dayum Hindenburg looking like a boss

Western or non-Western?

>history docs
A World at War - an absolute top tier documentary series on world war two, over a dozen volumes, produced by brits in the 70's

BBC Civilization (1969) - a comprehensive history of art, culture, and the societiies of western europe from the fall of the west roman empire up until the modern era

Meet the Romans with Mary Beard - a pretty neat look at several classes of society within Rome, slaves, merchants, crafstmen, children etc (she's a great writer too)

>historical fiction
The Last King - a pretty top tier series on netflix right now, about king arthur and an english born, dane raised dude who try to reclaim danish-occupied territories of northern england

Ben Hur (1959) - probably the one of the best films of the 50's and one of the first films to introduce the concept of big budget into film, about a judean prince under roman occupation, some jesus stuff, just watch the shit out of it

The Fatal Attraction of Adolf Hitler

Tombstone

Doesn't matter.

Stalingrad (1993)

Letters from Iwo Jima

The Birth of a Nation.
Intolerance.

The Reverent.
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
There Will Be Blood.
[Entering the Autism Zone]
Gettysburg.

>Das Boot
>Lawrence of Arabia
>Master and Commander
>Waterloo
>Zulu

Der Untergang

Alexander

I think it's one of the last movies from Hollywood where the battles were filmed in live action with huge crowds of extras instead of just a few people superimposed against a CG backdrop.
Could be totally wrong though. If there are any recent historical flicks that had legit live action battles, then I'd be more than happy to hear about them.

Salo

Mississippi Burning

This one of my favourites, even if you no nothing of Chinese history its a great gateway into it, its also what i consider one the most interesting time periods in chinese history the first half of the 20th century.

Tora Tora Tora

Barry Lyndon is in my opinion the greatest film ever made, and it's also pretty good as a period piece costume drama

Waterloo 1970

They hired the soviet army to star as thousands of extras and form the real life formations used in waterloo. This includes the amazing cavalry charges.

Rod steiger and Christopher Plummer are Napoleon and the duke of wellington and they both give amazing performances.

I fucking love that movie

The highwayman scene is pure kino

the trio under the silk sheets must be the most exciting sex scene ever made desu