Futures, FX and Equities General

This thread is for the general discussion of topics related to futures contracts, forex major pairs (spot or forwards), and Equities (US or UK)

(No crypto posts please)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nwR5b6E0Xo4?t=751
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

HODL

But user, what about BTC futures?

Trying to avoid crypto in here since there are literally 120 other posts related to crypto already on /biz right now

is there still any upside left in grain prices? Right now they're the top performing commodity class and have been on a roll for the first two quarters. Also, will coffee be able to reverse its downside anytime this year? It's down worse than oil :/

What sort of indicators do you use when trading?

I find bollinger bands to be quite good at helping me to judge when to reduce my long positions on the precious metals. Gold and Silver tend to form peaks, on the daily charts, quite near to topper bands, frequently. They don't seem to often ride them when they increase in price (or at least haven't exhibited much of that this year), they usually drop away.

I tend not to speculate whether or not they're going to ride them, I think it's always safer to reduce my long position. However, you could probably use some momentum indicator to help you speculate on whether or not they are going to ride the upper band.

Has anyone noticed anything else like?

Come to biz and just to check but not expecting much. See three forex threads. What, really? Wow.

personally (my opinion) i think grain has moved up rather quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if it retraced at least slightly in the next couple weeks. I would remain bullish on it though

I personally like to use stochastics, rsi, and MACD

I don't use bollinger bands very often but that is interesting on gold and silver with the peaks
Do you use the default calculation of the bands? (20sma with a dev of 2)

yeah, I'm assuming larger players are trading according to them as well, it's working a little too well :)

but obviously TA is a meme, and there's absolutely no reason to learn a tool the larger market uses

TA is a meme but if enough people see and trade on the same thing it works very well. Basically if enough people push on the same tree, it will fall

I won't argue there, I think it's stupid to ignore anything that's impacting something though

Why are you saying this in a futures thread when the market is mainly divided into producers, consumers, dealers and swap dealers, and technical funds?

could you explain your question further, I'm not sure sure what you're getting at?

yeah ik what you mean. The best indicator is still trend analysis ;)

Are you implying that people trading futures aren't primary speculators and are actually a bunch of farmers?

No. The futures market is primarily the dance between the "commercials"(in your example that includes farmers and also companies like General Mills) and the "large speculators".

I use options to just make high probability trades. Delta hedging my portfolio and allowing theta decay to work in my favor. Cut out all the noise, buy when stuff gets beaten up and sell into the rallies. Contrarian style.

Thank you Tastytrade. You make this stuff easy so anyone can do it.

youtu.be/nwR5b6E0Xo4?t=751

(start from about 12:30)

you can speculate on the movement of a lot of things, not just commodities, and you close your position by either buying or selling the contract to close your position (at a profit or loss).

sorry, not THE contract - you buy or sell A contract

I got in the USD/MXN pair as soon as Trump started talking about the rapists and the wall. The Peso went crazy. I rode that wave all the way to the election then cashed out. Did the same with the NAFTA talks a few months ago. Gonna wait for the wall construction to start moving forward then ill probably ride it again.

Recommend it to others.

dollar index also took a dive earlier this year when he said the higher dollar would hurt exports, during a fucking interview

That's nice but it's just theoretical. And how is that related to my post?

well that's why price movements of commodities were being talked about (I'm still not really sure what you were asking about here )

I was asking why you all are saying that technical analysis is a meme when a large percentage of the large speculators are technical funds.

Oh, well biz has this idea that it is. Frankly, most things to with with trading and investing are, I can't deny that. Unless you're discounting something, or looking for arbitrage opportunities, it's mostly speculation, and following the crowd, Of course you can disagree with that, just my belief.

But I would agree with you that it's fucking retarded ignore TA, particularly for commodities (please, if you're reading this, ignore those people who say TA is 'reading tea leaves', it is what is used, and it is against your interest to ignore it)