What is the best legacy of Roman Empire in your opinion?

What is the best legacy of Roman Empire in your opinion?

>Roman Catholic Church
>Latin Alphabet
>Civil Law
>Republic
>Romance Language

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar
twitter.com/AnonBabble

roads and empire wide standardization.

Not being Greeks.

military organization. Marius is basically the most influential general in history when it comes to logistics. The idea of professional "mules" that can do anything and everything is the basis for basically all modern infantry doctrine.

Almost a millenia worth of Holy Roman Empire memes and Europeans yelling "I'm tr00 Rome" to each other.

Probably rule of law. For example the laws that govern general partnerships come from Rome and are virtually unchanged from the Roman law. LAaws f general partnership are among the oldest ones in Europe.

I was gonna say the law code.

This, in all actuality. The spirit of Rome lies in it being the first western Empire. It is the standard for Western Civilization, and is something to aspire to at all times.

>Roman Catholic Church
Wouldn't really call it good

>Latin Alphabet
The Greek alphabet was being used in many places anyways

>Civil Law
Their law system was good

>Republic
This was good as well

>Romance Language
I wouldn't say their language in itself is anything that should be praised. They just spoke it, it's not like they engineered it.

I'd vote their engineering (especially military) would be their most outstanding legacy. Their field engineers and siege capability is what set them apart. Their military organization and logistics were also impressive though.

I suppose Alexander's was both too brief and too eastern influenced for such a legacy. I do prefer the Roman Empire, though.

That's the stupidest picture I ever saw.

>It is the standard for Western Civilization, and is something to aspire to at all times.
>Balkanizes the Empire
GG Eurofaggots.

Their architectual/Engineerings prowess was a marvel. They could have created the Suez Canal if they so wished to organize the labor effort for it. Though, the Grand Canal had it beat in terms of engineering marvel, the Suez Canal would have made an interesting change to trade for the Roman Empire.

The Church

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_calendar

The Aeneid.

t. Ptolemy Sisterpator

Christianity

A standard, for every of its descendant to look up

The memes

No he is right, Romans weren't a 'nation'

>The Aeneid.
I won't pretend to have read it, but it sounds kinda lame from what ive heard

>we wuz trojanz n shiet
>plot is totally not a rip off of the odyssey guys i swear

I've never looked at it that way. Holy shit

>T.Footguard

Unironically this. Without the backing of the Roman Empire, Christianity would have never become widespread as it is, and all of western history would have been completely different.

You don't read for the classic for the plot, you read them for the prose.

Rule of law I'd say
But generally most aspects of western society in some way or another try to emulate or are influenced by the based romans

Honestly, everything that the Romans and their contemporaries and predecessors gave to us is of such vital importance to the development of the modern day that to remove any one thing from the equation would create a world that would be unrecognizable.

Architecture

Everything related to Latin

being able to implement greek culture into their own.

Race-mixing, corruption, globalism.

No you to. Although calling Romans a "Nation" is also pretty erroneous.

I'm commenting more on tha CARTHAGINIAN MERCENARY ARMY meme.

The fact of the matter is both Rome and Carthage ran similar military systems wherein at its core was an army of its own citizens surrounded by those of their allies, and assorted mercenaries.

The Roman Army had in its core, own legions, attached by the legions of their italian allies (the Socii), and any mercenaries they have in their employ.

The Carthaginian army's core is that of the civic army: Carthaginian Citizens. Attached to it were the soldiers of their Liby-Phoenician subjects, and then their mercenaries.

Carthage stopped relying on mercenaries after the shit first Punic war and the Mercenaries War (where they failed to pay their mercs who then subsequently revolted). By the time Hannibal went to Spain, it was a Carthaginian army by that point.

Exterminating the Carthaginians. We need to resurrect that attitude towards North Africans.

>Roman Catholic Church
Thank Christians in general for that.
>Latin Alphabet
If it wasn't for the latin Alphabet, there'd be some other alphabet in its place. It's merely a tool.
>Republic
The Greeks did this first.
>Romance Languages
Eh, natural emergence of national languages from vulgar Latin isn't really a direct contribution of Rome.

I say it's law.