Cannabis use throughout history?

Are there any well known historical figures, who have smoked/ate weed?

Preferable philosophers and intellectuals

Other urls found in this thread:

human.cc.hirosaki-u.ac.jp/philips/publications.htm
journals.co.za/docserver/fulltext/sajsci/97/1-2/sajsci_v97_n1_a8.pdf?expires=1493915430&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=7F2B5F1C79FE13C6178DDA4797911302
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As far as I know, it was kind of just a traditional practice relegated to Central Asia and India for the vast majority of history.

Shiva was a known blunt burner, if I recall.

Thanks for the input; but I'd prefer non made-up people

I read somewhere that it was found growing in the tomb of King Solomon.

Didn't the founding fathers of the U.S. grow hemp farms?

Carl Sagan

Acient scythians burnt hemp in their bonfires.
Soldiers in the 17/18th century got often weed to smoke because tabacco was to expensive

you could say hemp was the #1 crop at the time

It is said that pipes containing cannabis and cocaine resin were found at William Shakespeare's residence during an excavation or something

I don't think they were growing it to smoke, but it is possible they did occasionally.

Yes, they did.

Hemp =/= Pot, of course.

Not that I don't believe it possible but I'm going to need a source for sure

This.
Hemp was grown for the fiber, to make rope to hang niggers. And for sailing.

>have 700 wives
>a temple made of gold
>smoke blunts and make up proverbs all day

What a life.

Herodotus wrote about barbarian tribes that would sit around the fire and throw a bunch of pot into it

>tfw you will never travel with your best friends, your slaves and 29 prostitutes while being stoned as fuck

>tfw you can't live this life today unless you're willing to become a brutal psycho dictator

No one thought of burning it? Did they not know? Or were they against it?

Why would they burn it?
You can't hang niggers if you've burned up all your rope.

strains of cannabis that get one high as fuck were usually found in particular climates and used only by folks there.
by contrast, regular old hemp, the stuff that would kill you of smoke inhalation before you got high, that stuff grew everywhere.

There was no smoking of it in ancient times aside from the Scythian cauldrons and a Chinese mention of adding it to incense burners. Full on smoking directly from pipes didn't take off until after the discovery of tobacco. The two sources on wikipedia which claim otherwise are dubious and one of them only briefly mentions it in the introduction of a book and never mentions it again. The claims of smoking pipe usage before the colonial era seem to be increasing everyday, probably by people with an agenda e.g. cannabis bux.

It was likely used for fabrics, medicinal concoctions, and as a cooking spice. The traditional Indian method of usage in the region of the plants origin is through the Bhang beverage.
James P. Mallory and Victor H. Mair, two reputable scholars on Indo-Europeans and Sinology respectively, unlike this goof
>human.cc.hirosaki-u.ac.jp/philips/publications.htm
wrote in a publication on the Tarim mummies that evidence of the production of drinks containing extracts from poppy, cannabis, and ephedra were found in sites from Bactria and Margiana.

Hashish enjoyed some popularity among artists in 19th century Europe.

ctrl+F

No hashishin?

No Nietzsche-en?

fuckin noobs

So like, the weed grows fucking everywhere and feels fucking amazing when activated for the brain.

I can't imagine any scenario where it wasn't enjoyed throughout history.

It can be hard to think when you're stoned.

This is very true lel.
But do you know what I mean? Alcohol has a pretty well documented history, but weed doesn't? Spooks imo

Yes, but only hemp. Marijuana is a byproduct of Hemp.

IIRC, you can harvest hemp before marijuana flowers bloom.

>Acquire Currency
>Cavort with the local harlots
>Burn the hemp to achieve an alternate state of mind

Ahh yes, the three rights of the Declaration of Independence.

Weed is a shit drug and barely anybody used it
Opium was the real shit.
Sea people's smoked it while rampaging throughout the Mediterranean, Alexander's forces were nodding through Persia, and Hippocrates recognized it's medicinal qualities.

Don't be a ropemaking loser. Smoke opium.

Didn't the Greeks see drug use (other than alcohol) as something the decadent Easterners did?

chasing the dragon aren´t you

Just recognizing the indisputable fact that marijuana is historically irrelevant compared to the opium juggernaut. I don't see any"Marijuana Wars", do you?

> I don't see any"Marijuana Wars", do you?
I´m a spic. I´m living inside it.

How do you endure the naval shelling and unequal treaties?

methods are more subtle

By listening "Contrabando y traición" & "Pacas de a kilo" on repeat.

journals.co.za/docserver/fulltext/sajsci/97/1-2/sajsci_v97_n1_a8.pdf?expires=1493915430&id=id&accname=guest&checksum=7F2B5F1C79FE13C6178DDA4797911302

see Martin Booth's book on same.