How do you go from this

How do you go from this

To this

To this?

Archery

Infinitely better desu

Sadly the most aesthetic military is not always the most cost-effective military.

>not wanting to control arrows with your heart

>it's another "the Roman military was weaker post-Diocletian than pre-Diocletian" episode

adaptability

Lack of Roman manpower, forced empire to use more and more foreign people?

Roman legions were certainly stronger post-Diocletian in terms of technology

And then, to this?

I know, I was ridiculing the people who think the Roman Empire was some kind of crippled hulk in the fourth century, when it was arguably at the height of its power.

To this?

Because the second one was significantly better.

Besides, chainmail was always the roman army's primary armor type. Lorica segmentata was never too popular among the soldiers due to its many disadvantages.

And

Finally

To this?

Roman armies used mail in majority of their history not this meme plate.

This part is because Greeks were heavily influenced by Sassanids which preferred much more heavily armoured infantry and cavalry.

doesn't look as striking though. That plate armor is instantly recognizable and inspires the awe due to a world conquering power.

>Height of its power
>Lost to shit slinging barbarians

to this

DELELELELLELELEEEEEEETTTTT THHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

barbarians were getting better too luigi.

>tfw genuinely like the Ancient, Medieval and Modern muslim aesthetic (not a great fan of the contemporary one, since I find the clash between their traditional outlook and the Western globalist influences distasteful, but this applies for most Western cultures too)
>tfw can't say it without having sperglords telling me to suck Jamal's dick

I-I just like civlizations that look alien to me

pic related: how cool is this guy?

To this?

Guy in th background is like "HAHA di niiggga tink hes some aladin an shit" epic roast

Please explain how less armor and gayer looking equipment is a good thing for heavy infantry

How does chainmail compare to lorica segmentata?

O no, now he won't get assfucked as easily. Fucking queer

no no no no no no no no no

>less armor
He literally has more armor.

>gayer looking
Says the faggot.

>He thinks a full mail shirt is a thousand times better than lorica Segmentata

>can be put on alone
>easy to maintain/repair
>can last for decades
>one size fits most
>can stop all cuts
>with padding can also stop thrusts and arrows

Vs

>needs two men to equip
>needs dedicated blacksmih to repair
>needs constant supplies of leather to hold it togethet
>each set needs to be fitted to the wearer
>a blade can slide between the plates

Segmatafags are delusional and are the worst Romeboos. Not only does it suck its also less aesthetic than late romans.

Nigga that's gay

Go fucking kill yourself, lorica segmentata is trash, Hollywood legionaries are pleb tier. Fringe useless armor that only plebs find aesthetic, mail is superior.

Manipular legions > late roman legions >byzantine legions > trash > segmentata fags

>segmentatafags dont find this aesthetic

S L E E K

to THIS?

Sexy AF weren't they basically latins?

looks like they're wearing fucking quilts
absolutely hideous

I unironically prefer late Roman art

Look at this ridiculous motherfucker. He's like the lost Bogdanoff brother

its not just you, orientalism is big on europe back then

To this?

A E S T H E T I C

>tfw the ottoman is the closest thing well ever have on gunpowder era roman empire

The Ottomans aren't really closer to a gundpowder-using Roman empire than any other civilisation that used gunpowder would be.

The Ottomans had absolutely zero in common with the Roman Empire or culture. I don't know where you get that from.

>shit-slinging barbarians
By the 300's AD, most Germanic tribes had access to Roman arms & armor; in fact, most of our finds of Roman arms & armor come from outside of the Empire.

The Empire wasn't declining, it reached a point where it couldn't get any stronger, and the barbarians just kept getting better.

Yes

Tfw greek fire is lost forever

Where do I find the books ( or book?) that these illustrations come from? I see them posted here all the time and I'd love to get my own copy

To this

Nice one

chainmail is slightly heavier, but the weight is distributed more evenly across the body.
The segmenta offers better protection for the parts that it actually covers, but it covers less, and it's easier to slip a dagger between the plates of a segmenta than the rings of a hamata.
the segmenta cost a lot more to make, as you needed a skilled blacksmith to make every plate, while the lowliest of apprentice could bang together a hamata.
The hamata was much, MUCH easier to repair, as you'd literally just carry extra rings with you, while you needed an entire replacement plate for every single part of the segmenta. This would have been less important if it was standardized, but it was not.
The hamata was easier to keep rust free, as you'd literally just dump a few of them with some sand into a barrel and roll it around, and then remove the sand, add some oil, roll it some more, and there you go, cleaned out chainmail, while you had to clean each individual plate of the segmenta.
The segmenta was probably the better armor, and if the roman army had supplied armor to legionaires, and been able to standardize it properly, chances are that it would have replaced the hamata, but since you had to buy and maintain your own equipment, the hamata reigned supreme.

>every legionary wore a segmentata
will this hollywood meme ever die

ROACHES GET OUT

to this

There's more to being good armor than combat effectiveness though. You said it yourself that logistically the hamata is superior to segmentata in most ways.
>if the roman army had supplied armor to legionaires, and been able to standardize it properly, chances are that it would have replaced the hamata, but since you had to buy and maintain your own equipment, the hamata reigned supreme.
I'm pretty sure this is only true up until a certain point. During and after the Tetrarchy most arms and armor were manufactured and paid for by the state.