Has Veeky Forums ever heard of the Seven Laws of Noah found throughout the first 5 books of the Bible that Jews believe...

Has Veeky Forums ever heard of the Seven Laws of Noah found throughout the first 5 books of the Bible that Jews believe adherence to is the only way for a non-Jew to be considered righteous and worthy of a place in the World to Come? What are your opinions on them?

They are:

1. Do not deny G-d.
2. Do not blaspheme G-d.
3. Do not murder.
4. Do not engage in illicit sexual relations.
5. Do not steal.
6. Do not eat from a live animal.
7. Establish courts/legal system to ensure obedience to the law.

They're retarded. Why does god care if I call him a prick? Why would the almighty creator of the universe have such a thin skin?

I'm a Noachide, there are some things to note:

As a movement it is still very much in its resurgent nascency, and that a codified set of observances and guidelines of living a righteous based on the laws given by G-d to Adam is still being developed.

The movement so far is linked primarily with Chabad Orthodox Judaism, but obviously there is still a large of amount of fractionalisation occurring.

The is often confusion over the idea that being a righteous B'nei Noah; and observing the details of the 7 Commandments that G-d commanded them at Mount Sinai for eternity, through Moses as part of the Torah. Is of a lesser status than the mitzvahs of Judaism. This is not the case.

Do you know about the asknoah organization? What are your opinions on their work/prayer books

If not, what do you use to pray or what Noahide organization do you support

I'll post some explanations of the laws:

1. Acknowledge that there is only one G‑d who is Infinite and Supreme above all things. Do not replace that Supreme Being with finite idols, be it yourself, or other beings. This command includes such acts as prayer, study and meditation. The prohibition of idolatry provides that the non-Jew does not have to "know G-d" but must disregard false gods. This law refers only to actual idolatrous acts but, unlike Jews, Noachides are not required to suffer martyrdom rather than break this law. They are, however, required to choose martyrdom over murder. The Tosefta (Av. Zar. 8:6) records four possible additional prohibitions against: (1) drinking the blood of a living animal; (2) emasculation; (3) sorcery; and (4) all magical practices listed in Deuteronomy 18:10–11. Genesis 2:16 states: “And L-rd G-d commanded to the man, saying…” This Divine command to Adam implies that only the One True G-d, the Creator of the spiritual and physical realms, should be obeyed and honored as the Deity, and the greatest honor is to serve and worship Him. Thus, one should serve and worship only the One True G-d, and not any idol. The Oral Torah (Tractate Sanhedrin, ch. 7) explains how all of these 7 Noahide Commandments are encoded within the Hebrew text of the verse Genesis 2:16: “And L-rd G-d commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat.’”

2. Respect the Creator. As frustrated and angry as you may be, do not vent it by cursing your Maker. Leviticus 24:10-17 relates the incident of a Jew who violated the injunction of Exodus 22:27 and blasphemed in anger. Moreover, it states in Leviticus 24:15, “ish ish” (any man) who curses his G-d shall bear his sin.” Why the double expression of “ish ish” (literally: “a man, a man”)? To include all mankind, Jews and Gentiles. This demonstrates that blasphemy thus is prohibited to Gentiles even as it is for Jews.

If you are interested, Asknoah is the most genuine ongoing outreach attempt regarding the Noahide code. Their three main books are probably the best on the subject.

3. Respect human life. Every human being is an entire world. To save a life is to save that entire world. To destroy a life is to destroy an entire world. To help others live is a corollary of this principle. The edict against murder, and the punishment for this transgression, is stated in Genesis 9:6: “Whoever sheds the blood of man, among man, his blood shall be shed; for in the image of G-d He made man.”

4. Respect the institution of marriage. Marriage is a most Divine act. The marriage of a man and a woman is a reflection of the oneness of G‑d and His creation. Disloyalty in marriage is an assault on that oneness. Five of the six types of relations that are forbidden by G-d to Gentiles are covered in Genesis 2:24: “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and cling to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” This verse explicitly forbids relations with one’s mother, with a woman who has ever been his father’s domestic partner or certified wife, with a woman who is currently a domestic partner or certified wife of another man, with another male, or with an animal. A Gentile is also forbidden to have relations with his maternal sister, which is learned from Gen. 20:13: “Moreover, she is indeed my sister, my father’s daughter, though not my mother’s daughter; and she became my wife.” (Note that Abraham said this to appease Abimelech. It was actually only figuratively true in his case, since Sarah was the daughter of Abraham’s brother. So they had the same paternal grandfather, who people often referred to as “father.”)

4. (cont.) It also was universally accepted that father-daughter relations would be included, as evidenced by the disgrace of Lot after he had relations with his two daughters, following G-d’s destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah (Gen. 19:29-36, and Rashi’s explanation of Gen. 20:1). Relations of a female with a female are likewise an abomination to G-d which is included as one of the subjects of the verse Lev. 18:3, which speaks against the immoral practices of the ancient Egyptians and Canaanites, and which Lev.18:30 refers to as “abominable traditions.” About these, the Midrash (Sifra) specifies: “A man would marry a man, a woman would marry a woman, and a woman would be married to two men.”

5. Respect the rights and property of others. Be honest in all your business dealings. By relying on G‑d rather than on our own conniving, we express our trust in Him as the Provider of Life. The prohibition of theft is contained within the permission which G-d granted to Adam and Hava (Eve) in Genesis 2:16 to eat from the trees of the garden. This implies that if the permission had not been granted, they would have been forbidden to do so, because the property did not belong to them. This applied specifically to the fruit of the Tree of “Knowledge of Good and Evil” which was forbidden for them to take, under penalty of death (Genesis 2:17). This Noahide commandment was cited explicitly by Abraham in Genesis 21:25.

interesting, but I've never seen what parts of the Torah can lead you to conclude that everyone one must follow these. If i remember correctly it's "Noahide" because it was a covenant with all of humanity from the time of Noah, yet there is no such list in that section of Genesis

Pick any set of laws you'd like to live by.

You will be unable to perfectly follow them. Even your own laws. Any laws.

Laws are not there to make you righteous; laws are there to make you a criminal.

That's what I assumed, it's a shame that a lot of their stuff is usually sold out or not translated into English yet. Have you read their first volume of The Divine Code?

Why are you censoring God as G-d? Is that actually kosher? Seems like kind of a cop out to me. I think using God is fine if using G-d is. They are both English euphenisms anyway. What you can't say is YHWH.

>The Oral Torah (Tractate Sanhedrin, ch. 7) explains how all of these 7 Noahide Commandments are encoded within the Hebrew text of the verse Genesis 2:16: “And L-rd G-d commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat.’”
jesus christ that's fucking silly

Jew virtue signalling.

Especially as God gave Noah the right to eat animals.

6. Respect G‑d's creatures. At first, Man was forbidden to consume meat. After the Great Flood, he was permitted - but with a warning: Do not cause unnecessary suffering to any creature. Adam and Hava (Eve) were not given permission to kill animals for food, and this remained in effect until after the Flood. G-d permitted the eating of meat for the first time to Noah and his family after they left the Ark, which is why G-d at that time added the seventh commandment, which prohibits the eating of meat that was severed from a living animal (even if it was stunned and insensitive). This commandment given to Noah is recorded in Genesis 9:4: “But meat, with its soul [which is in] its blood you shall not eat.”

7. Maintain justice. Justice is G‑d's business, but we are given the charge to lay down necessary laws and enforce them whenever we can. When we right the wrongs of society, we are acting as partners in the act of sustaining the creation. G-d commanded Noah regarding the trial and punishment of a murderer, as it says in Genesis 9:6, “Whoever sheds the blood of man, among man, his blood shall be shed…” This refers to a Noahide commandment to judge and penalize a murderer.This is explained as follows by the Talmudic Sages: “Whoever sheds the blood of man” (referring to the murderer), “among man” (i.e., he is to be prosecuted in a court by a man who is qualified to testify as a witness), “his blood shall be shed” (if convicted, he is liable to capital punishment by the court). The Noahide Code specifies that Gentile societies are obligated to abide by justice through establishing a system of righteous courts of law.

Maimonides held that Noachides must not only accept these seven laws on their own merit, but must also accept them as divinely revealed.

A lot of observant Jews avoid writing out the name if they knew there is a possibility of it being deleted/destroyed which is considered an offense

Even though the Talmud and Maimonides stipulate that a non-Jew who violated the Noachide laws was liable to capital punishment, contemporary authorities have expressed the view that this is only the maximal punishment. According to this view, there is a difference between Noachide law and halakhah. According to halakhah, when a Jew was liable for capital punishment it was a mandatory punishment, provided that all conditions had been met, whereas in Noachide law death is the maximal punishment, to be enforced only in exceptional cases.

A Gentile is not only responsible for observing just the specific Seven Noahide Commandments. Each commandment has many logical offshoots; for example, the prohibition against murder and injury teaches that a person must also refrain from spreading slanderous gossip about others. Therefore, Gentiles are also required to act in the morally upright ways that G-d expects. It is only that transgressions of the specific Seven Noahide Commandments are the most severe.

In essence, the affinity that the truly righteous gentile feels for the Jewish people ignites within his soul a fervent desire to cling to the G-d of Israel and His people. Bear in mind though, whichever observances B’nai Noah choose to keep, they must not keep the Shabbat according to Jewish Law, for the observance of the Shabbat was set aside for the Jewish people alone.

Can I ask you a question?

Why are you not going by what the bible says? Why are you going by what some people have written around some things the bible said, but adding things the bible is silent on?

For instance, there's no prohibition from causing suffering to any animal:

Genesis 9
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

really made me think

The two out of three big Important stuff, the prayer book and the 7 gates are ebooks, which is convenient. I've read the first part of the divine code but unfortunately it can be difficult to find a copy

>Therefore, Gentiles are also required to act in the morally upright ways that G-d expects

Would you like me to quote you several verses from the tanakh demonstrating that this is not what God expects, at all?

Or would you be satisfied with the obvious truth that God can neither be surprised nor disappointed?

Genesis 9:3-4

3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

4 “But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.

>all magical practices listed in Deuteronomy 18:10–11.
Could you elaborate on this.
One of my great concerns lately is that a prohibition against the use of magic requires it's intended audience to know magic when they see it, in the same way they know murder when they see it. The problem is I've realized that I don't what magic is from God's point of view.

For example:
God prohibits the act of divination. Ok, I have no problem with that, no tarot cards right? However as far as I know divination means predicting the future through "supernatural" means, so considering that I know Jews recognize the supernatural power possessed by numbers, what exactly separates statistical analysis from divination?

In short, I am concerned that we live in a society whose backbone is sorcery without even realizing it, which explains our wicked state.

I quoted that above.

It says nothing about suffering; it says only to drain the blood from the animal, and discard it. It's part of kosher meat preparation.

Normal moral people do not need to be told not to torture animals.

It gets worse.

The root word for sorcery and for drugs is the same. Pharmakeia.

Does our society seem to heavily rely upon Pharmakeia?

Not sure why you infer that everything the Jews do is kosher.

>Not sure why you infer that everything the Jews do is kosher.
I'm not, I'm just looking for various perspectives on this issue before I come to my own conclusion.

please do

Genesis 6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Genesis 8:21 And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma. Then the Lord said in His heart, “I will never again curse the ground for man’s sake, although the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.

Jeremiah 13:10 This evil people, who refuse to hear My words, who follow the dictates of their hearts, and walk after other gods to serve them and worship them, shall be just like this sash which is profitable for nothing.

Jeremiah 18:12 [ God’s Warning Rejected ] And they said, “That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one obey the dictates of his evil heart.”

Enough?

post some more

Fuck Abrahamic religions are so silly.

Why do they censor the name of their God?
That's fucked up

>according to the Talmud, were given by God
dropped