Why don't people mention Anglo Normans? Why is it always Anglo Saxon?

Why don't people mention Anglo Normans? Why is it always Anglo Saxon?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

All Germanic people are worthless scum so who cares

NORMAN SAW ON ENGLISH OAK
ON ENGLISH NECK A NORMAN YOKE
NORMAN SPOON TO ENGLISH DISH
AND ENGLAND RULED AS NORMANS WISH
BLITHE WORLD IN ENGLAND NEVER WILL BE MORE
TILL ENGLAND'S RID OF ALL THE FOUR

Explain pls

It's just a meme here in England.
Belief that Anglo-Saxon England was more 'free' and that the Normans imposed the worst parts of our society on us, hence 'Norman yoke'

Do poms get upset at being conquered by french meme vikings?

Well they're rightly or wrongly blamed for fucking up the language and introducing the class system, plus Harold Godwinson's loss felt like an unfair fluke since he'd just fought off the OTHER Vikings and spent a week marching 200 miles south to fight William

He could of waited for his reinforcements, while in London, or just stayed put entirely.
William had a huge army that was our foraging for supplies. Even after William won at Battle, on his way up to London a large portion of the army suffered disease.

what language are you speaking, remind me

daily reminder that english still got a germanic structure and most of the french/ latin words are rarely used in comparison to the germanic ones

They get mentioned more because Anglo-Saxons were essentially the people of England, barring a few parts of strong Celtic influence.

The "Anglo-Normans" just came over as the ruling class. They were to the English what the Moors were to Al-Andalus or the mongols were to the Yuan dynasty.

These people obviously had massive influence on the populations they subjugated, but overall the histories still talk about the Spanish or the Chinese or the English, rather than the Moors or the Mongols or the Normans, at least in relation to the areas being discussed.

or cambro-normans or hiberno-normans or italo-normans

>structure
>latin
>comparison
>rarely
>germanic
All are French world

>in
Latin

The reason he couldn't stay put, or well, why he probably didn't was that he, as a feudal lord, was supposed to protect his subjects, including protecting their lands against looting from a foreign army

That's nice user.

DELENDA EST

>3/25 words are of French origin
>Underlying sentence structure still Germanic

WOW YOU SURE SHOWED HIM.

>sentence from sentence FR
>structure from structure FR
>origin from origine FR
>germanic from gemanique FR
>French from Franceis FR

These terms originated in church-Latin, not French. They are being used in Nordic languages as well as a result of the crucial role of the church in terms of administration and education.

"My son," said the Norman Baron, "I am dying, and you will be heir
To all the broad acres in England that William gave me for share
When he conquered the Saxon at Hastings, and a nice little handful it is.
But before you go over to rule it I want you to understand this:–

"The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite.
But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right.
When he stands like an ox in the furrow – with his sullen set eyes on your own,
And grumbles, 'This isn't fair dealing,' my son, leave the Saxon alone.

"You can horsewhip your Gascony archers, or torture your Picardy spears;
But don't try that game on the Saxon; you'll have the whole brood round your ears.
From the richest old Thane in the county to the poorest chained serf in the field,
They'll be at you and on you like hornets, and, if you are wise, you will yield.

"But first you must master their language, their dialect, proverbs and songs.
Don't trust any clerk to interpret when they come with the tale of their wrongs.
Let them know that you know what they're saying; let them feel that you know what to say.
Yes, even when you want to go hunting, hear 'em out if it takes you all day.

They'll drink every hour of the daylight and poach every hour of the dark.
It's the sport not the rabbits they're after (we've plenty of game in the park).
Don't hang them or cut off their fingers. That's wasteful as well as unkind,
For a hard-bitten, South-country poacher makes the best man- at-arms you can find.

"Appear with your wife and the children at their weddings and funerals and feasts.
Be polite but not friendly to Bishops; be good to all poor parish priests.
Say 'we,' 'us' and 'ours' when you're talking, instead of 'you fellows' and 'I.'
Don't ride over seeds; keep your temper; and never you tell 'em a lie!"

Anglo Saxons was nearly latin-free before the Norman Conquest all these terms come from Old French/French

You're right mate we're speaking French right now.

Je suis un frog roh ho ho ho ho!

>3/25 words are of French origin

if you're trying to say English isn't a latin language, pretty much all business, tech, medical, educational, cooking, and engineering words and phrases are based on latin

What was their problem?
Why were they such a wandering band of murderhobos who love creating overnight states everywhere they went?
>That's a nice land you got there.
>Shame if someone were to invade it/hire us as mercenaries and THEN invade it/claim it via a dubious claim.

>our language wasn't cucked by the French trust me!

Because they were seriously just Vikings who had been barely recently civilised. Wouldn't it go to your head if the King of France bent the knee and gave you all of Normany just to stop raiding and being a prick? If it worked once, why not do it again?

They're all shit if you ask me. They love paki cock in their ass. As a Welshman it's hilarious.

Because Anglo Saxon is pre Norman identity, and the Normans reformed much in England

>Pro Deo amur et pro christian poblo et nostro commun saluament, d'ist di in auant, in quant Deus sauir et podir me dunat, si saluarai eo cist meon fradre Karlo, et in adiudha et in cadhuna cosa si cum om per dreit son fradra saluar dift, in o quid il mi altresi fazet. Et ab Ludher nul plaid nunquam prindrai qui meon uol cist meon fradre Karle in damno sit
Looks a lot like modern French doesn't it? Dumbass

They had more people than lands for
Same reason the celts exist from Portugal to Armenia and Tunisia to Ireland
The second great migration which shaped the world as much as the first

>says in English

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig

This kind of excersises are really interesting, specially as a romance language speaker

The language you act like you created because you have no achievements in life!

Like the identity you're larping has because you don't have any either?

1600 years undefeated

Kek yes because your last defeat was at the hands of an English king before you were nestled comfortably into the English derriere, what kind of logic is this

But you haven't wiped us out, you failure, our spirit will live on

Lets save this thread from /int/ pls

Why did Britons adopt English when everywhere else it was the invaders who adopted the local language?

Just got home from my £24k pa job as a consultant at a semi decent recruitment firm in the city. Pulled up to my newly rented 3 bedroom Barrett house in my Volkswagen golf gti. About to put my feet up and watch Netflix with the girlfriend on my wall mounted plasma Tele whilst eating a ready meal from Waitrose, after that i might do a cheeky watch of the game whilst she's away running a bath.

I wonder if arsenal will infact beat man u. I did after all put a cheeky lay bet on at work with the lads. Speaking of the lads, i wonder if we'll go for drinks down at vodka revs this week? Last time it was banterous with old Pete from sales slapping that waitresses and getting kicked out of the club, haha, we ended up in the kebaby chatting shit about the tory government, haha.

I'll just check my bank account on my iWatch to see if i can finance this weeks shenanigans, ah! of course, i'm overdrawn, best ask the gf again see if she can transfer at least £800 from her previous pay packet from her beauty therapy self start up. I'll make for it by doing a facebook post with a pic of me and her saying how much i am grateful. If not i could always put a claim in to the ole bank of mum and dad, haha.

I was just teasing you lad let's freeeeeeeeeeeeedum the sassenach together

But it's actually true and I don't have a drop of English blood in me so I can't be biased.

Anglo-Saxon England had social mobility that Norman/Plantagenet England didn't have. Sure there was slavery, but that was on its way to fading out. The Church strongly urged for it to be stamped out. Even William the Bastard profited off of slave trafficking AFTER England was brutally subdued in the Harrying of the North in 1071.

A common-born man who went on three overseas voyages as a merchant could receive the rank of thegn according to the law of Alfred the Great. Meanwhile, there was practically no knight or lord of Anglo-Saxon descent by the Bastard's death. The entire ruling class and the Church officials were of Norman ancestry. Anglo-Saxons weren't allowed to marry with the Norman ruling class and they certainly didn't have any political power. This is why any movie that claims to have an "English" knight really means some French-speaking emigrant who set up shop in England.

1066 to 1485 was the worst period of English history because they were nothing more than a cash cow and recruiting ground for Norman and later Plantagenet warlords in expansion in Gaul, Ireland, and elsewhere. Say what you want about the Tudors, but at least they finally overthrew the Angevin dynasty.

>no king for 400 years identified as English
>I have no blood so I won't be biased
>Angevin kings in 1400's
Gee golly massa how can I be smart like you
What did the rank of thegn actually hold

Sure thing

What you should have mentioned that much of the good bits of Magna Carta and later the Bill of Rights (both of them) were drawn by Saxon law.

Except
>Everything west of the Rhine (Adopted Latin)
>Iberia (Adopted Latin)
>The Balkans (Adopted Latin then various Slavic dialects)
>Anatolia (Adopted Greek then Turkish)
>All of north Africa (Adopted Arabic)

Thegn was the lowest (and most prolific) in the Anglo-Saxon noble pyramid. You were basically an aristocratic landowner who had a minimum of 5 hides (600 acres) of land. A ceorl (free man who weren't major landowners) who was able to acquire at least 600 acres could obtain the status of a thegn. Thegns were required to join the war-band with a spear, sword, shield and helmet when summoned. Senior thegns played an important role in the hundred courts while the rest were involved in local administration on behalf of their earl or the king.

Except it only favored the aristocracy. It was a step in the right direction, but the English were cursed with their Plantagenet

The English had several opportunities after the death of Guillaume le Bâtard to overthrow their Norman overlords. Especially in the Anarchy, but instead they submitted to Henry II, thus starting the Plantagenet line of kings.

John Lackland gets a lot of shit in English history, but at least he was the first post-1066 king to actually focus more on England (because he lost most of his continental holdings). In fact, if Aquitaine and Gascony had been lost as well in 1204 (when Normandy fell to Philip II), at least the ties to France would've been finally severed. Instead, thanks to the Gascon link, later Plantagenets would embark on fruitless short-term gains in France which wasted English blood and treasure.

Language isn't just lexical marra