Was Ancient Sparta the first ""Fascist"" state in the world?

was Ancient Sparta the first ""Fascist"" state in the world?

No. You fucking idiot. And there's no way in hell ancient Sparta looked like that, Spartans left next to no actual impressive buildings. Unlike Athens or Syracuse.

Or Corinth

no

well that about covers it I'd say, /thread

Why not?
Care to explain?

Yes. And it looked even better than your picture. Not surprising that it was better than Athens or Syracuse.

t. Kypselos

I'm fucking tired of STUPID FUCKING ATHENIANS coming and SHITTING ON EVERY SPARTA THREAD
Seriously YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT
FUCK OFF

Spartans were the niggers of ancient Greece
ME FIGHT GOOD OOGA BOOGA

niggers dont respect women at all though, spartan women enjoyed way more freedom than their counterparts pretty much anywhere else

Pretty much, yeah, you could call it a proto-fascist state.

>anti-democratic
>authoritarian
>some totalitaristic traits
>militant and violent
>eugenics and racial purity
>submitting other ethnic groups
>no trade with neighbors
>didn't allow foreign cultural influence

Who cares about women

Isn't fascism where corporatism and state meet?
Athens seems more Fascist in that way, while Sparta sounds more Commie-tier.

Yes because commies care about culture and race purity

Rosseau loved it

You have a perma inner party nomenclature instead. In a population of millions, it kinda is like racial purity.
Anyway cant really make direct comparisons between ancient Greece and 20th century Europe.

Don't retroactively apply ideology, this is bad history 101

What kind of retarded argument is that?
>sure they were good for nothing savages but they were pussywhipped!
I bet you're an american or something because only anglos view the world through cuckold tinted glasses

and the soviets loved sparta, hence the warsaw pact games were called spartan games and the Spartak football team

I think that some things took their name not from Sparta, but from Spartacus.

Hitler liked sparta too

It was basically the original Totalitarian state.

There was no such thing as fascism so no.

Btw,
>Mfw my grandma was from Sparta

Sparta didn't exist either, it's a fairytale like the 300.

Ancient Greece didn't exist at all, it's a fairytale thought up during the Renaissance.

No. Nationalism is inevitably linked to fascism. Spartans didn't have the concept of 'nation' regarding their laws and legal system. Spartiates, Spartan inferiors, periokoi, helots, and Sciritae were all different classes that rarely had any unity outside of forceful pressure. You could be descended from a noble Spartiate family but still not be a Spartiate if you were a poorfag who couldn't afford his mess dues or go on a military campaign whenever you were needed, but reduced to lower status. Look up the Conspiracy of Cinadon as proof. It was essentially a glorified oligarchy that they were very successful convincing their neighboring city-states that it wasn't.

The image of Sparta in classical sources and our modern perspectives of it are just propaganda crafted by themselves. "Lycurgus" and "his laws" probably never existed. Literary sources mention that Spartans just invoked "Lycurgus" whenever they crafted a new law and amend it to be from him as a tradition of theirs. There's no way to tell then what laws he created, which is important to know, as he's fundamental (if he was really historical) to the Spartans following a strict and standardized regime. But that likely wasn't the case, and the Spartans just adopted a peculiar way of life that they changed and adapted over the years like everyone else but just happened to look peculiar to their neighbors with their customs and social isolationism. Xenophon is probably the most credible contemporary source to life in Sparta--as he himself had served and gave advice to Spartans for decades, and lived there on a estate gifted to him by them, and even got to know one of their kings personally; and he writes that the perceived image of them to outsiders doesn't hold true to reality in his time, and says that they don't actually observe all the "laws of lycurgus" as they might proclaim--and likely never did.

The only true fascist state was Italy

THAT PIC IS ATHENS REEEEEEE

They all look the same

No, go read History of the Peloponnesian War

They had an extremely backwards culture and lived in shitty mudhut-esque buildings.

Mighty indeed are the marks and monuments of our empire which we have left. Future ages will wonder at us, as the present age wonders at us now.- Pericles of Athens.

Buildings like the parthenon still stand to day, NOTHING remains of sparta

>only anglos view the world through cuckold tinted glasses
my fucking sides

This.

>Suppose the city of Sparta to be deserted, and nothing left but the temples and the ground-plan, distant ages would be very unwilling to believe that the power of the Lacedaemonians was at all equal to their fame. Their city is not built continuously, and has no splendid temples or other edifices; it rather resembles a group of villages, like the ancient towns of Hellas, and would therefore make a poor show. - Thucydides

Pretty much. Alexander never bothered conquering it and in Roman times it was a tourist trap

Sparta is the best,