45 year old coworker with 3 children happily announces he leased a new 2017 hyundai

>45 year old coworker with 3 children happily announces he leased a new 2017 hyundai
>Everyone is happy for him
>Im laughing at his stupid decision

Who is in the wrong and who is in the right financialy?

Grow up.

Is leasing cars a burger thing? I know literally nobody who does it it seems so fucking dumb

>happy father of 3 kids
>have good family
>stable job
>new car
vs
>forever alone user
Hmmmm, let me think.

Who cares, op. This shit is seriously still lingering in your head?

Yea cause they are talking about it near me

He probably only leased so he can keep up with the Joneses and swap for a 2020 Hyundai a few years down the line, so he's obviously wrong. But what do you care?

A car is just a consumable tool.

So, if you prefer to own this tool that depreciates in value as you use it, buy it

But if you prefer to always have a working tool, with the newest features, full warranty and usually free maint. leasing for a few years and then getting a new one makes sense to some.

If you have decent credit the current rates are nearly nil, in either situation. With a lease you put down less, and are restricted by mileage that you can adjust at the time of purchase.

Where a lease can bite you in the ass is if the buyout price adjusts, or is fixed in the contract. If there is some terrible flaw that makes the market value tank of the car in the used market, your lease return can get expensive.

I sold Toyota for years. Toyota has a fixed buyout price, and is guaranteed in the in lease contract. As long as you dont go over your mileage leases are cool.

I lease a prius, and in a year, I get to pick something new and put 1/3 down for the same payment. To me thats worth more than owning a 10 year old car someday

Correct.

My girlfriend works with some normie who, together with her partner, had put themselves on a tight budget to pay off the ~20,000 of credit card debt they'd accumulated.
A week after she announced they'd paid it off she went and bought a $17,000 car.
There was nothing wrong with her 10 year old car.

And I can buy a 10 year old car that will last me for 10 years for less than the cost of one year's payments on a lease.

Enjoy being poor, at least you'll have a shiny car right?

I never understood the credit card logic.
If someone really needs money quickly why not just get an overdraft from the bank.
Why would i wanna pay a 37% yearly interest rate.Only time when you don't loose money with credit cards is if you pay it back at the end of the month when the paycheck arives.

imagine being 45 and thinking a hyuandia was anouncement worthy. yeesh

Yeah if you are leasing a BMW. My prius lease is 300 p/m. with 2k down. If anyone is going to the poor house over a 300 dollar car payment then get a new job.

>not buying a riced out japanese rwd shitbox
>2017
he aint gonna make it pham

What Jew bank are you with?

I pay 8% p.a on my credit card.

An overdraft is 20% p.a

You just can't stand it when someone is happy around you, can you?

How sad.

Shit OP give the poor guy a fucking break and act happy for him

Sometimes leases are actually better than buying.

Back when you could get big rebates and tax write offs for green cars, it was actually cheaper to lease a Prius then to put gas in your current car. There were a lot of guys at my job that commuted from the suburbs that leased a Prius for work and kept their BMW/Audi/Infiniti for driving around at home.

>friends wasting money on eating steak dinner
>im laughing while eating rice pudding
Who was right financially?

Financially whoever makes the most money is right.
However, he might enjoy his day to day job and financial stability.
Leasing a car isnt a bad decision depending on the price you get on it.
If he is paying half as much as a 5 year car payment for 2 years then he makes out in the end.

Good reasons to lease
>If you don't want to own it
>If you want reliability
>Warranty on pretty much everything except standard ware
>If you don't drive like an asshole
>If you don't drive too far on the regular
>If you see vehicles as a tool, not a toy
>you don't lose money on devaluation of the vehicle

Things to note:
>If you break it (ie total it) you've pretty much bought it
>Perpetual car payment and you'll never have anything to show for it except the dealers car
>Can't customize anything on it. If you don't the windows you just bought the
>Driving conditions attached to the lease
>Interest rates aren't all that much lower than financing the thing with the same perks

I fucking hate cars now because they are money pits. No matter how you slice it. You're either paying for the financing monthly or the influx of repairs as the vehicle ages

>I own a 96 Acura heh

idk, did you short altcoins?

>tfw eurofag in my 30s
>tfw never owned a car and probably never will

is this a burger thing?
I just ride a bicycle or use public transportation when I need to go somewhere

>someone is doing something near me

Normie detected

Jackpot trips confirm op is a neckbeard autist

same here. could easily afford one but fuck that. money spent on a car is money i can't spend on making more money.

Leasing new vehicles every 2-3 years is actually not that bad finacially. It means your costs are fixed every month and you get to always have a new vehicle. Sure it is more expensive than buying a 10 yo car and driving it till it dies, but if you have the income leasing is great.

Leasing is great, especially for newer electric or hybrid vehicles where the tech is changing fast. It means you get the newest and arn't stuck with a hard to get rid of older one.

I financed a Kia. It was cheap. And guess what? For 5 years now it hadn't given me a single issue. I pay about 175 a month for it.

If I had leased it I would happily give it back now and walk away. Who the Fuck cares op? At least he didn't buy something retarded like a BMW or Merc. Just wanted a car to do car things with...

The Lease vs Buy argument is one of lifestlye

If you need a new car every 3 years and dont drive a lot of miles, a lease is good for you

If you want to keep it for 10 years, or put a lot of miles on each year, then buying is better for you

OP is just trying to feel mentally superior to his co-workers

Personally, I purchase a car new and keep it for 10 years. I like being the only one to have owned the car, and dont finance the car, so spending my savings isnt something I enjoy

Why would you pay cash for a car though? You should be able to use that cash and earn more than the interest on a car loan.

That was my thinking. My car is 0% financing. I guess if there was an incentive to pay cash then I would. But in my case there wasn't.

Even at 3% interest or something. New car loans are cheap. But yea. You're dumb if you buy a Cadillac and work at McDonalds for example.

> he gets it

You lease a car, you're still paying that insurance. You buy a car flat out, you're still paying for those repairs.

The Jews win this round.

>2017
>losing money on cars
Buy a used car under market value, drive it for a year, and resell for market value.

LOL. What a fag.

Heh. I'm still driving an old beater I got for free in 2006.

>coworker
>worker
>working

Relatively, you're both shit tier financially if you're still working for other people. You especially if you're so poor that you even care whether you lease or buy a car. What a small expense either way.

>they drive the petrol jew

living in a city, in the right neighborhood, where I can bike to work, is the true Veeky Forumsraeli way

>so dumb
You can pay extremely low interest because it's a collateral loan. If you're certain you can make that much money back in the same amount of time by holding on to that capital (most people can because interest is so low), then it makes a lot of sense to do that.

Depends where you live in the US. Our public transportation is generally shit so you need a car in most places. I'm in a city where I can get by with just a bike. I use Zipcar to run errands once a month or so.

Depending on what state you live in, the transactional taxes paid would kill the idea of buying and selling yearly

>2012 malibu
>walk to/from work
>less than 30k miles on it
>biggest mileage gains come from visiting parents/friends back home
>getting a motorcycle for fun/small trips next year

My car will hopefully last me forever. I hate the idea of being in debt, so I really would like to save up for every subsequent vehicle I own. A mortgage is pretty much the only thing I ever would want to pay interest on.

>coworker
Do you even read?

Most efficient way is to buy a car and then drive it until it becomes too old or you need a new kind of vehicle. Cars are indeed depreciatable assets but theres nothing you can do about it.

DELET

How does OP having a coworker make him less forever alone, retard?

In big european cities you can easily do without a car, personnally I live in the countryside so a car was pretty much needed at 18.

>financing a car

why being a dick, though. if he's happy, why the fuck do you care

thanks to crypto actually (DGB) i was able to pay off a total of about $30K of credit card debt and a car loan. yes paying off my 2014 Camry is the shit!!! Thanks DGB no more payments!! and still in crypto...

>Leasing
>Brand new

Image is everything when you're poor.

I know a couple who did it, and they're fucking dumb, so I won't ever do it, based solely on the fact that they did it.

They met on a dating website in highschool and got engaged a month after. Married right before college, lived together in a dorm. Then got a house together, and leased cars. Divorced right after college because the woman "wanted to have an open relationship" but the man didn't.

Fuck them and fuck leasing cars lol

get off Veeky Forums at work and do some actual work you fucking idiot

If you want to keep a car for more than 10 years, then you buy. However it must be a toyota or honda.

If you want to drive germans or have new car every 3 years before warranty expires and you get raped by maintenance and parts replacements, then lease.

I paid off my 60 months loan on my used Audi and 20 months into the loan when the certified warranty expires I start to have issues with th car. At the end, I sold the car for junk and still owed CapitalOne $6000.

Never again.

>pay it back at the end of the month when the paycheck arives.
Are you seriously exceeding your total savings with credit card expenditures? Your pay schedule shouldn't even register when paying your credit card bill.

But that's a shitty experience. I'm driving an old, high-mileage shitbox. Bought it for $800 and I've kept it running for 50k miles so far by putting a couple hundred dollars into it, but now that it's reaching the end of its effective lifespan it requires a lot of work and figuring out what's wrong with it and how to fix it can be a major headache.
It's more cost-effective but less opportunity-effective. With a 10 year old car you'll have to worry about maintenance and part failure, not an issue with a leased car.
Credit cards are the best. The banks wager that you'll be a dumb cuck and max out your limit and be stuck paying 15% APR, and offer xyz to tempt you into it. If you spend within your means, it's literally free money.

financially, he is wrong, only retarded americucks lease shit.
All in all you are a lonely retard that spends way too much time of his empty life checking other people. Learn to mind your own shit user, if the other guy is happy shotting himself in the face, just congratulate him and be done with it. If you want to think further, think on how he can actually be a happy dude and you are a bitter piece of shit .

Its a good deal if you have rewards cards for say GM or Ford for example. I lease a car for 3 years and repeat, for example a 2017 CRUZE only cost be 125/month. Plus, why would want some shitty car that'll lose its value in that same amount of time, and doesn't come with free services?

Hyundai = image

This graph really activates my meninges

>lease
>lease a car

Unless his old car broke down and literally isn't serviceable anymore then it's obviously a completely retarded decision from a financial standpoint

Cars are up there for the dumbest investments possible. Almost nothing loses value as fast as a car.

>20% inflation
>total payment for car goes up 20%
really made me think

*actual US compound inflation 2002-2015 was 30,7%

People realize this.

I used to buy used cars. But sometimes shit breaks. And you usually have to pay cash. If my car breaks down, I can't get to work that day. (rural fag here)

So I bought new. My car works each day. And I bought literally the cheapest piece of shit new car available on 0% financing.

I miss having nice cars. But I usually always bought something stupid like a Saab, or quirky German sports sedan or something turbocharged and really fast. And shit kept breaking.

So either finance a new reasonable car that suits your income. Or buy a used Toyota or something boring that will work each day

>Hyundai lease
>Cheap AF to buy, sturdy engine but burns oil no matter what you do.
>Decides to lease when maintaining these cars is so simple a baboon could do it.
Your coworker is a Cuck who gives no shit about money.

Seeing a car as an investment and not a tool. Literally the stupidest thing ever.

You guys must be driving some real shit mobiles if you have constant repairs.

>paying monthly for something you won't own
shiggy diggy to be honest