Memorised every single Napoleonic battle plan

>Memorised every single Napoleonic battle plan
>Walked and talked in Napoleon's manner
>When asked by a colleague "Are you playing Napoleon", replies "I'm going to be Napoleon!"

Why is he so underrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh
www2.iath.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Texts/Scholarly/Currey_Giap.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He was pretty good

Because he beat america and they produce most of the pop history we consume in the west

Although he was very highly respected by US commanders

He is overrated actually. The only thing he ever did was zergrushing his opponent and losing most of his battles.

It doesnt matter how many battles you lose if you win the war

He didn't really contribute to winning anything.

>Dien Bien Phu
Piss off.

>battle won outnumbering the opponent 5:1 thanks to cowardly Americans refusing to properly supply the fort
It's fucking nothing

>forgetting the airstrip and the guns in the hills

>Walked and talked in Napoleon's manner
And how is that exactly?

>You guys rush into the French Positions in large numbers while we move guns up the hills.
>MasterStrategist.jpg
Literally Peng Dehuai's playbook.

>Hey Nguyen, you play Zerg and I'll play Protoss.
>Okay... I zerg rush you.
>Wtf? Bullshit!

In French.

Have one hand in your pocket close to your testies, and the other raised into the sky

>They meme'd US never lost a battle in VN.

Biggest battle of Vietnam War is Battle of Khe Sanh. US withdrew, NVA took over the base. Have Fidel Castro flying to the base to plan a flag for celebration.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh

US & allies: ~45k
NVA: ~ 35k

Result:

US & allies: 2,800-3,500 KIA, 9,000 WIA, 7 MIA, 250+ captured

NVA: 1,436 WIA (before mid-March)
2,469 KIA

> Which one are the zerglings?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh
>Result Indecisive; both sides claimed victory
Wow man, it's fucking nothing. This was the best the NVA and the Viet Cong could do against the US military?

I see nothing in that wikipedia link that disproves the simple fact that domestic dissatisfaction with the Vietnam War is what led to the US withdrawing and the NVA winning.

Yeah right indecisive...

>Indecisive; both sides claimed victory:[5][6]

>The siege of Khe Sanh was broken by ground forces on 6 April.[7]
>Americans destroyed the base complex of Khe Sanh and withdrew from the battle area in July 1968.[8]
>North Vietnamese Army gained control of the Khe Sanh region after the American withdrawal.[8][dead link][9]
>Termination of McNamara Line.[10] North Vietnamese lines of communication were extended further into South Vietnam.[11]

>>Termination of McNamara Line.[10] North Vietnamese lines of communication were extended further into South Vietnam.[11]

That is how you lost a war.

>I don't know how to read.
Dumb USA poster.

>>While KSCB was abandoned, the Marines continued to patrol the Khe Sanh plateau, including reoccupying the area with ARVN forces from 5–19 October 1968 with minimal opposition.[20]:409–10 On 31 December 1968 the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion was landed west of Khe Sanh to commence Operation Dawson River West, on 2 January 1969 the 9th Marines and 2nd ARVN Regiment were also deployed on the plateau supported by the newly established Fire Support Bases Geiger and Smith; the 3 week operation found no significant PAVN forces or supplies in the Khe Sanh area.[82] From 12 June to 6 July 1969, Task Force Guadalcanal comprising 1/9 Marines, 1st Battalion 5th Infantry Regiment and 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 2nd ARVN Regiment occupied the Khe Sanh area in Operation Utah Mesa.[82]:71–2 The Marines occupied Hill 950 overlooking the Khe Sanh plateau from 1966 until September 1969 when control was handed to the Army who used the position as a SOG operations and support base until it was overrun by the PAVN in June 1971.[82]:152[83] The gradual withdrawal of U.S. forces began during 1969 and the adoption of Vietnamization meant that, by 1969, "although limited tactical offensives abounded, U.S. military participation in the war would soon be relegated to a defensive stance."[84]

Seems like it was pretty fucking indecisive if you ask me. Combine that with the overall tet offensive being a failure and I really don't see all that much to brag about here.

War is only a tool to reach a political objective. Winning battles is completely irrelevant. Only reaching the final objective matters.

Yes, Tet offensive was a failure. I've seen meme like the Vietcong were destroyed after Tet offensive.

They were not, in fact, everyone talked about Tet offensive but Vietcong launched another 2 offensives in the same year, where more US soldiers were dying than in Tet offensive.

> walked and talked like Napoleon

what did he mean by this?

He looked up to Sun Tzu more tho

arms behind back, slouched

spoke in non sequiturs and ridiculous quotes

Is Napoleon a poet? I know Vo Nguyen Giap was one.

An Officer and a Gentleman:

General Vo Nguyen Giap as
Military Man and Poet www2.iath.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Texts/Scholarly/Currey_Giap.html

>was Napoleon a poet?
no but he came up with a lot of nice quotes

wtf, he only died 3 years and 7 months ago

Yeah, more than 100 y old, must be terrible fate of a warrior. /s

Did none of the Vietnamese take issue with this guy idolizing a hero of the colonial overlords they'd only just pushed out?

Fun fact: french involved with Vietnam started by Napoleon.

No, we're teached not to hate our enemies but to admire them for their capabilities. Only hate other Vietnamese, because they're all fucking traitors. For have a temple here idiolize Chinese general for god sake.

just like the americans then.

>kicking Frenchies out using Frenchie battle plans

The irony

was it autism?

He wrote a romance novel.

it was about his self-insert being a cuck and then killing himself

Nah, his whole thing was bringing the ideals of the French revolution to Vietnam

Tet was a win-win for the NVA. Either the VC succeeds, the Americans suffer a huge setback, or, as happened, the VC loses, gets wiped out, and the major rival to the NVA in the south is destroyed. The massive loss of morale and discontmentment on the home front was a bonus.

Re the zerging thing, what else was he supposed to do? He was up against one of the great powers of the world, and then one of the two superpowers. North Vietnamese training and equipment was inferior, he had to live with that.

Guerilla fighters often have to accept a 10:1 ratio of casualties. It's the reality going up against a well armed, highly trained occupying army.