During WW2, how did Britain deal with sunburn among its fighting men in the African front?

During WW2, how did Britain deal with sunburn among its fighting men in the African front?

Many Brits have extremely fair skin, and sunburn can be quite debilitating.

The germans are pasty as shit though

and they were also wearing leather because
>lol german logistics

They got tans

>le leather trenchcoat gasmask Nazi meme
Oh fuck off.

>Since the heavy wool feldgrau uniform proved to be oppressively hot in summer weather, especially in southerly latitudes, soldiers took to wearing their lightweight green fatigue uniforms in the heat. In about 1942 the Army regularized the practice

Oh look soldiers having to work around lack of basic planning by German high command AGAIN

I'm sure Barbarossa won't last till winter, we won't need coats...

in old pictures they all look red as fuck

Keep your t shirt and hat on retard, look at the pic

>Since the heavy wool feldgrau uniform proved to be oppressively hot in summer weather...
So not leather in other words.
Fuck off.

I know it is fashionable to think of military commanders as bumbling fools, but seriously, how did they not realize that the African desert is HOT?

/thread

they tanned its not rocket science

are you saying the leather apparel wasnt an issue in the extreme north african heat?

if so, dont have any children and castarate yourself to prevent retard genes from spreading

Pale skinned freckled people do not tan, regardless of how much sun exposure they get.

t, pale skinned freckled person.

Um sweetie no. We white people don't really tan. We burn.

With an ice cold Carlsberg.

most british people aren't freckled ghosts
t.british tanner

YAAAAS SLAAY QUEEEEN!

Perhaps true, but a good percentage of Brits ARE freckled ghosts. More than any other ethnicity, except the Irish.

Shut up ahmed you're not british

I'm saying that you have yet to prove that Germans were going around dressed in leather uniforms in Africa.

I'm from Ulster, there are only around 1000 muslims in the entire province and I'm not one

I tan but if I am out for too long I burn.

Easily solved by wearing light breathable material and a hat with a wide brim.

1000 too many innit m8?

>Ulaidhs Tír
Hmm yes what a British sounding name up there with Nottinghamshire and Lincoln

>only around 1000 muslims
>only

Get out of Ulster

I'm not sure what your problem with Muslim Brits is but you can go fuck yourselves.

t. Mohammed, Leicester, born and bred British.

>Mohammed, Leicester, born and bred British
>born and bred
>British

What a positively, quintessentially British post!

>"aryan" "master" "race"

Why does every thread about Britain devolve into shitposting about pakistanis

I hate this website

Was there no sunscreen/sunblock/etc. in the 1940s?

I honestly wonder how these people survive in real life.

You'd think they'd have a seize at the merest sight of someone who's a quarter of a shade darker than themselves.

They got sunburned and wore long sleeved shirts after that

Stop being dumb.

Everytime I see an Irishman I tremble with rage and my palms begin to sweat. I saw a Spaniard the other day and almost died!

Because Britain doesn't exist any more and we need to be cognizant of this when discussing it.

I'll at least give you that the only rational response to the sight of an Irishman should be blind rage.

It's true that it is due to break up shortly due to Brexit, but it certainly exists at the moment.

No

Why does everyone call this guy as Islamist?

He's got a fatwa on his head for supporting gay marriage. Not exactly the behavior you'd expect from a radical. Is the hate mostly that he's just a Muslim?

>on Veeky Forums
> Is the hate mostly that he's just a Muslim?
What do you think, genius

Victory breeds success

jealousy*, not success. oops

I'm just incredibly spineless. Instead of outright stating my opinions I simply ask questions around my beliefs and let other people state my opinions for me. Thank you for that.

>really small foamy beer

good post OP
something that gets overlooked most of the time.

Yes. It started to be sold commercially a little bit before that but supplying a whole army with sunscreen sounds like a nightmare.

>implying
Go spend a couple of weeks in the Mediterranean during the summer, and after the bacon-skin, flaky phase, you'll become beige.

They've just crossed thousands of miles of desert and it's an alcoholic's first drink since Tobruk. It's his driving motivation.

Surely no more difficult than supplying them all with guns, uniforms and food?

Wasn't bulk of british troops in north africa, australians and kiwis, who were tanned to begin with, anyway?

I've spent a year in Andalusia, i didn't get tanned even if i spent most of my days topless outside.

You're Irish

No I'm not, and neither are you Mr Bostonian.
Unless of course English and Scottish ancestry for the past 200 years makes me Irish, then sure.

I think Australian or South Africans had holes in the back of their helmets that they used ti hold cloth to stop sunburn on the back of their necks.

>and they were also wearing leather because
>lol german logistics
What are you talking about? They weren't wearing leather. They wore wool or fatigues

>born and bred British
Jesus Christ, the Mohammed is the one made me die

All Brits were black back then.

t. Dayquan Le Afrocentrist

"Southern latitudes" yea, but not in Africa. They had pith helmets and tropical gear from the start there.

Say goodbye to your forearms, Nigel

Just bad shitposting, best to ignore it.

Please be bait

My great grandfather fought in Burma and got skincancer in his arms in his 60s

Cannot confirm. Am white person, normally tan in a few days of sun. Have not sunburned once in my life outside of a small bit on my nose when I was younger.

Sadiq Khan doesn't hold many of the social values of brown labour, and is pro-night economy which is important with neo-temperance holding such sway currently.

>I'm British because I was born in britain

>who do native populations hate being replaced

Hi Ezra

Those are all necessities. And sunscreen would be used daily while things like weapon and ammo are only sent when needed.