Parents are asking me to pay her $500/mth for living with them

>parents are asking me to pay her $500/mth for living with them
>I'm only 21 years old

Do you think this is fair?

Depends on cost of living in your area.

Rent is definitely more than $500 anywhere near me.

they're trying to get your worthless ass to realize you should be paying $500/month to live on your own.

in other words, gtfo already

>"mommy, all the people on my Japanese cartoon message board think it's not fair for you to charge me."

this isn't the fucking 80's and 90's where there were jobs lined up right after college. Shit's fuckin hard these days. sorry your family doesn't want to help you get on your feet. Good luck user

they should kick your beta ass out of the house fucking manchild

500 is fucking nothing and its better than paying rent in some cuck environment. Im sorry your parents are white trash that make you pay monies to live with them. Im 24 and live with my parents but i also work as an EE with a 90k salary and will be living with my parents until im 26 and have save up enough money. Im a spic tho and we are more family driven then some of you whities, in fact my parents don't even want me to move out

What the fuck is wrong with the evil normies of this board?

I had the same shit user

> start learning whatever IT shit you like, coding, etc. start passing some certs and putting them on your resume.

niga you getting a job soon !

It's fair then. Work hard, be glad they aren't charging you for utilities, and stop being a whiny bitch.

Parents who charge their own childrens to pay rent are worthless sub humans. They placed you here and now they want money from you. Fucking trash.

I'm 21 and pay $1750 in rent while living with my unemployed wife, pay for food and everything every month, and my parents live on the other side of the country.

Cry me a fucking river.

>$1750 in rent
this has to be a joke

do they make all your meals too?

and do your laundry?

do you do anything to help out? i.e. dishes, clean the bathroom, etc?

or do you just take and take and take without any give?

Same

Move out. As long as you don't move to a fucking major city you can make due.

that's low for city life.

probably pays the equivalent of a closet too

Yes I do all that bollocks

That is definitely not low for city life. I was looking at nice apartment in St. Louis for only $1,100 a month, and that was going to be split with the other person I was going to live with.

what's your favorite dipping sauce for your tendies while watching anime at 4 am?

Fan of Franks red hot. I use it on everything I eat pretty much.

Mix franks and some ranch together.

i know people that rent the equivalent of a dorm room in NYC for $3k+. depends on the city.

I'll try it

Good on you mate. White people sold their souls and the future of their children for short term gains. I unironically think that hispanics who don't fall for the multiculturalism meme and remember their family values will save western civilization.

or bleu cheese

>city life
>mentions St. Louis

he means a REAL city, like a city on the coast where people actually *want* to live

This.

indeed

demanding money from your own child is such a lower class move. pedagogical bullshit with a dash of greed.

Ango-Latin new Roman Empire WHEN

Yes but what can I do about it realistically

Start an incestuous relationship with your mother, she is going to talk your dad out of this idea and start to go easy on you.

She is the one who proposed the idea

It's not a fucking joke, at all.

I pay $1750 and I have a suburban condo. It's pretty big though. That's the going price around here.

I make $6,000 after tax per month though so $1750 plus all the rest isn't too much.

Well, then you won't even have to wait for her to talk your dad out of this idea.

I know another ee who did this. Fucking engineering. And yeah at 26 you can pay off all debt with ee and move out. It's smart but gay

The fact that your parents charge rent at 21 probably indicates that they believe you will live there for a couple of years more unless you move your ass right now. Do you have a job OP? Still studying or living the NEET life?

THIS

only correct answer

>slight depression since i was a little kid
>dropped out of highschool after developing severe depression at 17
>too depressed to work
>too much social anxiety to work
>just turned 18
>parents want to charge me $300/mo in rent now

Give me a fucking break.
I'm trying not to kill myself over living in this shitty fucking world and now they want me to pay for it too.

>marrying on your early 20s

do people over IQ45 really do this?

Seems reasonable "Do you think this is fair?" is a dumb question though. The important question is what are your other options? There are no fair or unfair things, only things which are allowed to happen and things which are not. So will you allow this to happen because it provides you an advantage? Or will you find a more advantageous situation?

How much are you putting into your 401k?

Your parents are shit. They should be helping you establish yourself, not set you up for a life of working in McDonald's because you have to meet some b.s. standard of responsibility.

cmon be reasonable user they just want you to stop being such a worthless entitled piece of shit and get over yourself or finish the fucking job already

Only up to the minimum that allows for full matching, so I put in 6% of my salary and the company matches half of that. "Risk-free" 50% return or whatever, but in a 401k.

>get over yourself
I literally have no drive to do anything anymore.
It's not like i watch anime or play vidya all day. I basically just sit in my chair and wait for ww3 or something to break out all day so i can finally die.
My parents know this, and yet they want to charge me rent.

You take home 6k. Just max contribute (what is that for you, like 12%?). The tax deferment on 401k contributions makes it a better investment than paying loans early.

Plus 401k lowers AGI, which is what IBR is calculated against.

You should've been out 3 years ago, retard. Clearly you're no longer wanted, you aren't a cute kid anymore.

I don't have any loans.

I just thought I could get a much, much higher return outside my 401k. So far I think I have. Trading I mean.

Your parents are scum.

This is coming from someone who has lived on his own since 18, too.

Can't you direct your 401k investment where you want? The tax benefit is worth maxing out.

burn down your house and go live in the woods

Yes but
>the tax benefit is worth maxing out
You still pay taxes on 401k when you cash out, just now immediately..

At the moment I'm getting much, much more than 20% per year though by trading, so I don't exactly regret it yet. And I don't mean with crypto. Cause I know that won't last forever.

If you are NEET it's fair, if not it's definitely not.

>Mom never teached me anything of value nor educated me because "all you need is love".
>Suddenly expects a mature and successful son that could support her economically.

If you're a girl, she's not wrong.

Yeah, tech industry is good right now compared to rest of market, but over time that will probsbly smooth out. Either way, it sounds like you know what you're doing though. Good to see someone who actually understands money on the board.

Start an incestuous relationship with your father, he is going to talk your mom out of this idea and start to go easy on you.

How much do you contribute to your family?
Income?
How much food do you bring to the table?
Do you help out with more than a child with downs could easily do?

You're me. Wtf. It's absurd they want to make you pay for a life you don't want to live in the first place. In my case if it wasn't for my parents I'd off myself.

If you are over 18 your parents should give you maybe a year or two and then toss you on your ass.
It's pathetic to be complaining that your parents want you to hold your own fucking weight. Especially when without a doubt you eat their food, use their water, and waste their electricity by complaining online about how hard your little pussy bitch life is.

You are a pure degenerate. But thanks for making the job market easier.

yes its fair. you're an adult. your parents SHOULD actually just kick you out if they really loved you.

This. God, reading these replies makes me sad for America's future. Everybody is such a snowflake.

this is the excuse of someone with no self interests. you should just get a job cleaning toilets and it won't make a difference to you.

>parents teach you nothing of managing money
>parents teach you nothing of credit scores or how debt affects you later in life
>parents teach you nothing of the importance of finance in one's life
>offer no assistance in setting up bank accounts or how to choose credit cards
>express no opinion on career choices

What else could they expect other than a jobless fiscally irresponsible retard?

>only 21
You realize the normal age to move out is 19 right, be thankful she's not asking for back rent

all of those things take a week to learn. to recognize what you don't know is to take responsibility already.

i didn't even know what debt was when i moved out. you're not special.

>get on your feet by taking away all possible pressures that would therwise push you to stop being a filthy NEET

Don't have kids

go take a nap, grandpa

>it's not fair to charge someone with a job and positive net income money
>but it's okay to charge your child with little savings and no employment rent because lol fuck NEETs amirite
I will never understand this vicious mentaliy. Holy shit, normies are fucking evil.

Seriously, why do white Americans think iit's fine to charge their kids rent? Who's behind this?

>Go homeless
>Overdose on fentanyl
See if they still feel that entitled

Good to see NEETs getting some tough love ITT.

Stop making excuses for yourself to be so pathetic and helpless. Whereis your self respect? You are a grown ass man, do you really want your mom and dad to take care of you until age 30? 40? Sort your life out and take responsibility for yourself.

white Americans are the reason there are useless kids in the first place. most of the civilized world makes their kids do a shitload of chores/errands while studying or training into their late 20's. in proper countries you get married around 22-28 and move out.

it's evil to spoil them. it's even more evil to allow them to exist as NEETs. easy come, easy go should be your mentality. the parents should admit their mistakes and get rid of you.

Kill yourself.

>hehe yes, you need to move out when you're 18, or else you're not a real man!
>only a loser would live at home with their flesh-and-blood family and not pay rent to a landlord!
I wonder who's behind this sentiment

You realize the first modern humans were raised by a generation of apes, yeah? Useless little faggots clogging up Veeky Forums with whining.

Have you ever wondered why everything is always somebody else's fault?

I'll give you a hint why... It's fucking not.
Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

>the parents should admit their mistakes and get rid of you.
I live on my own and have since I was 18. But of course, I have a family that actually looks out for me and supports me and I would gladly do the same for them.

I'm sorry that your parents hated you that much, user.

my parents didn't make those mistakes. i was working at 16 and it was fun. i moved out for university later. they still support me and might bail me out if i fuck up on risky actions, but i'm a functioning adult. you're confusing the support of family with the care of a mentally retarded patient by a hospital.

You shouldn't have kids if you're not willing to provide for them no matter what.

Only white trash and lower middle class strivers throw their children to the hyenas when they get too inconvenient.

I agree with you 100%.

My kids paid for my college education and I would pay for theirs if I had any.

However, I can see the reasoning with having your kids pay you a relatively insignificant amount if it's solely for the purpose of teaching them some financial responsibility.

Likewise, now that I'm working and paying my own bills and everything, I don't call up my parents asking for money everytime a bill every time I have to pay a car insurance bill even though I know it wouldn't even dent their finances. Because if I did, they'd go "what? You're an adult now with a good job. Pay your own bills." I think paying for rent in your parents' home is wrong too but in some situations I can see where it might be necessary as a lesson.

The major mistake here his you are comparing your accommodation of 'room in shared house' to an entire place to yourself.

I live in manhattan and I can find you a small room in a shared apartment that will only cost 500-800 a month as opposed to the absolute cheapest studio apartment that would be around 1500-2000/ month (non nig neighborhoods).

Go on spareroom.com or similar and look up the cost of a shared room in the area, also your parents should be helping you so you should expect at least 30-20% below market price

only white trash spoils their kids to the point that they don't want to work as adults so that's irrelevant.

and that's a stupid argument really. parents are still human, they can choose to provide or not as much as you can. you are expected to be responsible for your child, but after a certain age they are your equal. even if i took you seriously, you have no argument for a parent who just does the bare minimum to let a kid survive, a room and a little bit of food and nothing else.

I'd pay my parents $500 a month to live with them.

Mine both died in a car accident when I was 14.

They were coming to pick me up after I called them while they were having a meal out in town.

I blamed myself for years and would love to pay $500 to live with them.

I talk myself out of meeting them every single day.

You all are assuming that OP's parents will actually follow through with this whole "pay us rent!" deal. 9 times out of 10 parents either forget about the deal, or they "extend" how long they'll give you to pay rent until eventually they just give up.

The whole point of the exercise is to encourage OP into getting off his ass and getting his own place, thereby finally living in the real world. The fact that so many of you NEETs are taking his side and saying that it's wrong for parents to try and push their child into being an adult is sad.

Jesus christ man. I'm sad to hear this.

It's cool, it just bites me when people talk shit about their parents.

>white trash
>spoiling kids
Hahaha no, what planet do you live on?

Do you think wealthy and the upper crust kick their flesh and blood out at 18?

Even upper middle class families will send their lazy NEET kid to therapy instead of fucking over their prospects for life by kicking them out.

Dude just get a job and stop arguing with randos on the internet you neet.

your parents are actually doing the right thing. It's tough, and it may feel unfair. But they're teaching you the importance of money

You're right about it not being the 80's or 90's anymore. But I'm not sure if OP actually has a full time job that allows for that or not.

this happened to me from the ages of 19-21, except it was $600 per month and I could not legally move out because I was under house arrest, I even had my own house but was required to live with my parents.

agreed, they basically used you as a cash crop at that point. dont have children if you cant afford them.

This.

My parents demanded rent from me at a time which forced me into going into low-wagecuckery. If they'd been supporting and encouraged me, I may have ended up becoming wealthier at an earlier stage of life and better able to help them. Instead I won't help them one bit. So ultimately the only outcome was losing years of my life to making other people rich, mostly greedy people who were already wealthy, while my parents will ultimately get little to nothing from me.

It's one thing asking a 30+ year old son to get his life together if he's sitting at home playing games all day, it's another to extort rent from an 18 year old. That said, I have sympathy even for 30+ year olds in that situation over the parents.

Parents are supposed to give to their children, not the other way around.

Underrated kekster here

No you can literally get an apartment for that and live by yourself.

As soon as i get a wagecuck job that's what im going to do. If im going to be a friendless loser i had rather do it on my own terms.

I was going to give you shit because I'm 21 and pay £620 a month for a spare room in one of the poorest areas of London, but my mother did say to me if I moved back in she would only charge me £100 a month.

But then I come from bumfuck nowhere so I see little point in going back.

Get a job somewhere else and live there. Life sucks but desu you are not entitled to anything.