Veeky Forums, what do you think of the game Europa Universalis?

Veeky Forums, what do you think of the game Europa Universalis?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_States
youtube.com/watch?v=E3cFiWtcT4k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck I thought I was browsing r/eu4 for a sec

no liquor

it's shit

M&T 2.0 is gonna be good. (Or not)

eu4 is too easy, they removed lots of autism and everything is just done with mana points now
also the fucking forts have been broken for a year but instead fixing them they just make more useless dlcs nobody wants

I've been playing EU for 15 years, but I prefer CK2+HIP, I like the period and the mechanics more.

> they removed lots of autism

Maybe my memory is failing me, but it seems to me that EU4 is more complex than the preceding EUs?

it is

good game
historically very inaccurate

not really, they just made it more abstract and simple

eu4 culture change
>spend 100 bird mana and wait a year

eu3 culture change
>implement forced resettlement policy
>get events and population growth
>wait 50 years

now you can't even see populations

>culture changing
There's your problem

Population numbers were retarded anyway.

just an example of the lack of autism in my autism simulator senpai

Any historical simulation strategy game that allows you to conquer the entire world is doing something wrong.

Masters of the World: Geopolitical simulator

Victoria 2 is better

I prefer EU3, then. What about the other games like CK, Vic and HoI? Is it the newer the better for them?

EU3 isn't better and to be honest it is the unrealistic mess even compared to EU4.

CK2 >>> CK and Vic2 >>> Vic without questions. HoI4 and HoI3 are quite different, but I like HoI4 better.

It's obvious whoever took the picture in OP used commands, there's not enough time per game to conquer all of that.

People've managed to do the Three Mountains achievement even with the latest patches. By using some cheesy stuff and bugs, ofc, but without any cheats.

eu4 is still better despite its flaws

risk with strategy replaced by blobbing and meme history

A far inferior game to pretty much every preceding Paradox title, in particular hearts of iron 2 and 3.
I can barely maintain interest in the game for more than an hour, all the mechanics are banalized to such an extent that there is little difficulty or enjoyment to be found.

I got the game when I heard that you can play Skenderberg in it. Skenderberg really needs more attention. Why don`t you learn more about Skenderberg Veeky Forums?

How do I play as Byzantium without getting fucked by the eternal kebab

Can you recommend some non-banal games?

>learn more about Skenderbeg
>doesn't even know how to spell any variant of it

just improve relations and ally poland or hungary lmao

It's bland, shallow and easy. It's blatant how they pandered to the le minmaxer memers by creating a "grand" "strategy" "game" devoid of any actual history simulation and instead gping forth and gamifying every single mechanic they could.

They made it "wider" instead of "deeper" if that makes sense.

>tfw I got my Civilization-playing cousin to try out EU4 and he quit after two days because it was too hard

Colonizing is the only fun part of this game. I always pick Exploration+Expansion ideas and go to Americas as soon as possible

All I want out of gaming is CK2 with total war battles. Is that too much to ask? Also to have the units move in real time across the map rather than moving wonkily from territory to territory.

I could never conquer Africa in ck2 because the carrying capacity was just too low, if broken up units would be destroyed by the local armies one by one. I did islamize Britain though

If you're asking seriously:
Ally Poland or Hungary. Both if at all possible. In fact ally with literally everyone you can if it doesn't fuck up your chance at an alliance with one of the major players. If you get the chance (and the casus belli) to declare war on one of the minor Turkish countries in Anatolia before the eternal T*rk declares war on you, DO IT. I managed to vassalise Karaman off the bat and it took a huge chunk out of the Ottoman strength. Don't be afraid to declare on the Ottomans (provided you can call in major players), at the start their allies will be rather weak if they have any at all. Even with a combined Poland-Hungary-Serbia alliance backing me up, the first war was very difficult, so be prepared to micromanage a lot an curse the AI's stupidity even more. Early ottoman troops are hellishly overpowered. But once you reclaim your Greek cores the rest of the game is pretty much easymode, so long as you focus on destroying the Ottomans and retaking Anatolia. Took me about ten attempts to get past the first decade and the first time I succeeded I managed to fully restore the Roman Empire to its exact borders.

Why does Russia look extra big in that map?

See you learned something and corrected my mistake, now go and learn more about Skenderbeg.

this, it is the only paradox game i have enjoyed, together with hoi4

I love vic 2 but it's really feeling its age at this point. I also get fucking tired of micromanaging influence to the point where I don't even enjoy playing it anymore.

I don't understand the enjoyment people find on Paradox games. I've played both CK2 and EU4 for like an hour each and I just get overwhelmed and bored out of my mind.

You can ally Albania and have their Skanderberg-led army attach to yours, and then you just dick around with the Ottomans in the northern greek mountains taking favorable engagements until their manpower is gone.

t. Reed

why are only australia and brazil labeled as "papal X"? Why is there no "papal africa" or "papal china"?

Victoria 2 is generally loved on /gsg/, interesting time period and mechanics but not my personal favourite.

Darkest Hour is the most fun and allows the most freedom, it has tons of varied and really great mods too, pic related.

If it's touching your homeland it's considered part of your main territory and doesn't get a special name.

The mods range from total conversions like Kaiserreich (the holy grail of mods) and the Fallout mod, to WW1 mods, Cold War mods, WW2 mods that add hundreds of events and extra diffiulty for german campaigns etc.

Then there's the least banal game paradox has ever made. Hearts of Iron 3 is a bit more railroady than hoi2, not so much freedom or diplomacy but the actual warfare and planning of world war 2, supply system, naval battles, military leaders, Order of Battle and unit building is 10/10.

There are two major mods, HPP which is vanilla+ with new events, better diplomacy and general upgrades, pic related.

And BlackICE which goes full autism, completely reworked combat and unit building with historical orders of battle for various nations, you can recreate the wehrmacht quite accurately with individual officers and divisions. Pretty much a nazi roleplay mod with thousand of events and tons of historical divisions, it is very difficult though and ww2 usually drags out for many years and you need to know what you are doing to beat the soviets (unlike vanilla hoi3), pic related.

I'm interested in complexity.

The only that really sucks about Vicky II is that you can support rebels in other countries. I'd gladly take an infamy hit to finance rebels a la EUIV

Then I'd recommend you give hoi3 a try, definitely the most complex and ambitious game paradox has made. All the dlc is pretty much mandatory, and mods help a lot too.

Also worth looking at if you enjoy this sort of games is Grigsby War in the East for more ww2 strategy, CMANO if you like modern naval and air combat, Assault Squad 2 for ww2 tactics, Aurora 4x for full blown legit autism.

Exactly my type of games. Thanks. Are you aware of TacOps?

I loved and played the shit out of EU3, especially with mods like MEIOU.
EU4 fails to hold me the same way tbqh, but it's still good I suppose. I think the main problem is that whereas I was a mere map painter back in the EU3 days, I can only play tall nowadays, and it's basically boredom: the playstyle in EU4.

CK and Vicky, sure. The new HOI was trash. Way too arcady for my taste.

I really love it, but I got the Common Sense DLC and now it runs so slow on my computer now that I barely play it.

Does the Kingdom of Heaven has some basis in history?

The only thing I can somewhat remember is the Borgia Pope who was very ambitious but that's it.

No.
In fact, the very concept of the pope as supreme temporal power went directly against the main philosophy of legitimacy in the middle ages.
Even Borgia was more about creating a state large and powerful enough to make him a player rather than any real theological imperative to empower the papacy.

So Paradox made it up entirely?

That's really strange because even if EU is a shitfest most of it is based on actual history.

Also, the Kingdom of God eliminates the Curia/Holy See. Wasn't there a catholic priest who wanted to eliminate the curia? I don't even remember, should have actually studied theology instead of just playing EU.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_States

pops automatically make it good.

>play kaiserreich
>conquer britain as michael collins

KR is notriously pro-commie but man does it present some neato scenarios.

Kaiserreich reaks too much of Germaboo to be appealing to me.

I want to know why it is that the UK and Germany basically signed a white peace (since neither could destroy each other) but Germany still took 99% of its overseas colonies.

There's also the whole "We have to slightly change the names of every fucking country (for example, everything is "____ state" or "____ union") for no reason" thing.

Are these games inherently hard? Or there's just a high learning curve and after one gets the hang of things they become pretty easy?

I've played only EU3 and EU4 so I can't talk about the previous ones. But neither game is more complex than the other in my experience, they just have different mechanics.

yeah, once you get it down its trivial due to incompetent ai

They're pretty fun but they also kill me a little on the inside.

Once you master the mechanics it gets really easy as the AI can't put up a challenge, you have to use mods that make the AI more agressive and fuck up less

I have it. This "game" (if it can be called a game) is very, very outdated, but the weapons database is big and it has lots of options to make very open scenarios (unfortunately there is no AI). The Umpire tool, which allows a third player to modify the scenario in real time is what makes it stand out from all the other wargames.
Also it is very defense-sided, attacking is incredibly difficult.

I've only been playing vic2, eu3 and ck2 these last 7 years, i'm still not bored of playing them. They're just great games, though Vic 2 is a tad too easy.

If you want more historical accuracy, try EU1&2. It has more events, and it's harder to do map painting because the frequency of revolts is insane.

youtube.com/watch?v=E3cFiWtcT4k

Vicky II is the shit. If Paradox doesn't try to appeal to the normies and dumb down the game a la HOI4 and make a complicated Victoria III, I will throw all my shekels at it.

>Kaiserreich reaks too much of Germaboo to be appealing to me.
Play as National France and teach those Kaiserboos a lesson.
>I want to know why it is that the UK and Germany basically signed a white peace (since neither could destroy each other) but Germany still took 99% of its overseas colonies.
They white peaced, then Britain had its revolution 4 years later and Germany capitalized by scavenging all the good colonies.
>There's also the whole "We have to slightly change the names of every fucking country (for example, everything is "____ state" or "____ union") for no reason" thing.
Point there.

Maps a rectangle, worlds a sphere

Pretty good I like HOI 4 better though

FUCKING COMETS GET OUT OF MY EMPIRE
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

2bh

This might be a retarded question, but are you really expected to manually move each individual division in darkest hour/HOI 3?

Vicky II destroyed my ability to enjoy EU. Such an awesome game.

I used to think Vicky 2 is better than EU3. Dunno about EU4.

EU4 is good. But isn't that hard as Vicky II.

EU isn't very good. CK2 and Vicky 2 are THE paradox games to play

>pops automatically make it good.
Explain Stellaris then...

Stellaris is good now, it was half-done at the start (like every other paradox game).

I'd play these games if their dlc policies weren't so autistic. Can any players here tell me which dlc to get that are important or needed?

>itt: people enjoying hoi4

Because the UK experienced a communist revolution, and Germany stepped in and took control of the colonies, so as to stop them falling into Commie hands

EU4 is miles better just by virtue of not having a retarded infamy mechanic.
Seriously I love Vic2 but going back to a game that uses infamy is a pain in the ass.

Once you get used to the different sliders and mana points you realize the games are easy and shallow.

I also dislike EU3 colonization system that ends up in disgusting new world borders.

They aren't that easy if you are not filthy save scummer or easy mod countries mainer.

I seriously doubt anyone actually *likes* HoI4. They just think they do and tell themselves it's a masterpiece because their favourite game dev made it.

EU IV literally throws monarch points (which as a gameplay concept is fucking retarded) at you. Since you do everything after generating those points, the game becomes stupid easy. Abd playing OPM's is just depebdent on luck because after you snowball past a certain point the game can do shit all to stop you.

Only casuals hate monarch points in favor of the money points of EU3.

t. paradoxplaza pro gaymur

It is harder to manage three resources that just single one which is all-powerful ducats.

Vicky isn't hard. I don't know why everyone keeps spouting this meme. Max your tarrifs and taxes for the first few years, encourage the clergy, focus on your education, start building liquor factories in the meanwhile and then proceed with the cars, phones, etc, and by 1870-80 start focusing on the clergy, and no matter the nation you're playing, you'll be the strongest.

Europa Universalis: Rome is probably the hardest Paradox game and that's because of the sheer stupidity of battles, rebels and barbarians.

Is white guilt justified?

This is true, the only way where Vic2 can be hard is when you play custom map against westernized China at the start of the game and shit like that.