What's /His's/ favourite war/historical film?

What's your favourite historical/war film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=seP-jvRceNY
youtube.com/watch?v=FYEpih1T4wI
youtube.com/watch?v=eVBPGZEVRH0
youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Assembly

Battleship Potemkin is my pick as a cinema and history enthusiast

my comrade.

it's one of the not-shit and not super cheesy chi-com films

Longest Day

Mongol

Literally propaganda

Fury even if i disagree with the Tiger Tank Battle and Final Stand SS battle.

>Inb4 normie movie.

Fires on the Plain

Come and see and the 1993 stalingrad

This was probably the most unbiased and historically accurate film I've ever seen

youtube.com/watch?v=seP-jvRceNY

The Witch

The Thin Red Line is quite good.

Downfall.

The Great Escape, leaving aside the terrible German accents.

Zulu, even if the end is a bit nonsense.

I'd say Come and See. The barn burning seen is so cool.

Idi i smotri

inglorious basterds

Patton was pretty good.

Underrated.

The original All Quiet on the Western Front is a classic

>Not Threads

Have only seen the ending/execution, is it worth my time to watch the whole thing? Keep in mind my time is not that valuable.

Yeah, it's a great movie. One of my favorite WWII films that isn't military/war-based. Most of the dialogue from their arrest onward is based on transcripts as well.

Lore, set in Germany just as the war is ending and then afterward. Lots of creepy moments and little details on repeat viewings.

And a twist ending that I'm still conflicted about

Patton every time.

Great movie, that dog scene though.

This is fucking kino. Extremely well made, some scenes feel like documentary footage, because it was shot on location.

This

>Final Stand SS battle.
Literally from the book though.

Mein neger

"There are numerous historical inaccuracies in the film. For instance, its portrayal of the last Byzantine emperor, Constantine XI, as a hedonist (he was mostly celibate). The city at the time was far from its magnificence (which was long gone, as it had been sacked by European crusaders in 1204). The Great Palace was not in use at the time.[4] The film's portrayals of the Byzantines as a wealthy, powerful empire whose rulers lived lives of decadence and luxury at the time of the Conquest may be motivated for dramatic purposes, but they do not reflect the true situation in Constantinople in 1453.[5]

The film only depicts the ethnically Turkish element of the Ottoman army. In reality, the Ottoman army was very diverse, including many Balkan converts to Islam as well as Christian levies and the armies of the Sultan's Christian vassals.[6]

Giovanni Giustiniani was wounded by an Ottoman cannon while defending the walls of Constantinople, as opposed to being killed in single combat. Some sources say the wound was caused by a crossbow bolt. He died of the effects of his wound in the early days of June 1453.[4]

Constantine XI is given a burial. In fact he had died fighting at the gates and as customary for Ottoman troops, his body was beheaded. Although his body was recovered, his head was not, leading many Byzantines to believe that Constantine XI was alive.[7]

Sultan Mehmet entered the city after one day of looting of the army.[8]"

That's why I like it. My first time watching it I was thinking "wait, are there documentary scenes cut into this? It looks totally real."

It always makes me giggle a bit when people pick out the "historical inaccuracies" of stuff like Fury, BoB, The Pacific, Hacksaw Ridge etc. despite the fact they were based on actual reports and testimonies.

The best film about Marie Antoinette, in my opinion. Set during her trial and based almost completely on the transcript of her trial as well as the memoirs written by people who worked at the prison.

Do mini-series count?

>that one scene towards the end where the new guy joins just as they find the concentration camp and he witnesses surrendered German soldiers getting gunned down and the rest of the group is just like meh

You have to look at both sides though. I read a well regarded history of WWII in France that included a description, based on sworn reports, of an English unit mowing down a German infantry company that was marching through a town, in formation, in an active combat zone. Just mowed them down of course.

Of course, the German officer responsible for that town on that day says no such happened even remotely, and used the regimental payroll records to back him up. Never happened.

No one has mentioned Lawrence of Arabia.

Nor historical epics like Ben-Hur or The Man Who Would Be King.

Cross of Iron

I watched half of this ages ago, liked it for how well it depicted Imperial Japanese Army life. Didn't stay engaged though as I didn't really empathize with anyone.
Should I re-watch and finish it? I liked Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence a lot.

I vote yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=FYEpih1T4wI

>MMMMMMMIIIIIIINEN!!

I was being sarcastic, if you couldn't tell

Thank you

DAS BOOT

i always thought the most messed up part of BoB was the spaghetti trick

literally stress the movie
youtube.com/watch?v=eVBPGZEVRH0

this to be honest family

>REAR RANK, FIRE

youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A

Waterloo is pure /kino/

>those are all real people

Feels like a documentary during some parts of it.
Outstanding war film for its time.

Where can I watch this as an American?

ADVANCE

>inglorious basterds

The thing about this movie that alwys entertains me is the fact, that every character is such a perfect allegory for the war itself.

I like that Hans Landa is an Austrian. I don't know if that was intentional by Tarantino since Landa was meant to be played by Leo, but I simply like the fact that Landa is Austrian.

Like the real state of Austria, Landa is at first a fanatic nazi, liking is jew killing but once he has to get an out on the whole third reich, be betrays Hitler and denounces his previous job.

The real Austria would have served Hitler on a gold platter to the allies, if they had the chance.

A very good movie and what infuriated me the most was the fact, that her dumb shit boyfriend finally broke down and told the Gestapo everything. The worst part, that shit did really happen. Good pure Sophie was not a rat but her dumb shit boyfriend was.

>How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause? Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?

Sophie was too pure

does this count as Veeky Forumskino

>A very good movie and what infuriated me the most was the fact, that her dumb shit boyfriend finally broke down and told the Gestapo everything.

Eh? Her boyfriend wasn't arrested, he was in Russia when she was arrested and couldn't get back in time. It was Hans who confessed after they had matched evidence on his person with papers from his apartment connected to the White Rose.

Rule of thumb about historical films is that great movies are typically not accurate and accurate movies are typically not great. Das Boot is one of the most accurate war films I've ever seen but it's objectively boring as fuck, meanwhile Saving Private Ryan is fantastic from a moviemaking standpoint but it's dogshit cartoonish American propaganda when it comes to accuracy.

SVP is pretty fucking good, at least the first part.

they were pretty accurate on the Ranger company storming Omaha iirc

>tfw had a similar thing happen at Navy boot camp as punishment

Dang! Suite Francaise is getting dumped on Lifetime instead of getting a proper release in the US.