How would World War III have played out in the 1980s?

What if the Cold War went hot (not nuclear, mind you, just conventional)? I've read all sorts of fiction during this era about what would have happened.

Option A: Soviets invade West Germany
Option B: Soviets flank north through the Scandinavians
Option C: Sino-Soviet split escalates
Option D: Crisis in the Middle East escalates

So, Veeky Forums, what is the most reasonable option(s)? What year would it have occurred? Pay in mind I'm talking mostly about a conventional war, but I could understand some sort of limited nuclear engagement.

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SPBmJGh5oNk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everyone dies.

elaborate

No

damn

for a very accurate portrayal of wwiii download and watch 'Threads' from 1984.
You won't sleep for a week

Russia would invade the US mainland through Alaska.

And having to go through Canada? What's your reasoning behind that??

>Canada
>a threat in any way whatsoever

Our allies might have a problem with it though

>What if the Cold War went hot (not nuclear, mind you, just conventional)?
What a nonsense question. The structure, equipment, vehicles, training, and doctrine of both sides are entirely built around the war going nuclear.

Wouldn't all the Canadian allies be US allies anyways?

I know, but there are plenty of books (Team Yankee, Red Storm Rising, The Third World War) that depict it as being mostly conventional, with nuclear war as a last-ditch option.

It's extremely doubtful that such a war could last without resulting in a nuclear exchange. The Soviets made no secret that they would launch if they were ever backed into a corner. The Soviets were also very into the idea of smaller, "tactical" nuclear systems that could (in theory) be used without escalating to the level of a full-blown nuclear exchange. The purpose of the conventional military is to reassure allied nations, and to bully smaller, weaker countries into submission, such as the US did to Vietnam, and the Soviets did to Afghanistan.

Canadian Marines

If the war lasts longer than two weeks, and there is no diplomatic solution (such as a ceasefire to give both sides time to talk it out) in place by that time, then it will very likely result in a nuclear exchange.

Read the SIOPs you doofus. Shit's a coinflip and can easily be all of them at once.

fags desu

See, there's a reason why counterfactual history is relegated to fiction. It's by its very nature reliant on the imagination. Military planners have to draw up hundreds of war plans to account for all possibilities and variations. You can look them up. They're all valid seeing as WWIII didn't actually happen.

Is this a thinly veiled WiC thread

I was guessing more of a Wargame theme, but to each their own I guess...

>tfw you'll never hum New Order's "Elegia" while denying PACT airfields in East Germany
;_;

pussy
film was dumb af

my proudest fap

god thats sum gud footage

That's because it is extremely hard to write an engaging story about a nuclear war. This is why most stories about nuclear war tend to take place in the aftermath, or the events leading up to it.

You got some good taste nigga

Speaking of New Order, I recently found out the original MV for Blue Monday had lots of cool military weaponry in the background:

youtube.com/watch?v=SPBmJGh5oNk

If that was the case the Soviets wouldn't have gone full retard on conventional military spending.

Conventional and nuclear aren't mutually exclusive but complementary.

They aren't called tankies for nothing. How can you discipline rebellious neighbors without tanks?

>Future War 198x will never ever be translated into English

why even live?

You can't even get the english dub now since BakaBT went private.

Well shit, it might as well become a lost film.

Thank g*d I kept my account active.

Although I gotta say, as scummy as it was for the english dubbers to hire only one VA to do an hour long monologue, the addition of Witchhunt by Rush during the actual "shit goes south" sequence was pretty hella sick.

>yfw every East German, Polish, Czechoslovak and Hungarian army group turns on the USSR

Soviets would probably take the rest of Europe, but it's unlikely they would be able to advance militarily in Asia or the Americas

YES

Option B seems like a very unlikely scenario, they could get maybe northern Norway as that area was deemed almost undefensible in the event of Soviet invasion. But cold war era Sweden had a very large army and Finland was nothing to scoff at either. Of course neither were NATO countries. But I don't find this scenario feasible at all. This is of course without nuclear involvement which wouldn't reflect reality.

>Some American writes a story about Russia invading Yugoslavia
>Never happens
>Years later America actually DOES invade Yugoslavia
What did he meme by this?

got the magnet for it?