Can someone explain runes to me?

Can someone explain runes to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oVJgq_4kF7c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

An invention by the Etruscans. As always Northern Europeans copied Southern European innovation and later said "we wuz writers n sheeit" despite being nothing of the sort.

Actually, it's more likely to be northern italic characters adopted, with some others taken or modified from etruscan, or latin, apart from a scant amount of original characters

Well, weren't the Etruscan runes inspired by the Greek Alphabet?

Etruscans had an alphabet, which derived from the Greek one

And the Greeks took their alphabet from.the Phoenicians

Not originally. Greeks had an alphabet, lost it, than modified the phonocan alphabet.

Learn what an alphabet is, Greeks had a poly-phonemic writing system, not an alphabet
I know

youtu.be/oVJgq_4kF7c

You mean Linear B? That was a syllabary with ideograms. As far as we know, the later Greek alphabet was the first alphabet in the world.

Yes, I meant Linear B, Linear B was not an alphabet, I thought you were talking about it, since you said Greeks had an alphabet and then lost it, I thought you believed Linear B was an alphabet, since that is the script that Bronze age Greeks used and then lost.

As far as we know, the first alphabets were developed in the Levant and Egypt: Proto Sinaitic alphabet (1500 bc), the Ugaritic (1400 bc) alphabet, then Phoenician (1100 bc), Phoenicians then settled in Uboea around 850 bc and by 800-750 bc Greeks developed their own in Euboea from the Phoenician one.

Uh, I'm not the guy you were replying to in your other post.
Proto-Sinaitic, Ugaritic and Phoenician are all abjads, meaning that they only have consonant letters. Vowels are implied by phonology or with indicated with diacritic-like vowel markers, just like in modern-day Arabic.
The Greek alphabet was the first alphabet in the sense of having both independent consonant and vowel letters.

Uh, an alphabet doesn't have to have vowels, sorry but you guys can't just make up your own definition of things, Greek was the first alphabet with vowels, but not the first alphabet.

There are at least two different definitions that I am aware of. Using the first one, you're right, using the second one, you're wrong.
>1. An alphabet is a standard set of letters (basic written symbols or graphemes) that is used to write one or more languages based upon the general principle that the letters represent phonemes (basic significant sounds) of the spoken language.
>2. Under a terminological distinction promoted by Peter T. Daniels, an "alphabet" is a script that represents both vowels and consonants as letters equally. In this narrow sense of the word the first "true" alphabet was the Greek alphabet, which was developed on the basis of the earlier Phoenician alphabet.
So just for the record: Phoenician was the first known alphabet in the broadest sense, while Greek was the first alphabet featuring independent vowel letters.

Ok, either way, what he said, that the Greeks had an alphabet and then lost it is wrong, that never happened, and I have no idea what he was referring too since he said himself he wasn't wrongly thinking of Linear B

>Under a terminological distinction promoted by Peter T. Daniels, an "alphabet" is a script that represents both vowels and consonants as letters equally. In this narrow sense of the word the first "true" alphabet was the Greek alphabet, which was developed on the basis of the earlier Phoenician alphabet.

I wouldn't say Peter Daniels purposefully trying to make a distinction should suffice as a definition. If anything the use of vowels should be a sub-type of alphabet, rather than removing the title of alphabet from Phoenician.

Ok

old germanic way of writing, used mostly on stones and wood which is why there are just really straight lines. some of them look a lot like the etruscan letters, so it probably got a lot of influence from it, which in turn got it from the greeks, which in turn got it from the phoenicans, which in turn got it from the egyptians.

Linear B was derived from Linear A which was derived from Egyptian Hieroglyphs, like the Phoenician abjad

It all boils down to KANGS

>Linear A which was derived from Egyptian Hieroglyphs

No evidence for this at all. More likely Linear A was related to the Vinca syllabary.

this. kangz btfo