"Verily you shall conquer Constantinople. What a wonderful leader will her

>"Verily you shall conquer Constantinople. What a wonderful leader will her
leader be, and what a wonderful army will that army be!"
Is he really the greatest Islamic general of all time?

bumpdjdj

>live short life
>all you do militarily is taking constantinople with zerg rush and uniting some turkish tribes under your flag

he is not a general type ottoman sultan but more of a reformer, strategist kind (which is very rare).

>*khalid bin al walid appears out of nowhere*

were there any good modern muslim generals?

No man in the last 1400 years the religion existed they didn't do anything.
Actually nobody but blonde haired blue eyed scandis did anything worthwile ever.

I'm talking about from 1945 onwards you pendantic faggot, let me rephrase, 'contemporary muslim general'

I don't think he was that great of a general, he was good at military organisation and statesmanship

The whole getting ships over land into the horn of Constantinople was cool

Imagine how amazing it must have been to be him tho or in his army tho.

You have this little book which for you is above life and law and it says how only the greatest general would capture Constantinople.

Two other sieges held by generals much greater than you didn't do the trick.

But then YOU came, a literal one in all of humanity and conquered it. It must have felt fucking fantastic.

at the age of 21 too

Shamil Basayev and Ibn al-Khattab

would Osama Bin Laden be a good muslim general too then?

If he lived longer, do you think he would've gone back to italy to try again?

not that guy but Basayev was legit, he was the reason the chechens managed to won the first war against superpower like russia. also adding ahmad shah massoud to that list

>Byzantium was already at its weakest state
>have 100000 men against 7000 in the Byzantine side and win
>WOW SUCH SUCCESS I'M THE BEST GUYS
Mehmet ll is so overrated

>Byzantium was already at its weakest state
Does that matter?

Persia was weakened when the Arabs came marching. India was weakened when the British arrived on their shores. The entire world was weakened when America emerged as a superpower.

They still thrived.

>1453
>Byzantium is just Constantinople and a small enclave in Morea
>meanwhile Ottomans have the Balkans and Anatolia
>can also amass more funds and manpower than the Byzantines could ever do by then
The Byzantines were already on their death bed by then unless if the Ottomans were struck by some other calamity by some chance. Besides, even if the Byzantines managed to repel Mehmet II, they would be in a far weaker state and the Ottomans would just send another army to capture it like it's nothing.

underrated post

>GUYS YOU'RE SUCH IDIOTS, HE USED EVERYTHING TO HIS AVDVANTAGE LOL
>IT WASNT A REAL FIGHT, CANT BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS FELL FOR IT

Man the art of war really is full of shit, l guess attacking when the enemy is weakest is my mistake for being a dishonorable general

Nobody implied that Mehmet II was dishonourable for attacking Constantinople at its weakest state but it's not something that should be held as an amazing victory for the Ottomans. Byzantium was already in the shitter while his army was superior so it was a cakewalk for him. If anything it was much impressive that the defenders pulled a Thermopylae and decided to stay and fight against all the odds instead of surrendering.

>it doesn't count byzantine lost to Turks in the first place

It's true that Mehmed struck the last blow but it was last blow of a 400 years of struggle between Greeks and Turks that even started Crusades.

Then how come westerners make it out to be a big deal ?

>You have this little book which for you is above life and law and it says how only the greatest general would capture Constantinople.
>Two other sieges held by generals much greater than you didn't do the trick.
Jesus Christ imagine how emasculated the Arabs must have felt.

He tipped over a dying patient who was about 5 days away from being unplugged.

Because Constantinople was culturally one of the centers of Christianity? No shit people lament the fall.

I have translated some quotes from Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror for you lads;

>"Genuine art is creating a city and filling the hearts of its inhabitants with felicity."

>"Tell your Emperor that even his dreams cannot reach where my might does!"

>"Not worried of owls, we the pack of hawks."

>"The palace of the Caesars have been covered with cobwebs. On the towers of Afrasiab an owl hoots."

>"It is not possible for me to leave. Either i take this city or it takes me. If the Emperor wants to leave i shall give him Morea. I shall sign with him a treaty of friendship and give his sibling another Sanjak. But if i do not enter the city in peace then i shall punish all of its nobility with death and distribute its remaining populace to my soldiers as slaves.The city is enough for me even deserted. "

>"I have left you the riches and the captives, but the monuments belong only to me."

>"One must try the impossible to find the limits of the possible."

>"Such a beautiful castle the eagle has built to defend its nestlings." Upon seeing the Shkodër castle.

>"The Christian realm has lost its sword and shield." Comment upon hearing the news of Skanderbeg's death.

>"Knowing the enemy is staving off the danger."

>"When Agamemnon conquered Troy he had a Homer to make him famous, alas i have no Homer."

Truly the last Kaiser-i Rum

Based as hell

>they chose this over Catholics

you asked for it, schismatics

>lament the fall when christians refused to help byzantium

That user is kinda right, western europeans shouldn't even be allowed to mention constantinople

Look at me, I am the Emperor of the romans now.

Considering that western europe was in a state of total war then it's no surprise why they couldn't help. Besides there were already two crusades on the Ottomans so you can't say that they didn't care. Not to mention that after Constantinople fell the Pope was horrified from the news and called for a crusade.

Nader Shah, the 18th century is technically modern.

20th century modern? Maskhadov probably.

Very obvious one.

Aside from him the Ottomans had a few surprisingly good generals in WW1. Halil Pasha is probably the most prominent example aside from Kemal. He inflicted on the British their worst defeat in the Middle Eastern Front besides Gallipoli, when he outmaneuvered them at Kut and trapped a division inside the town while baiting them to send relief forces at his well-entrenched forces on the outskirts. Fending off attacks from both the garrison and the relief forces, he progressively ground them down. By the time the siege ended, 13,000 men surrendered to him, and 60,000 had been killed, wounded, or evacuated sick, compared to 10,000 total casualties for his force. Later he managed to hold the Mesopotamian Front in good order despite overwhelming British numerical superiority in the later stages of the campaign and keep his army intact, though numbers began to tell and he still lost Baghdad.

I wish I studied the Turkish War of Independence more. There are probably some good candidates there.