How was the life of the Daily serf or peasant in villages? What was their routine...

How was the life of the Daily serf or peasant in villages? What was their routine? were they allowed to enter the Lord's forest or were they forbidden? Were they given any certain rights?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hnQNC1cXujw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What season is it?

Harvest season versus non-harvesting season.

Was shit. Not suprising since they were bottom of the totem pole

This looks so comfy

What country?
Why do people assume all serfs and nobility across Europe acted the same.
Triggers me desu

away with you, vile beggar

>get up
>eat porridge and drink bear
>work
>eat sour bread, if lucky with some lard, and drink bear
>work
>eat porridge and drink bear
>sleap
/repeat

>drink bear

repeet*

Would a peasant know his/her place early on? Or would one of the Lord's men tell them?

Sometimes you drink the bear, sometimes the bear drinks you.

peasantry and lordship are instinctual

>drink bear
>sleap
i wanna party with you

The ottoman empire.

Pretty great

It's almost harvesting season!

>serf or peasant

if you're a yeoman peasant pretty comfy, unless there's a war going on.

>Not suprising since they were bottom of the totem pole

nope, that would be the outlaws or villains.

Peasants in the feudal era likely had it better than early industrial workers.

Depends what country, though, really. I imagine serf life in Russia would have been miserable compared to, say, England or France.

In Western Europe, peasants could expect certain protections from their lords, and certain rights, and certain enforcement of law. But they also faced being called up to war, sometimes very unfair taxation, and they had to work quite hard. But they also consumed A HELL of a load of calories.

Seriously, look up caloric intake of peasants in England during Tudor times and you'll be amazed. They just stuffed their faces constantly.

They would work all day and play music in the evenings, then when it was dark they would go to sleep, because candles were too expensive for most people. They did almost always have a hearth, but there's only so much light you can get from one of those.

In the 900s-1000s, serfs were shit on in Western Europe. Lords could request money/taxation at any time for any reason.

Later on (13th-14th c) things got better b/c taxation was scheduled and was the same amount more or less every year

>

>

>

Was it true only a male can farm the land? And women stayed at home doing raising and doing chores at home?

>tfw i don't need to speculate because i live in romania and i can just go to a village and observe how they live

Sometimes, they even park their carriages next to Porsches at Lidl. Good people, peasants.

When the fuck is this not almost harvesting season gonna fucking last?

Mount and blade?

Hell no. Husband, wife, and children all worked and farmed the land.

It was pretty damn communal, to the point of peasants talking about themselves in the plural. There was an infamous court case where a Russian guy was arrested for yanking nails out of train tracks, and he just taps his forehead knowingly and says something like "You didn't lock us up for taking nails. After all, we left the important nails safely in place! You just wanted to blame us for the train crash because you can't admit to being bad engineers."

Also someone losing their virginity was a major celebration that everyone was by default invited to watch.

>steals nails from train tracks resulting in killing people and causing a lot of damage
>even admitting to understand that it would cause accidents
>blames the justice system and the government

Russia.

Peasantry

Black plague killed off so many peasants that the remaining peasantry had a greater say. When they got too uppity, rebellions were taken out, but nobles needed peasants in the end.

Theres a pretty huge difference between serf and a peasant. Peasants own their land and are not bound to it either. Serfs are basically property and come attached to a piece of land someone else owns and cant leave without permission

It isn't so comfy when you wake up after a shit sleep on itchy ass straw and getting eaten alive by fleas.

How do they live? How common is subsistence farming in Romania?

and cold. and damp. and constantly on the edge of pneumonia.

>ywn live a comfy peasant life feasting and carousing with your bros
>tfw wageslave consuming soyfud(tm) in current year

Here's some interesting notes about Peasants in England and Law. Early English law was based off the Hundred System of the Germans. Essentially villages were organized into the Hundreds. If someone commited a crime in that hundred of lads, the entire group would have to make sure the punishment was exacted. So for example if someone was murdered the fine for murder would include payment to the king/lord for the cost of the murder implement used. When court was held, the hundred was responsible for making sure the man who commited the crime or is suspected of it is detained until a Sheriff came to town to officiate the case. This would later become the premise of a Jury of your peers.

About harvest season/Forests in England. Most peasants were allowed the rights to collect sticks and twigs in the forest as well as collect other refuse. Hunting and forestry was also legal in parts, except for the royal forests. Pigs could also be allowed into the forest to feast on acorns and grow big and fat. Before winter these pigs would be rounded up and brought back to town where the ones that wouldn't survive winter would be killed and the rest would be brought inside to increase heat conservation. Their intestines would be used to make sausages, and their bladdars would be blown up and filled with seeds to become the first Football which kids would play before it got too cold. The extra meat that wasn't going to cure over winter or be made into sausages was sealed in pots.

Better than urban proles. They're like the most obnoxious and terrible people you'd have to deal with.

This is a great answer.

But to restate something obvious, the location of the peasants, the timeframe and just about every other detail is going to make a big impact on the daily life of a peasant.

Damn right

youtube.com/watch?v=hnQNC1cXujw

Love it have 1229 hours

Who here Rhodok?

user, there is another 4-5 social classes below them.
ANOTHER 4-5 SOCIAL CLASSES BELOW THEM !

It's almost harvesting season

Cuck

It wasn't the cartoonist misery and toil that many people imagine, but equally it wasn't some jolly comfy agrarian idyll. (Of course it could quickly become hell if your manorial lord was a wanker or if the harvest failed).

People generally had enough to eat and drink (drinking beer basically all the time), although it would have tasted awful and been monotonous in it's staples, they had a prodigious calorie intake but restrictions on protein and such meant they tended to be shorted than average.

Work was hard and tedious whatever you were doing but you had a surprising number of days off. Every Sunday and a lot of Saints days.

Typically you had to work for your Lord some of the time (not necessarily in farming) and the rest would tend some "your" land (actually the Lords but given to you for subsistence).

There are hundreds of ways it would suck compared to our cushy modern lives though.

>Most people only had one or two tunics. They would have smelled most of the time and it was probably made of scratchy wool against your bare skin.
>Fires tended to be in the centre of the house, rather than in a chimney. Breathing smoke all the time and getting lung cancer at high rates.
>The tunics from above, you probably made them yourself, you don't know misery until you have had to spin wool.
>In the winter it is so fucking dark. The only light you have is fire, which you would probably try to conserve.
>Even in the Spring and Autumn, your windows are holes and doors, live in darkness or freeze?

Don't exaggerate. Hyperbole has no place in serious historical discussion.

Peasants and serfs are basically the same.
It's yeoman that own land and would serve as longbowmen in the king's army
Depends on country and year
But generally it was a good life, as the lord would respect you if you respected him, and would make sure not too many died to plague

I phrased that in an autistic as fuck way, sorry, but you get what I meant.

Good stuff, Anons. Not OP, but could you guys give me a quick rundown on how were people's personalities and morals in general at the time? I just want a detailed description of how a peasant's general life was from childhood to adulthood. I'm sure there were many autistic, mentally ill, chaddy and even nice kinds of peasants even at that time.

Maybe just giving me a source for this kind of knowledge would do too.

Isn't that a stupid question?
Half the reason people don't know their places in modern times, is that society isn't segregated in a meaningful way.

What about Free tenant?

>I was annoyed at the spelling too

almost harvesting season of course
>what a stupid question

that stuff was hardwired into your psyche from birth in that era

yo i live in serbia and we are very into peasantry here
most income comes from mining, cutting wood or farming and there are some craftsmens and traders. working in carpentery, bricklaying and painting/decoration is a big deal and every peasant thinks he's damn good at it while most of them are shit. people often travel and stay away for months from home in order to do some seasonal job
as for the ones who live by farming it just depends on how much you want to work and you have to work very hard to be a respectable domaćin and maintain a decent home. people judge you by your house and by how much you have built during your lifetime
if you are not a landowner or you can't afford the means to work your own land you can work getting paid daily. if you are not very lazy you can make a living for yourself and your family in this way and if you are smart you can progress. both men and women work like this
i'm pretty sure it always used to be this way only people now are lazier because they can leech off the government. pensions, welfare and other government help are thoroughly sought after by peasants
in the end it all depends on what type of life you expect to live. some want to live like the americans with big houses and big cars and they work very hard for it. some are very happy to live on top of a mountain in a mud house with a flock of sheep and some cows
also a lot of illitterate fucks work in government like functionaries, inspectors, teachers, etc and especially in the last years their main concern has been to steal as much as they can and do as little work as possible

a normal worker who works for a landowner gets paid at the end of the day and will work about half the days in a year like this, from spring to fall he will get up at dawn and usually work until 5-6pm. in the evening we like to go in front of the store in the village and drink beer, listen to folk music and talk about village politics, like who fucked whos wife

It was awesome before they invented money.

Swadian Untermensch

>implying money hasn't always existed in one way or another

>It was awesome before they invented money.

Hey guys I just want you all to know I really FUCKING LOVE barter-based economics.

>barter-based economies.
it was shit

THE CROPS DONALD

Here comes the comie cuck shitposting all the way from top to bottom of the thread

>Also someone losing their virginity was a major celebration that everyone was by default invited to watch
Tell us more.

>drink bear thrice a day

How many serfs worked on ghe same acre of land?

Ayo hol up
You sayin I is a citizen now

No

He cant because he literally made it up.

there would be several acres of commons, small plots, woodland and lord's demesne per serf

Imagine being less than six feet from your parents fucking and making you a sibling, hearing in intimate detail the sound of your dad grunting as he orgasms in your mom and smelling the musty scent of your mom's unwashed asshole and vagina.

I know that but I heard like four people is enough for an acre. Just want to know if its true

Ayyyyy

The acre would have to produce over a ton of grain per year which isn't realistic unless they were getting food from elsewhere. It possibly meant a vegetable garden.

>Yes anons tell us about the CHAD peasants
>what did the CHAD peasants do?
>Yes user tell us how the CHAD peasants would take all the village girls and even the occasional noblewoman
FUCK OFF

No, I meant to say if four people working on an acre of land. I wanted to know if that is true.

How about banter-based economies?

Many wars would have been fought if we implement that type of economy

Reymont: The peasants
if you are into reading novels, gives you a great and somewhat entertaining rundown of their lives

What did /r9k/ mean by this?

> peasantanon wakes up in the predawn gloom and dons his woolen tunic
> he eats cold porridge in front of the embers of last night's fire as his wife nurses their infant child behind him
> without speaking, peasantanon walks out into the dark morning to the brown bear chained to the rear of his hut
> heavy iron shackles bind each of its feet to the wall and as it sees peasantanon, the beast gives a roar that is half indignant rage and half fear
> peasantanon says nothing as he drops to his knees in front of the best and takes its penis in his mouth
> the best struggles as peasantanon sucks harder and faster, his head bobbing violently into and out of the fur of the bear's belly
> with a final humiliated howl, the best ejaculates hot semen into peasantanon's mouth
> peasantanon rises, wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and slowly marches to the field as the sounds of sucking and roaring rise up into the chill morning air from the village around him

That's my fetish.

I always wondered where they got their protein.

Fucking Russia.

Why did you think homosexual deviancy evolved?

Protein suppositories.

I prefer to imagine myself as the dad

Everyone starts as the kid tho.

Would any of you give me some book recommendations about day to day life of a peasant? Preferably 11th to 13th century.

That they can't get laid no matter the timeperiod?

Failure to socialize is universal across time and culture

I've fucked in front of my kids. While they were sleeping, of course. And never after they aged past the point when they have that comatose two year old sleep.

Now that they're older, if the wife and I want to knock boots during the day we just kick them out into the yard with the slip and slide or put Spongebob on the TV or something. I shit you not, the theme to that show gives me an erection every time.

Yes. Because that's all that was wrong there.

>I have never looked at accounts of early 20th century Russian peasantry
As always, A People's Tragedy is an easily digested source on this. When I get home I could dig out my old copy and check the sources in that chapter to get more precise accounts.

Oh yeah, also, the best place for peasant shenanigans is from Russian intellectuals. There was a time near the end of empire where peasants were held up as pure and innocent, and Smart People chose to live amongst them. This almost always ended with an upset professor riding back into town with lurid tales of how miserable it was.

>user admitting his deviant sexual practices

When did this board become /b/?

Wait, I found a copy online and grabbed the correct page.

>Married with kids
>On Veeky Forums

I dont even

Jesus Christ, and I thought the pregnant Anne Frank fetishists on this board were sick in the head...

Every board is /b/ deep down

>bear

include me in the screencap on Reddit xD