19yo student

>19yo student
>just finished analysing my bank statement
>of the $6,000 I made in the last quarter I spent over half on unnecessary shit like fast food and alcohol

I feel like a fucking idiot and am pasting a picture of the number $3118.85 above my bed to remind me every day I wake up to not be retarded until my October statement. What are some other strategies fellow students here use to save professionally?

>inb4 just don't spend money xD

Spending on food isn't stupid. Spending on alcohol (an unnecessary product) makes you a filthy degenerate

food? yes.
fast food? surely not

I just need to discipline myself on meal prep and avoid temptation when I'm out on work break or with friends

>alcohol
>unnecessary

Anything specific you plan spending your money on?
Otherwise I would suggest maybe cutting down on unreasonable purchases and set your spending limits for nights out (take cash!) but I don't think spending money on a good time while you are young is “unnecessary“.
Don't become a rich, antisocial NEET in mum's basement

M8 if you can avoid debt on 24k per year youre not doing THAT bad. you can maybe get it down to 15k per year but it would be better to just use that effort towards getting more money.

Gotta live a little. Just dont eat out anymore, learn to cook tasty food for yourself. No reason to be too hung up on it man

You realise fast food is the cheapest food you can buy right? if you start home cooking meals with fresh ingredients you're going to be spending more

>wahh food was more than half my paycheck
welcome to the shitty reality of our world

but that's wrong

You can eat healthy for $200 month

Healthy isn't using the vegetable sachet in your instant noodles user

That's completely wrong unless you live in the US.

It's correct where I live, which isn't the US. is everyone in this thread skeletal, living on 500 calories per day or something?

Why does the meal prepping meme make me so angry?

Being from a third world hellhole cooking things for yourself and eating leftovers is nothing new yet every time I see it mentioned online it makes me want to punch the smug fucker saying it

Eat less and get a gym subscription instead of getting alcohol

Rice is cheap, broccoli is cheap, sweet potatoes are cheap, chicken breast is cheap (if youre vegan you can just use pea protein which is
Getting good fats is expensive but if you can get flaxseed in bulk its not too bad. You can easily live off $150-$200

At that point why even bother being alive though

>You realise fast food is the cheapest food you can buy right?
Oh boy /r/Frugal is gonna have a field day with you. Lentils, lentils, lentils.

Where I live for the price of a McBurgers menu (which usually leaves me hungry anyway in spite of its ridiculously high caloric input) I can cook a proper healthy fucking banquet at home.

already been lifting for 4 years
when I've meal prepped in the past I've been able to stretch $60 worth of groceries for a week, which sure beats more than one $10 fast food meal a day. The hard bit is being consistent with it.
Yeah I know. Learn from mistakes etc. Can't help but imagine though that I could've been in a much better financial position if i acted a bit more Jewish lol

Same here except also weed.

College is raising us to be baby men. I eat just a fuckload or rice beans chicken and fish now. Savings are astronomical.

Where do you live?

Townsville, QLD

tl;dr track your spending and pay yourself first

I used to be like that, spending money on shit, destroyed my savings and etc. But now I save a fuck ton of money. Let me tell you how:

1. track your spending and income. Save receipts or write down your purchases EVERY FUCKING DAY.

2. after a month, calculate how much you spend on crap and create a weekly budget. It's easier that way.

3. Pay yourself first: when you get paid, put some money on a savings account or invest, and don't fucking touch this money for as long as possible.

4. Learn how to cook. Seriously. This will save you thousands of dollars every year, and it's much healthier. You can cook your meals in bulk for the week and freeze them.

5. learn more about investing. This shit comes later. First, you need to stop spending so much, then you build an emergency fund, and then you start investing.

Alright I'm living in Melbourne and I've been living off $50 groceries a week for 2 years now.

Best advice I can give is start thinking about how they eat in 3rd world countries. You want low cost calories heavily flavoured with spices. Think lentils, rice, beans (And with 50 you can actually get away with pasta, bread, oats and potatoes) and stuff like cumin, paprika etc. The spices wont be a weekly thing once you own them they last forever.

Your shop should look like this -

Week 1:
10kg bag of rice ($10)
2x Loaf of bread ($2) + peanut butter ($3)
Cheap vegetables (talking $10 of brocolli, onions, pumpkin, capsicum, frozen bags, carrots - figure it out)
$10 cheapest meat you can find (Should be about 1.5kg - 2kg)

Then week two, replace the rice with spices, and then potatoes or sweet potato or seasonal fruit. Eventually you'll have inventory of enough to keep variety. Find recipes like stews that you can create 4 meals out of. And then you're looking at A small amount of fruit plus toast and PB for breakfast, the main meal for lunch and then something light at night.

Find recipes online that call for cheap ingredients and spices. Also - fucking google it there's a news article once a month for some mother on the dole that feeds her family of 4 for under 80 or some shit. You're one mouth - not 4 - it's not too hard

>Buying alcohol
Don't

Also, maybe learn to hunt. Deer is delicious, you can easily get 6 months of delicious venison off of one to freeze