Was there a Roman accent? I'm so used to just imagining them speaking with a British accent because of movies and tv...

Was there a Roman accent? I'm so used to just imagining them speaking with a British accent because of movies and tv, do we know how they might actually sounded?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fIEZmpo4rkM
vocaroo.com/i/s153WyLrsppb
youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There was the proper latin (weeni weedi weeki=vini vidi vici) and then there were localized dialects most common people spoke which evolved into modern day spanish, french, italian, romanian, etc. There's no way to tell what the old forms of these languages sounded like

I guess this is the place to ask: did the Romans in Italy call themselves Italians or is that identifier more modern?

This plus there was no soft c. Every c or k was pronounced with a hard K. Cicero = Kikero.

Why does modern orthography make the distinction then?

What do you mean?

>Kikero
>Kike

So Caesar was pronounced as Kaiser than? Kaiser just doesn't sound Roman to me, but I guess that's because of the media and pop culture

Yes, and J is pronounced like Y. Hence
>Gaius Yoolius Kaisar

Even if it was the case why would the e suddently become a i?

et cetera is et ketera

AHÒ ANVEDI STO FIJO DE NA MIGNOTTA

> implying they don't have individual substrates

>a British accent
We're third Rome of course our accent is Roman
Disdain for proletariat.lithograph

>weeni weedi weeki
>*pulls rabit out of lorica segmentata*

>Gaius Yoolius Keezer
Sounds Jewish.

We can look at things like poetry, misspellings, and Roman guides to the Latin language to work backwards from Latin's modern decedent languages and figure out how the language was spoken in ancient Rome.

As I understand it, G was somewhere between G and K, and J was between Y and H. "Gaius Julius" could have been pronounced anywhere from "guy-us yoolius" to "kai-jus hoolius".

Yes and the British accent best represents it in media.

Consider, Britain is the heart of the English speaking world and language, the upper class British speak the most regal English, so to represent high class patrician Romans, it makes the most logical sense for them to speak RP English, rather than some swarthy Italian accent which would alienate western viewers.

THIS

The RP accent is very modern, though. Americans in the Pacific Northwest probably have the closest accent to how English was spoken in the 16th and 17th centuries.

That's a myth that keeps on being perpetuated.

The American accent is clearly the result of 100s of languages merging to speak English. You can see it very clearly in more remote places of America where accents haven't fully matured like Newfoundland.

Septimius Severus spoke Latin with a heavy Punic accent apparently. I wonder what that sounded like.

>>Britain is the heart of the English speaking world

>Bongs actually believe this

>The American accent is clearly the result of 100s of languages merging to speak English
That's why PNW and not California. There are only WASPs in Oregon and Washington (and Jefferson). Canada in general has relatively strong French and native influences compared to the US.

Not true. The old colonial accents were not rhotic until the Irish, Scottish, and Germans came. There are still regions in the South where they retained that non-rhotic aristocratic accent. They obviously still use it in Boston and New York too although it's become so heavily ghetto

The Church kept using Ecclesiastical Latin, but every language bastardizes it. So we hear the English bastardization of Ecclesiastical Latin.

>In no-min-ee pat-ri eet speerit-uh sanst-aye, ah-men.

Of course it is how could it not be, it's the origin of English.

youtube.com/watch?v=fIEZmpo4rkM

No one gives a shit about British English, American English is what they teach in 90% of English schools across the globe.

vocaroo.com/i/s153WyLrsppb

Tried to see if I could do a convincing Latin pronunciation/accent with some Martial. I studied Latin in school but I don't remember much and I'm probably terrible. Still, a fun exercise

The section I'm reading is from Book 10.XLVII of the Epigrams.

Ad Julium Martialem.
Vitam quae faciunt beatiorem,
Jucundissime Martialis, haec sunt :
Res non parta labore, sed relicta ;
Non ingratus ager ; focus perennis ;
Lis nunquam ; toga rara ; mens quieta ;
Vires ingenuae ; salubre corpus ;
Prudens simplicitas ; pares amici ;
Convictus facilis ; sine arte mensa ;
Nox non ebria, sed soluta curis ;
Non tristis torus, et tamen pudicus ;
Somnus, qui faciat breves tenebras ;
Quod sis, esse velis, nihilque malis ;
Summum nec metuas diem, nec optes

To Julius Martialis
The things that make a life to please
(Sweetest Martial), they are these:
Estate inherited, not got:
A thankful field, hearth always hot:
City seldom, law-suits never:
Equal friends agreeing ever:
Health of body, peace of mind:
Sleeps that till the morning bind:
Wise simplicity, plain fare:
Not drunken nights, yet loosed from care:
A sober, not a sullen spouse:
Clean strength, not such as his that plows;
Wish only what you are, to be;
Death neither wish, nor fear to see.

It's actually the diphthong ae being pronounced as ai

actually the closest to 16th/17th century English pronunciation is probably a mix between Irish and West Country

youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

Probably sounded very Arab since the language had been Semitic in origin.

Apparently the dialect of Latin spoken in Roman Britain was considered hilariously tryhard and posh, since Britons had been so markedly uncivilised compared to everyone else. They spoke a form of very outdated and classical Latin compared to their neighbours.

I guess my country is a part of the 10%, because the English we were taught was British.
Come on, give us a source for that number.

>Probably sounded very Arab since the language had been Semitic in origin.

>ego sum i-septimius i-sehfffferus, i-senatus boobulusque roomanus

Punic is strange.

>Hyth alonim vualonuth sicorathi si ma com sith, Chi mach chumyth mumys tyal mictibariim ischi, Lipho canet luth bynuthi ad ædin bynuthii. Birnarob syllo homalonin uby misyrthoho Bythym mothym noctothii velech Antidasmachon. Yssidele berim thyfel yth chylys chon, tern, lyphul Uth bynim ysdibut thinno cuth ru Agorastocles Ythe manet ihy chyrsæ lycoch sith naso Byuni id chil luhili gerbylim lasibit thym Bodyalyth herayn nyn nuys lym moncoth lusim

>I worship the Gods and Goddesses who preside over this city, that I may have come hither with good omen as to this business of mine, on which I have come; and, ye Gods, lend me your aid, that you may permit me to find my daughters and the son of my cousin; those who were stolen away from me, and his son from my cousin. But here lived formerly my guest Antidamas. They say that he has done that which he was doomed to do. They say that his son Agorastocles lives here. To him am I carrying with me this token of hospitality. He has been pointed as living in this neighbourhood. I'll make enquiry of these who are coming hither out of doors

In Germany it's British English.

>commonwealth countries are given American English lessons
>the largest empire in the world formed the largest successor state
Just think on this user

European here, was taught British English through all my education and the teachers really disliked Americanisms such as "ain't".

DELET

Niggas using googli translate for Latin and spewing out some nonsense

Ah, and V's were pronounced as W's
hence Convivium is Conwiwium

They had thick Chicago accents

isn't the ae pronounced as a long e, making it like Keezer instead?

so it wanks as high as any in Wome?

Rome started as just Rome. There were loads of others on Italy and it took a very long time and lots of wars for them to integrate fully. I would say most of them identified with their own people first and foremost until a long time after getting citizenship. They were all "italians" in theory but that wasn't really an identity.

weenie
kekero

Man by the name of Caesar. Or "Kaisar." Not sure how you're s'posed to say it.

>American English is what they teach in 90% of English schools across the globe.

I've met people from the continent, Singapore, Macau, Malaysia, Africa etc. Only one of them had learned American English because he went to an American overseas college, the rest had learned British English for the prestige.

>No one gives a shit about British English, American English is what they teach in 90% of English schools across the globe.
This is what Americans actually believe.

for one goddamn day can you fucking retards stop making my country look bad on the internet

Quintilian wrote he was mocked when in Rome because of his Iberian accent.

heh "weeni"

OY VEY. WE'VE BEEN FOUND OUT.

>kikero
There goes any interest I had in Rome.

>no vocaroo links
bruhs

>boobulusque
>The senate and boobulus of Rome
Fucking S·B·Q·R

SBGR :DD

BRAISE JUBIDER :DDDD ROMA INBIGDA

So your father was Woman uh?

I refuse to believe this.

>THE LOCATIVE
DOMVVVMMMM -VVMMM

I imagine there were a lot of different accents and dialects

I imagine a roman would sound very much as I speak Latin.

Regards,
Englishman

>vocaroo.com/i/s153WyLrsppb
Neat

Pretty spot on.

The most wrong post ever to be posted on Veeky Forums.

Rural accents across England were rhotic until the 1950s and still are in North West and South West England.

Ain't isn't an Americanism though.

Sounds like it's just a modern Italian accent to me

How do other languages do contractions like we isn't aren't etc?

Or how we say -ton because town used to be pronounced "toon" in England and if you say toon fast it becomes ton, like Bolton or Stockton or Plympton?

What is it then? I only hear Americans say it.

>anything about the South
>aristocratic
lmao

>tfw ecclesiastical pronunciation is beautiful but the real pronunciation is ugly and cumbersome.

Feels disillusioned man

American English split from British English right around the time that the British were standardizing spelling and grammar. "Ain't" is more American sounding nowadays because the British felt it was incorrect and discouraged its use, whereas Americans simply viewed it as colloquial and unsophisticated.

What does it mean anyway? What does "ain't no" mean?