"African-American"

Does anyone else find this term cringey?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/B2v4rWyCEeE?t=30
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You already know the answer is yes. Stop asking dumb questions.

"Just call them niggers!"

Then why do people insist on using it? Is it passive aggression?

NAH.

I don't know too many black people, but none that I do actually use the term.

Than why do white people love to use it so much? It is literally carved into stone, and is used in academia and government.

Only if ignorant fuckwits apply it to Africans that don't have anything to do with America.

Also everyone forgets about Africa north of the Sahara all the time, but that's an entirely different issue.

Because they think they know whats best for black people and often times like to speak on their behalf.

Elon Musk is african american

Yes, but European American is more

Actual answer: After the Civil Rights movement, Negro and Colored fell out of use and were seen as outdated, and somewhat offensive terms to refer to black people. African American became introduced as a term to ostensibly put black people on the same footing as whites and Latinos, who had been referring to themselves as various kinds of hyphenated-American for decades. It got adopted pretty quickly because it seemed to work and no one at the time realized how stupid, inaccurate, and patronizing it was. The black community is mostly split about its usage now (at least among people I've known); older people who grew up around and shortly after Civil Rights like it as something they had to fight for, and most younger people don't give a fuck and would rather just be called black.

Isn't it weird how libcucks worked so hard to deconstruct the american identity that was composed of the old guard wasps and germans and then turn around and reaffirm it with shit like "African American" or "asian american" implying that only white people are "real" americans?

Makes you think.

Ahh yes boomer. The dumbest generation ever. Blame it on the post war wealth they inherited and subsequently squandered.

she can get COLONIZED tbqhl

SJWs are undercover white supremacist, but are far more insidious because they are masters of passive aggression.

If only a campaign to end its usage could catch on.

youtu.be/B2v4rWyCEeE?t=30

Linguistically speaking I find the term "Native American" much cringier. Anyone born in the US should be considered a "Native American." African-American isn't bad a term as it accurately describes a group of people who hail from the African continent.

this

It's weird. Treating all Europeans as "White people" is an anachronism in the US. Yet it fits the liberal narrative that all Europeans are evil and cultureless so the role with it.

No.

But they are also part European and are uniquely American due to ethnogenesis. They have no other connection to any other country so they hail from America 100%

David Duke calls them European Americans

Unless you can trace your ancestry before 1492 to these lands, then no you are not native. You're either European, Asian or African squatters.

When you going back to Siberia, bruh?

What if you're a literal product of American history like so called "African-Americans" and therefore intrinsically tied to the place.

>But they are also part European
So? I'm part West Asian but still identify as European and resemble one.
>uniquely American due to ethnogenesis
I agree.

>American

More like United Statian

t. el Gordo

I prefer the term niggers, African American sounds too fancy for these human pieces of shit.

Not really. Firstly, it wasn't liberals who deconstructed it. The old WASP guard is still intact, as Trump shows. Secondly, non-white identity in the US has always been in opposition to the dominance of WASPs and other whites, thanks to the existence of institutions like slavery, Jim Crow and all the rest. Thirdly, I think the point of "African American" is to denote that they were taken from Africa to America against their will, and thus have never really been considered part of America by the elites, only as tools for producing wealth.

Natives are not indigenous to SIberia, this is like saying Europeans in Europe aren't indigenous to the lands, but should go back to Africa (since all Europeans came from there). In fact, you can even say Europe belongs to Africans.

>Natives are not indigenous to SIberia
Yes they are.
>this is like saying Europeans in Europe aren't indigenous to the lands, but should go back to Africa
Not really. Amerindians could have stayed in Siberia after leaving Africa too. It'd be more like saying Amerindians should go back to Africa because that's where they came from before going to Siberia and then going to America
>In fact, you can even say Europe belongs to Africans.
The logic doesn't follow.

>In fact, you can even say Europe belongs to Africans.
You could also say America belongs to Africans.

>Yes they are.
No they aren't
>Not really. Amerindians could have stayed in Siberia after leaving Africa too. It'd be more like saying Amerindians should go back to Africa because that's where they came from before going to Siberia and then going to America
Americans were already here, they didn't come from Africa.
>The logic doesn't follow.
Yes it does.

She already did by the looks of it, she looks half white.

She's not half white.

time to go learn how to argue, user

>American race politics.

I'm not saying that the lands weren't rightfully of the natives but why do Americans talk like there's some kind of magic power binding geography to people? Natives came from somewhere else too.

How do you know? I know plenty of mulattoes that look like her.

>Americans were already here, they didn't come from Africa.

Would you say the same about European land belonging to Europeans?

I accept that Europeans came from somewhere else. I don't want aliens in Europe because of more sane, rational reasons like competition for resources.

That's Megan Goode, she has the standard admixture of the average black American

>Le all blacks look like Leslie jones meme

Leave Veeky Forums sometime.

Yes.

>After the Civil Rights movement, Negro and Colored fell out of use and were seen as outdated, and somewhat offensive terms to refer to black people. African American became introduced

Actually, "Afro-American" was initially the preferred term but that fairly quickly became "African-American" but as an user mentioned up-thread, pretty much only the government and academia use that term, with most Blacks and other ethnicities simply using "Black".

Afro-American and African American mean the same thing. It's like how you have the Franco-Prussian War but could easily call it the French-Prussian War.

>Europe aren't indigenous to the lands, but should go back to Africa (since all Europeans came from there).

Politically correct academic propaganda.

I laughed at some nigger retard saying Boers immigrating to America cannot be called African-Americans, despite literally being born IN AFRICA and the term should be reserved for people who haven't been to Africa in their last 10 generations.

>Afro-American and African American mean the same thing.

I know, I'm just pointing out what was being said back in the day.

I'm 49 years old and remember when "Afro-American" was still being used.

Where to near easterners fit into that graph? I guess Indians can be considered mixes of Asians, Australians and Europeans.

Anytime I hear the term African American it reminds me of the time in an economics lecture when one of the other students brought up the rapper Akon and how he put up all those solar panels in Africa. He kept referring to native Africans as African Americans ahhhh to be an undergraduate again....

The fact they didn't just call them Africans if they were uncomfortable with calling them Black just goes to show how brain dead Western Society has become.

We should just call all Sub-Saharan Africans, Africans.

I hate how people think that Berbers and Copts are Negroid.

In fairness there is alot of mixing in those regions.

Funny how much of American culture known outside comes from "Africans": Jazz, Blues, Rock, Rap
and American sports are dominated by "Africans"

Not really. You're talking Far North Africa.

>Funny how much of American culture known outside comes from "Africans": Jazz, Blues, Rock, Rap

All are derivative of Euro-American folk music.

>shit culture is created by shit people
Shocking.

>In fairness there is alot of mixing in those regions.

So what? All genres come from something else.

Don't bother arguing with Americans. Americans are brainwashed into thinking that if you're not 100% white then you must be black, they're literally incapable of separating the concept of Africa from niggers.

American cultural exports use to be much more White. In any case the sports themselves are White constructs even if Blacks play them and imo rock music is just as White as it is Black if not more so even if it derives a large part of it's origin to blues.

Like Germans are entirely separate from Angelo's right with no intermixing? It's about the same difference, you just don't want it to be true. Also copts are right next to Ethiopia

>We wuz slaves n shit Makin songs that the Africans stole from us along with these genres that were almost exclusively African american

A Russian is genetically much closer to a Spaniard than an Egyptian is to a Sudanese.

There must be a massive wall between Egypt and Sudan, or are they sexually incompatible?

I was cringing the entire time. Universities are literally just diploma mills at this point. If it wasn't for the fact that my occupation requires higher educational in order to move up id stick to self learning entirely.

People prefer their ingroup in most instances. Copts are true Egyptians aren't negroid in any meaningful sense besides perhaps some marginal DNA that would American-tier to judge them by.

Sadat looked like a swarthy Semite, actually black Sudanese look like this. You'd have to be blind to think they are even remotely similar.

This, Copts don't look black or even semi-black, they are textbook Near Esterners. Some of them could even pass fro Greeks or Italians.

Poor people tend not to be choosey about who they breed with. Sudanese come in all shades and all levels of admixture, similar to Egyptians.

Copts are about as Egyptian as boers are African.

Those people look nothing like the Egyptian statues who have big ass lips and bulbous nose.

So, fully?

>Don't bother arguing with Americans.

I'm (Polish) American.

>muh statues
Nobody gives a fuck, they also depicted people with bird and dog heads. Now here's an actual preserved body of an Egyptian king.

That's a shitty argument and you know it.

The what of it is that Blacks have no special claim to american music and the only thing they really contribute to is the violent crime percentages.

have we gotten to the point where every non-Black african isn't a true african? Are Berbers not true Africans either?

America has an odd culture of assimilation. Despite, or maybe as a result of, priding ourselves on ignoring racial, ethnic, national ties to identify ourselves singularly as common Americans, we put focus on these origins. One part to celebrate or keep in touch with one's roots, one part to highlight the fact that, despite these roots, we are still willing and proud to put them aside and identify ourselves as Americans. Race relations are odd here.

You can't be that dumb. Name one fucking genre that wasn't inspired by some previous genre. The fact that you build on top of something else doesn't take away the credit of your creation. You know this. Stop being dishonest.

> > All are derivative of Euro-American folk music.
> So what? All genres come from something else.

Because it’s common for politically correct morons to insist that Jazz, Blues and Rock are “Black” music, even going so far as to claim those genres are directly derived from ancient native African music, as if Black-Americans who had been here hundreds of years, somehow have a kinda genetic memory of Mother Africa.

>muh statues

Berbers are mixed, and are indigenous.

Boers are recent immigrants

Copts came through Christian invasion.

Yes but it's white Americans that perpetuate it because they see the word black and the associations of black negatively.

There is no room in this nation for hyphenated Americansim.

-Teddy Roosevelt

No genetic memory, but some similar tastes

>thick women
>gaudy jewelry

>Copts came through Christian invasion.
They were native converts to the faith. Also Boers were settlers, not immigrants.

Protodynastic to First Intermediate Period (

HERE WE CAN SEE AN ANCIENT EGYPTIAN DEPICTION OF A PERSON WITH A BIRD'S HEAD. THIS PROVES THAT EGYPTIANS WERE, WITHOUT QUESTION, ACTUALLY BIRDS.

HUMANS BTFO

I'm sure that in 1 bazillion years of Egypt existence the pharaohs didn't mix with outsiders.

Comparing the depiction of a god to the depiction of a pharaoh, nice. Why would they give bulbous nose and big lips to the pharaohs if they didn't have it?

Well clearly America had no problem creating policies to fuck over Mexican, Chinese and Black Americans with or without a hyphen soooo....

the academic term is "American Indian"

Native American is outdated not even the Injins like it

The point is, there is nothing "African" about Jazz, Blues and Rock.

If we apply your logic to other things it would lead to absurd things.
For example: How much of Europeans mathematician working with hindu-arabic numbers instead of roman numerals take away from their credit?
The name Algebra even comes from the arabic al-jabr by a book from Al-khwarizmi
>His systematic approach to solving linear and quadratic equations led to algebra, a word derived from the title of his 830 book on the subject, "The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing".

On the Calculation with Hindu Numerals written about 825, was principally responsible for spreading the Hindu–Arabic numeral system throughout the Middle East and Europe. It was translated into Latin as Algoritmi de numero Indorum. Al-Khwārizmī, rendered as (Latin) Algoritmi, led to the term "algorithm".

When you work with algebra anything that you find out is Arab?