Tell me about Sassanid Empire

Tell me about Sassanid Empire.

Dumb assholes who got what they deserved.

I want a general discussion, not Muslim diatribes about why Arab imperialism was a work of God.

Nah I'm just a triggered Romaboo.

Overrated desu

I hate it when diaspora shitter thinks that their irrelevant horsefucker empire is comparable to greats like rome and han empire

Cooler than Parthia, and died.

They were pretty fucking bad-ass.

Uh did literally nothing except playing war with Byzantines then got raped by the arabs?

>Government more centralized than the Parthians
>Overthrew the Parthians and initiated what is considered a revival of Iranian culture, after the reign of the heavily Greek-influenced Parthians
>Khosrow II, Shahanshan, launched the last of several wars against the Roman Empire, taxing his populace into poverty and generally devastating the region, paving the way for the Muslim conquests
>Its government models become a critical influence on the Caliphate, (under Umar)
>Last major Zoroastrian Empire

They lasted almost 5 centuries. Were Rome and Byzantine Empire's greatest rivals until the Arabs/Islamic Caliphate showed up when both powers were not recovered from their last final war and plague hit both empires.

Sassanids were a feudalistic but highly centralized society stratified with castes with the most common being the freemen of Aryan/Iranian descent. They had a huge interest in blending Greco-Roman philosophy with Iranian beliefs and Hindu/Indian philosophy, see the Academy of Gondishapur for example.

They were really cool.

>did literally nothing
Academy of Gondishapur
Passing on chess and backgammon between Asia and Europe
Created dams
Part of the main reason why mosaics and frescoes were brought back into the vogue for art style at the time

>They lasted almost 5 centuries.
>the last imperial dynasty in Persia (Iran) before the rise of Islam, ruled by and named after the Sasanian dynasty from 224 to 651
Close I guess

Their governance was basically the model for all Middle Eastern states that came afterwords.

The Sassanid family can be historically attested minimum to 180 AD though.

Just speaking honestly if I was some dirt farmer in Persia or Judea in the 7th century I would assume that Muslims were supported by god.
>A bunch of puny desert tribes united by a prophet
>Destroy the Sassanid Empire
>Cripple the Eastern Roman Empire and besiege Constantinople
>Eventually conquer the Visigoths
>Building the largest empire in human history up to that point by a large margin
>All in a little over a century
Just saying the Islamic expansion was really fucking impressive.

On topic anyway I am kind of sad that Persian warfare essentially died with the Sassanid dynasty, cataphracts and similar heavy cavalry forces were impressive in a way the Arab and Turkish methods of warfare never really were.

one of the few empires with "ass" in its name
truly based, just like the Assyrians

Well yeah. A lot of people didn't really identify deeply with their faith - even if it was the first of modern religion that emphasized personal experience, in practice it was pretty meh. Islam was possibly expected to be the same, so why not accept it? It didn't really seem to be all that much different to a layman, especially since the first non-Arab Muslim and the author of a lot of early theology was a Persian Zoroastrian ex-priest.

And the Sassanids were somewhat disliked for their tax policies instituted by Khosrau Anushirvan, which strained the kingdom especially during the great war against the Byzantines. The growing decentralization of the country and numerous civil wars meant that some local governors and commanders simply chose to throw their lot in with the Arabs. While people like Rostam Farrokhzad are celebrated for their resistance, they're pretty much exceptions.

>Just saying the Islamic expansion was really fucking impressive.
Yeah but you have to remember there are a multitude of factors that helped the Islamic Caliphate capitalize their success.

>Byzantine-Sassanid War of 602-629 AD
>Seven years of plague in the western half of the Sassanid Empire kills over half of the population
>Severe drought, flooding of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers also destroy vital croplands and famine sets in further worsening the situation
>On top of all of this, there is a civil war going on between the Pawlangi and Pahlavi factions dividing House Sasan and the Seven Houses of Parthia for claimants to the throne

The Rashidun Caliphate used Persian cataphracts and heavy cavalry during the wars with the the Sassanid and Byzantine Empires. And they later modeled their own "Fars" cavalry off the Persian model.

Khosrau I's tax reforms were a continuation of a number of administrative and economic reforms and policies that his father before him, Kavadh I, started. They were actually VERY popular because they diminished the lands and power of the higher ranking nobles and also created a lower class of "knights" in the Sassanid Empire who personally answered only to the Great King instead of the Seven Houses or members of the Wuzurgan.

>Yeah but you have to remember there are a multitude of factors that helped the Islamic Caliphate capitalize their success.
True but it was still impressive. If anything else that could be used to further affirm the idea that god helped early Islam, telling Muhammad his word at the perfect time to build an empire. My main point however was that as a commoner Islam was extremely impressive in its power and growth and if any religion could claim to have god on their side at the time of the rise of Islam, Islam has a really good case.

It would've been welcome until those same peasants and commoners who thought they were liberated by the Arabs suddenly found themselves taxed for not being Muslims, or being Christians, Zoroastrians, Jews, or any other denomination that didn't fall under the Caliphate's orthodoxy. Obviously the same situation didn't repeat itself with the early Caliphate because they were fresh and not militarily exhausted unlike the Romans/Byzantines and the Persians.

E N T I R E
N
T
I
R
E

>Yeah but you have to remember there are a multitude of factors that helped the Islamic Caliphate capitalize their success.
You mean like every conquest barring Mongolian?

>mfw these neo-Persians decide to emulate the Achaemenid Empire instead of consolidating the Iranian plateau and Central Asia
For fuck's sake, the Parthians and the Sassanians got wealthy beyond measure thanks to their role as middlemen in the Silk Road. They should've just accepted the status quo with Byzantium instead of waste men and treasure on wasteful campaigning. Fuck Khosrow I. If that dude hadn't dreamed of becoming another Darius, the Byzantines and Sassanians would've curbstomped Islam in its infancy when the Arabs broke out of the desert. They deserved what happened to them.

delete this immediately

Reading about the Muslim conquest of Persia just makes my head hurt. The Sassanians had ONE fucking job and they blew it big time. They should've coordinated their attacks with Heraclius, but didn't.

It hurts

khalid ibn al walid

more like khalid ibn al BULL

sasanians were cucks

I mean that people often inflate the success of the Arabs and downplay how weakened the two empires were, Justinian's Plague reasserting itself in parts of the Byzantine and Sassanid Empires, rampant civil war within House Sasan and the Royal Houses of Parthia, etc...are huge factors.

>tfw dune was based on real historical event

>inflate
You couldn't inflate the Muslims' victories if you tried.

>downplay
This much is true.

>Were Rome and Byzantine Empire's greatest rivals

They were not Rome's rivals, they were more like a border nuisance. The only rivals Rome had was Carthage and its political system.

They were sassy.

Wrong.

wtf are you talking about, the punic wars were long before the Roman Empire you dipshit

...how

They had SASS

Le tricky arab light cavalry man face

Between all the empires with 'ass' in their names, are the sassanids the best?

motherFUCKer

>yfw Iranian Intermezzo destroyed the last native Arab Caliphate's power for good

Wrong? When was the Sassanid Empire or Parthia for that matter, ever a threat to Rome? How can they be rivals of Rome when they were of no threat to Rome?

Learn to read, you autistic faggot. When did I say "The Roman Empire"?

To the victor the spoils

they definitely were a threat after the fall of the west and even held Egypt for a time

They were a relative threat to the eastern part of the Empire, but never to Rome as a whole. You can call them a rival to the Byzantine Empire, but even the Byzantine Empire managed to defeat them and pretty much caused to the fall of the dynasty and the conquest of Persia by the Caliphate.

You don't have to be a threat to someone directly to be their rival. They rivalled in the Mesopotamia, Armenia and the Levant - both of them wanted those regions, but were opposed by the other side.

Then you have the fact that the Sassanids have indeed laid siege to Constantinople in 626, so they were a direct threat as well.

Also, the Parthian and Sassanian rulers were the only rulers considered by the Roman their equals, which is evidenced many times by the titulature used in letters, and the fact that several Roman emperors met with shahanshahs personally on equal terms to negotiate, including Hadrian.

That's Walaja, not Ullais - a completely separate battle (although the Sassanids were similarly utterly humiliated).

Why are you changing the goal posts? You said they were never "rivals" without defining what a rival was, then your next post you claim it solely exists from the capacity to threaten Rome/Byzantine's existence? Because there was no central power between Rome/Byzantine that was a direct long-lasting threat, economic and political rival, and counter-balance to their authority besides the Arsacid (Parthian Empire) dynasty and Sassanid (Persian Empire) for nearly a thousand years.

lol Perseboos are pathetic trying to defend their second rate empires

You forgot to mention Christians persecuted by the Byzantine Church threw their lot in with the Muslims.

>second rate empire
>lasted nearly a thousand years continuously stemming from the rise of the Arsacid dynasty to the fall of the Sassanid dynasty
Weak bait.

>longevity is the metric by which we measure the success and impact of empires/anything

wew Khomeini lad

>my metric is more important your metric
Longevity is one of the prime factors, Abdullah.