Would a British or Irish medieval peasent know they lived on a giant Island?

I'm trying to figure out how ignorant they actually were.

uh, yes? you know "medieval" means like 1100 AD right? they had boats

Only simple fishing boats that couldn't stray very far from the coast.

Yes? Even Mesolithic Irish knew they lived on an island wtf?

NO STOP IT GUYS

It's true, at that point they couldn't even reach Corsica.

dude they could reach fucking Iceland

i think they would figure out that the tall blonde assholes with axes on boats had to be coming from somewhere else

And then promptly booted them back to their frozen shithole

A guy next to the coast of France would be thinking the same thing.

>Iceland

Dude, do you know how hard it is to sail a boat without modern GPS? For someone to sail to Iceland in a primitive medieval boat would probably take a full on century, even if they knew where they were going, due to their inability to navigate the sea, let alone something as vast as the Atlantic Ocean.

Who is Leif Erikson?

basque whalers did it all the time
as for navigation, you just followed the fucking whales route

Have you never fucking looked up?

>inability to navigate the sea
>I don't know what stars are
Please tell me this is bait.

I recognize this shitpost.

Have you made this thread specifically to recapture ebin memes of that thread?

Thank you for this bait, it takes me back to the glory days of Veeky Forums

I live on an island?

Technically we all live on islands

Lel golden oldie

>dude they could reach fucking Iceland

But who is "they?" OP doesn't ask if ANYONE knew they were on an island, he asked if a random peasant would. And I'm guessing the answer is no. It's weird to think about, but the vast majority of people wouldn't know what a map was.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. What kind of understanding of world geography would, say, a baker have?

I assume you retards have never taken a boat.

Do you have the slightest idea of how actually BIG the sea is?
Do you think medieval fucking retards who couldn't even read could do such a travel?

It would take years perhaps even decades to go from Sicily to Sardinia and the ship could break at any time and in that case, woops, you're dead.

Even if they knew about the island from Roman times no body in their right times would have gone there risking so much.

Medieval fuckers couldn't read, get this through your head, their intelligence level was so fucking low that they couldn't read, perform an action as simple as reading, how the fuck do you think that they could travel the fucking open (not coastal) the OPEN sea with a fucking shitty wooden boat, oh yeah this is the middle ages, no telescope, no nothing, only sea for hundreds of miles, only fucking sea, even in modern times you need experts on the ships to sail through the sea hence why the airplane was invented and we use it instead of ships.

Going through the sea requires deep knowledge of mathematics, physics, geometry, something medieval people did NOT fucking have before the renaissance/age of discovery.

The probably knew they were in an island, even if they never got to see the ocean

Yes. By 1100 Irish and British new they were on isles.

The majority of peasants knew only what priests and various well to do commoners told them. Facts would become distorted and they probably wouldn't fully understand what the sea is if they didn't live near it or the distances involved when they were told about Jerusalem and other lands.

GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS
This is bait. Remember that thread where some retard thought no one lived in Sardinia because no one would be able to sail to it? Same shit, I think it's even the same words

Would the priests know what they were talking about, mentioning Jerusalem for example?

Wrong by definition.

They theoretically could but it would take years, even decades to reach it by boat.

Tell us more about how Ireland managed to raid and significantly influence the genetic makeup of Scotland and parts of England during the dark ages when they only had simple fishing boats.

This has to be bait.

I do believe that would be quite easily known...

how did this meme go again? I remember seeing the original thread but never saved it

ireland rushed optics