Vanguard

Haven't been here in a while. I remember Vanguard used to be the most common recommendation for hands off investment. I have about $3,000 saved up for investing, is a Vanguard mutual fund still the most effective way to grow that money? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/histretSP.html
bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:Bogleheads®_investment_philosophy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Basically yes. I think Schwab's equivalent mutual funds have lower expense ratios now, but the two of them and Fidelity are in the middle of a price war so maybe this'll change in the next months.

What the fuck? Buy 1 Bitcoin with that money and forget it for a year. Unless you really want that 7% yearly return

Ok I'll take a look at my options. Thank you! I'm planning on putting a % of my wages into the fund each paycheck, will either of those mutual funds handle that better?

Yes. I use schwab and they have an auto invest option for mutual funds. I'm sure vanguard and fidelity have them also

Cool, thank you guys!

You're fucking kidding, right?

Nope, why would you think that?

Dude you're fucking insane. How are these people still considering these shit portfolios when they know about crypto

If you just purchase US index, downturn in the economy will fuck you up.

Hi OP

I recommend buying vanguard ETFs. You get the same expense ratio as the admiral fund.

If you aren't following the Veeky Forums meme, it is better to make a consistent percent gain than gamble your future on meme coins.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
I feel like it's one of the safer investments I could make, definitely safer than any cryptocurrency BS. Hasn't there only been like 3 years where index funds made a loss?

>Hasn't there only been like 3 years where index funds made a loss?
more than three, my man. pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/New_Home_Page/datafile/histretSP.html (look in S&P 500 column). however i agree it's a much better choice than crypto.

with index funds, you are owning parts of a company who pay you back via buybacks and dividends that come from their profits, which come from normies buying stuff.

with crypto, you are holding a store of value, and nothing else. the only reason you would get more money after selling would be if you're on the right side of the ponzi pyramid.

Interesting. This is a longterm thing for me, I'm only 19 now and trying to achieve financial freedom later in life through investments and savings so I'm not super worried about short term losses. Thanks for the info though.

this is excellent. i really wish i started at 19.

39 DUK @ $78 = $3,042
Dividend: $3.56 x 39 = $138.84 per quarter

Gotta wait until November to get it sub $80 though.

Gonna pass respectfully

As always, I'd recommend going through the following:
bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:Bogleheads®_investment_philosophy

Don't put money into volatile investments until you have at least 6 months of expenses saved as an emergency fund. For this purpose I'd recommend a high yielding savings account like GSBank or CIT Bank. You will still lose money to inflation, but at about half the rate compared to shit savings accounts at brick-and-mortar banks.

Which mutual fund you'll want depends on your timeline. Check out Vanguard's LifeStrategy funds. Do you intend to buy a car with the funds in 5 years or less? I'd recommend VASIX, which has 80% bonds 20% stocks. For a longer timeline, increase the percentage of stocks: VASGX has 80% stocks 20% bonds. For retirement specifically, there are target retirement funds which slowly change their asset allocation to bonds to coincide with your expected date of retirement.

The nice thing about mutual funds is that, in the immortal words of Ron Popeil, you can just set it and forget it. For retirement, just calculate 10% of your gross income and have it transferred weekly.

Only if you sell. Market corrections let you buy stock for cheap.

>cryptocurrency BS

Banned.

Can't tell if these idiots bringing up cryptos are trolling or actually retarded

I'm still a college students with a lot of support from my parents. I just got a job so I wanted to put a portion of my paycheck into the investment and the other portion into my emergency fund. If I ever did have an emergency my parents would cover me.

My goal is to one day live off the earnings from my investments. This is a very longterm investment.

Basically I just want a starting investment that is somewhat safe but will grow faster than inflation and I can contribute to with each paycheck. I'll start diversifying once I get a real non minimum wage job.

Open a Roth IRA then. You won't be able to withdraw without penalty until age 59½, but I doubt you'll accrue the necessary $1M-$2M to achieve financial independence before then for this to matter.

Sheltering your investments in a tax-advantaged account like an IRA has a huge impact in the long run, as you will not be levied capital gains or dividend taxes.

Ok I'll look into it. Thank you.

this
only scrubs dont max their roth.
taxes are likely to be higher in the future no matter where you are

Looks like they just introduced the target date for 2065: VLXVX. If I were you, I'd put $2,000 into there (within a Roth IRA), set it to contribute $50/week, and forget it. Put away the other $1,000 for a rain day, unless you haven't already.
Note that you can contribute up to $5,500/yr into your Roth IRA.

What do you mean by the target date? Does that mean that I wouldn't be able to withdraw the money fee free for 48 years?

>with crypto, you are holding a store of value, and nothing else

Retard. Stay a nocoiner.

I own VTSAX, you need 10K to buy in though

It's funny. I checked out Veeky Forums back when it came out just to see what the deal was, and it was mostly about asset management and building competitive skillsets with maybe 20% crypto threads. Now I check back to see how people are responding to recent volatility and it's all 'WHY ARENT YOU BUYING [SHITCOIN], SELL ETH NOW, NICE BOUGHT 100K, HODL TO LE MOON!'

I get that things have exploded since that time, but the get rich quick memers it brought with it have lowered this board's IQ by 30 points.

Target date is the date the fund uses to set their so-called "glide path," which determines how the asset allocation changes from 90% stocks/10% bonds into mostly bonds.

No matter what fund you select, if you withdraw from a retirement account (IRA, Roth IRA, 401(k), Roth 401(k), 403(b), etc.) before age 59½ you will incur a 10% penalty on earnings, in addition to having to pay income tax. This is because you had been avoiding paying dividend and capital gains taxes the whole time, but by withdrawing early, you defeat the intended purpose of a retirement account, and thus Uncle Sam wants his due money. (Note that there are several exceptions to this 10% penalty: if you become disabled; for certain education expenses; also, you can withdraw $10,000 one time in your life to fund a home payment).

If you're 19, you will be able to withdraw your tax-advantaged funds in 40 years.

If you end up making enough money to seriously consider early retirement, you would have easily maxed out your IRA (and 401(k)) contributions and have only then stuck the rest in taxable accounts.

You can buy single shares of the ETF VTI, though.
Though you can't set up automatic transfers, which is a bit of a bummer.

Ok thanks so much. I'll try and figure out the rest on my own.

Like I said earlier, I'd highly recommend checking out the Bogleheads wiki. Just breeze through a few videos: bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:Bogleheads®_investment_philosophy

It doesn't really take all that much time or effort to just get your accounts set up and on auto-pilot. Just by getting started and building good wealth-building habits now, you'll be light-years ahead of your peers in only a few years time. Whereas many of your peers will be living paycheck to paycheck, you'll be well on your way to financial freedom.

Good luck.