Roosia annexed Ukraine in March 2014

Roosia annexed Ukraine in March 2014.

Before that, historically what was the last country to be annexed? Isnt annexation basically unheard of in the modern era?

>>Roosia annexed [Crimea] in March 2014.
ftfy

Before that... Kuwait? Golan Heights? Not like any modern annexation lasts once world police gets involved

Golan Heights, Sinai, East Timor, South Vietnam, Falklands etc.

>Crimea
Thats what i meant, thanks

Post WW2:

Hyderabad, Timor-Leste, Kuwait and the only three I can think of in the modern era. Only Hyderabad was annexed for good, though.

Also South Vietnam

>coming soon to a theater (of war) near you
north aleppo province to turkey
more of golan heights to isreal
kurdistan

and Spratly Islands

And Tibet.

Namibia (not quite sure, it was a south african invasion) and Western Sahara

>Roosia annexed Ukraine
I want Ameriblobs to leave

That happened during WWI, plenty of annexations since then.

Tibet's status was hazy as fuck considering the Republic of China and many states of the word didn't recognize it. Only Britain, Japan, and Russiancucked Mongolia ever did.

As far as everyone was concerned, it was one of the warlords divvying up the Republic of China.

Goa, from Portugal to India.

China also annexed some disputed territory after the Indians kept provoking/attacking them and the PLA got annoyed and shoved a boot up their ass.

Does it have to be successful annexations?

Because Argentina and Iraq both tried it and got rekt

Hong Kong sort of counts

>Argentina
When and whom? I'm pretty sure Argentina has respected Uruguayan independence, and the one time they fought Paraguay they (along with Brazil and Uruguay) rekt them so thoroughly that they haven't recovered to this day.

Argentina tried to take the Falklands, South Georgia, and the South Sandwich Isles from the UK.
It didn't go well.

Oh, of course. For some reason I thought you were talking about relevant clay.

I'm not the guy you replied to.
And Uruguay isn't relevant clay.

Tibet doesn't really count, it was a part of China under the Qing Dynasty and its brief "independence" wasn't treated much differently from all the other "independent" warlord territories created by the fragmentation of the Republic after Yuan Shikai fucked it all up.

Control of the River Plate was important until the Panama Canal.

Russia just can't stop being evil in every century

a bloomin' shame

South Ossetia and Abkhazia were annexed de facto by Russia.

No, they didn't

>t. Wong

It's spent far more time independent than under Chinese rule over the course of its history, it's highly culturally distinct from China, and it's not like they were happy with it for the ~100 odd years the Qing had control over the place. It was reconquered after enjoying a brief period of freedom.

You meant "weren't", Boris.

>every century
>literally only the "bad" guy (the worst of two evils) for half of last century.

RSK

>literally only the "bad" guy (the worst of two evils) for half of last century
>half of last century

user...

West Germany annexed East Germany

We'll provbably see Northern Ireland technically "annexed" by the Republic of Ireland, if that's the term.

Is there a different term for one country willfully undoing itself to become part of another?

I think the phrase you are looking for is "Northern Ireland joining the Republic of Ireland".
Also only the most far gone Brusselcucks believe the UK will dissolve in our lifetime.

Iirc Switzerland accidentally annexed a part of Liechtenstein briefly when their army was doing routines and wandered onto the other country's territory.

Albania annexed Kosovo in 2021.
And in 2026 Albania annexed the north-western part of FYROM after a referendum there.

This. Tibet's relationship to China was similar to Korea's; they acknowledged the cultural and political centrality of China, and paid tribute, but never accepted its rule.

perfidious swiss imperialism at its best

but that´s reunification, same as Vietnam

>m-muh neutrality
Just try turning your back on these niggers.

Yes, I'm sure all the Protestants will want to join the Republic of Ireland ( a weak economy) for some reason.
Makes total sense.
More likely to see Eire rejoining the UK

GDR was probably latest annexation that wasn't reverted.

The Republic is wealthier than Northern Ireland and has been for decades, even given the economic crisis last decade.

There's no serious plan for reunification, it's just some scenario people are now offering in the event that Brexit is a total trainwreck.

The reality is that EU membership basically put the question of Irish reunification to bed; there's an open border, Northern Irish can apply for a RoI visa if they want. As far as everyday life goes, it's practically unified, and there's a real desire on the part of the UK and RoI governments not to let Brexit fuck things up.

East German voters overwhelmingly elected to join the Federal Republic. It was no annexation.

>The Republic is wealthier than Northern Ireland and has been for decades
well the population is 3 times larger and it doesn't have a minority that was bombing it every day for years
even if brexit is a disaster britain will still be wealthier than Ireland

Russia never was evil
It was only portrayed evil

Wanting to be annexed is still annexation. Anschluss wasn't annexation by your standard.

Per capita GDP is higher in the Republic of Ireland than the UK overall, and Northern Ireland in particular.

Of course the UK is wealthier than Ireland; it's population is over 10 times larger, but Ireland is one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

Crimea was a part of Russian Federative Republic until 1954 when it was given to Ukraine by Kruschev. So for Russia the case is also reunification. Technically if sides are not equal then their reunification is also an annexation. And the reunification of Germany was not equal.