Nation-states were a mistake. Bring back the city-states

Nation-states were a mistake. Bring back the city-states.

Just city states or shall we go full HRE?

We should have free cities within benevolent empires like in the old days.

Fuck yes.

>It's a "everyone forgets the Italian states were irrelevant and powerless before unification and Italy now has an economy larger than Russia" thread

but i liek all the cool flags xD

Venice was a mistake.

>benevolent

I'm not sure you and I are thinking of the same days.

independence should be granted to any group of people that want it
I know I would want to live in a city-state

>irrelevant city states that start a Renaissance and change the world

The Renaissance was 300 years ago by the time unification happened. Italy had been a powerless prize passed around for hundreds of years by then. Unification allowed them some measure of relevance.

Oddly enough, I live in in a city state.

Same here if DC counts

Which one?

DC is the opposite of a city state... A city state would have total independence, DC doesn't even have representation

Zurich

Confederacy is still a nation-state tho

Zürich isn't a city-state. The remaining city-states of the world are Singapore, Andorra, Monaco, and Vatican; arguably Hong Kong, Macao, and Gibraltar could be considered such as well. Of these Singapore and Hong Kong are the only ones that matter.

Singapore is the only true city state left.

I unironically want this/would support as a political goal.

>own troops
>own taxes
>more sovereignty rights and autonomy than a US state or German Bundesland.
>could leave confederation whenever they wanted to
>600 years of history being an actual city state

maybe it is not cigar, but it is pretty damn close, gotta give me that.

P.S. a federation is not a nation state in the classical sense.

YOU ARE TOTALLY FUCKING RIGHT. IF WE ARE GOING TO DESTROY COUNTRIES LIKE ITALY AND BRING BACK Le ebin CITY-STATES, WE SHOULD JUST FUCK PLACES LIKE EGYPT AND MAKE IT SO THAT IT'S DIVIDED AND THERE IS ONE CAVE BASED NATION BECAUSE IT INVENTED FIRE. MODERN GEOPLOTICS ARE FOR FUCKING IDIOTS AND WE SHOULD JUST OGLE IN OAST STUFF AND MIMIC IT FOR LITERALLY NO FUCKING REASON.

>now has an economy larger than Russia

That's more about how shitty Russia is, to be fair. I don't think Italy's GDP per capita relative to the rest of Europe has increased since unification.

Nation states are hardly a thing anymore. It's more like economic-blocs, corporate entities, financial institutions, and consumer groups. Nation states are only a facade at this point.