Is Wikipedia a reliable source to learn about history?

Is Wikipedia a reliable source to learn about history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy
britannica.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes

Yes[4][5]

It's a decent place to start, but once you find things that interest you then you should go to a library and start reading books on it.

might as well most sources even though credible will probably be attacked anyway due to "muh bias" and "muh elitism"

wonder why Veeky Forums doesn't make it's own site on the summery of history of this or that country?

We should do this.

the people who make edits to the articles on wikipedia that don't get deleted in five minutes probably know more about history than the average Veeky Forums-fag

no, read the Talk section on any controversial historical page and see the dumbasses that edit stuff. I once found a literal wewuzzer with an ankh profile picture and everything who did nothing but edit pages concerning black history.

On a superficial level, yes. After a while it becomes easy to just take parts of an article and disregard the "and then there was a battle and it was awesome"-tier shit that some people add to the pages.

Because it would be like 1d4chan but not funny.

That's just the countryball wiki

I don't know, I like the transparency seeing editing histories, and there are always [Citation needed] everywhere in those types of articles.

It's a good starting off point.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy
judge for yourself

if you are american yes

Go on wikipedia, read a bit on subject, find books about it.
Wikipedia is like that one time your dad let you drive his car in a parking lot on a sunday afteroon, it won't teach you how to drive but it's still something

It can give you the basic facts, but history tends to have a lot of different perspectives on a single issue, and then you start verging into historiography.

depends on the article writers it attracts, with the more obscure facts and niche areas it can give you a quick rundown, with pophis it will be full of memes, if you go into the edit section you will find some meme being changing only for it to be changed back a second later by a neurotic nerd with an obsession with it who whines and bitches to the mods to get the article locked and anyone who disagrees banned

>wonder why Veeky Forums doesn't make it's own site on the summery of history of this or that country?
Because bibliographies exist

Somehow I feel I'd be a tad more autistic just by reading about that shit. That was the most pathetic shitstorm in internet history.

No.

britannica.com/

I concur

It's pretty basic but decent, yes. Obviously you should go and read some books if you want to properly know about a subject.

It would be shit, the average Veeky Forums poster knows virtually nothing while thinking they know far more than they actually do.

It would be horrible, uninformed, ideologically-driven opining mixed with pointless memes and cringe-inducing attempts at humour.

>Because bibliographies exist
By your logic, why are you here then? After all, as you say, bibliographies exist.