Why does Systems Admins make half as much as Software Developers?

Why does Systems Admins make half as much as Software Developers?

Memetics

Society arbitrarily decided that software developers were more valuable. The same way it decided on every other occupation ever.

It's fairly routine work. But that pay is consistent. Developers get paid a wild range, $200k+ for the hotshots on the west coast, $50k in bumfuck nowhere, Sys Admins are going to get a more consistent $70-120k throughout the US and it's more "trainable" whereas you're either naturally good or bad at development

maybe because there are more Pajeets in Systems Admin

Supply and demand

Sysadmins are essentially glorified help desk.

And I say this as a man who's career sysadmin.

because developers develop something

aloha pajeet. i look forward to you not helping me.

elo mai nem ish 'Kevin'. wut kin i doo fu yoo toodey?

ave u trrryde rebut mascheen?

i think it's because software devs produce a product while sysadmins just maintain a system, it's less impressive in the eyes of normies, especially during the time when no major system failures happen (i.e. most of the time)

i'm preheating the oven.

Wages are set by supply and demand. It's hard to hire a developer.

i knew not dis a werd ooveen?? kin u pls sey in hindi pls??

You have to be smart and talented to be a good developer, while sys admins just need to be knowledgable and competent

>talented
this is a meme right
"I wish i was good at Legos, but i don't have talent"

pretty sure that's between you and santa.

>all people will be exactly the same at a task after the same amount of practice
This is a meme right?

ITT guys who don't have talent enough to be devs so they now are sys admins.

Same shit as doctors and nurses, if you are a sys admin you are not different from that faggot that wanted to be a doctor but now is a nurse cleaning shit out of asses of old guys

who are you quoting

Most people will not be good programmers even after 30 years of practice. If that's not talent then what is.

sysadmins still develop, just not products for the company. They make programs and scripts to help make their job a piece of kek, while code monkeys never stop chasing bugs and management demands. its all about how hard you want to get fucked by corporate and for how much.
t. works four hours a week thanks to scripts, paid 70k

>sysadmin calling developers code monkeys
i wonder if nurses have similar names for doctors

Because doing actuall work like creating a program is worth more than just deleating your co workes clop folder for shits and giggles

Ys im talking to you andrew, i know sou lurk here you midged

Idk man, I'm a softeng and I am amazed by the shell magic some sysadmin can pull off.

Also, I'd suck at diagnosing network issues imo

It doesn't look trivial to me desu

How does scripts actually make your hours less? I'm assigned service calls at my work whenever a problem arises.

Desu

Fucking commie.

dev here. they are 2 completely different skill-sets. I'm not going to be a fag and claim sysadmins are retarded and on par with bar tenders and servers in terms of skill, but the fact of the matter is there's more people that can succeed in sysadmin work than in dev work. I personally would never survive though, it's not for me. most of us devs survive off bursts of creativity and then are sacks of shit for the next week. I'm personally as close as I've ever been to a mental break down right now because of job related stress. sysadmins don't really get that though.

this guy knows desu. you wouldn't ask a professional artist to build a hose. you'd end up with a funny colored tent made out of pillows.

>I'm personally as close as I've ever been to a mental break down right now because of job related stress

why any dev puts up with this without being paid mega money is beyond me

I grew up low-middle class, I still got a few years at a minimum of wage slaving ahead of me. but I'm 10-20 years younger than all my peers who are in the same job, so I got that going for me which is nice.

At first I thought that's a scottish accent. But then I laughed so hard

highly depends, a good sys admin gets more than a bad software dev

there are very competent sys admins out there which mostly comes through years of experience and loads of certificates like cisco shit, for example, there are only a handful of people which have a certain cisco certificate level in europe, they get a shitload of money for tweaking some networks a few hours

its generally needs more work and time to earn as much as a software dev

>not being developer and your own sysadmin at the same time

this desu senpai