Orthodox thread for discussions and questions. Christ is risen!

Orthodox thread for discussions and questions. Christ is risen!

>Utah Mormons and Protestants are rediscovering a reverence for God by converting to Orthodoxy.

>That certainly is the case for Sts. Peter and Paul Orthodox Christian Church in downtown Salt Lake City. The Rev. Justin Havens says the church, located in a former Jewish synagogue at 355 S. 300 East, had fewer than 100 worshippers when he became its priest nine years ago.

>"We have almost tripled in size since then," Havens says. "I would say 60 percent or more of our parish is made up of converts. About half of those are former LDS [Mormons], and the rest are former Protestants and evangelicals, along with a few former Catholics and Episcopalians."
sltrib.com/home/5243596-155/utah-mormons-protestants-finding-new-spiritual

>"At first, I didn't understand a thing. But I kept studying it; I had always wanted to know the truth," she says. "I realized the Orthodox Church had been around for 2,000 years, had carefully guarded their theology and had not allowed popular beliefs to change them."

Other urls found in this thread:

nestorian.org/the_lynching_of__nestorius.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How's your horse lover, Constantine?

Nestorianism is the One True Faith

Nestorius is wrong because Mary is called the mother of the Lord in the Bible. The Lord is a PERSON

How do Patriarchs get selected and by whom?

does she still post here?

Synods of bishops make a short list pf two three, and the emperor picks one, whom the bishops then ordain. These days there is no emperor though

wait... how do they claim to be unchanged from the early church if they involved the emperor in the process?

But Cyril rigged the council

proof?

There was no patriarch. Patriarchs were started as liasons between state and Church. Besides that, the early dogmatic way of choosing bishops, it sometimes was even done by the laity (although confirmed and ordained by the clergy)

"she".

And yes, but without the trip.

When an angry mob is demanding someone be made bishop, the clergy dont have much a a choice unless their looking to be martyred

There was early *dogmatic of choosing bishops

Dogma, in Orthodoxy, is limited to what Christ personally taught. For instance, the ever virginity of Mary is taught as fact by tge Church, but not dogma, as Christ not personally teach it. The Theotokos is also only dogma for Christological reasons,

I'd like to start this thread off with the most important question of our time:

What are we going to do about the Popery problem, Veeky Forums? They even deny the anal birth of Our Lord and Savior (PBUH) and Mary's Eternal Virginity!

A bishop cannot unilaterally appoint another bishop

Was * not early dogmatic method of choosing

nestorian.org/the_lynching_of__nestorius.html

Real question. How can a I become an orthodox if I am a degenerate?

I listened to a YouTube lecture the other day, and the priest said that you should become pure and constantly fast and pray in order to see the uncreated light. And that this was the real Christian life.

But I'm afraid I can't stop masturbating, let alone fast, let alone be pure. I would have to constantly confess that I masturbate and the priest would think badly of me.

Therefore Nestorius's Christology wasn't heretical? No, that doesn't follow.

Pray more

Chrysostom was exiled because he was morally staunch, and didn't play politics. He used the term Theotokos and would have denounced Nestorius. This article presents a lot of speculatiin as fact

By the, Cyril's uncle, prior Patrirach of Alexandria, pushed for Chrysostom's deposal, whereas Cyril pushed to have him canonized as a saint. And Chrysostom was of the Antiochene school