Before the spread of Christianity and Abrahamic religions...

Before the spread of Christianity and Abrahamic religions, was there any wars or conflicts motivated by religious reasons?

Is religious intolerance a Judean, or even a Monotheistic thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Roman_Empire
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Before the spread of Christianity and Abrahamic religions, was there any wars or conflicts motivated by religious reasons?

No.
>Is religious intolerance a Judean, or even a Monotheistic thing?

Yes, absolutely.

Aztecs ran around beating up their neighbours in order to capture people to sacrifice, all without any Abrahamic influence.

Kali cult is just one example of what polytheistic religions can come up with. You may be offended by circumcision like the rest of us, but ritual castration of males was a thing in Greece and Rome. Rome, which killed most of Gaul religion in genocidal rage. Rome, which ended the Carthaginian religion in genocidal rage.

As for wars, Chimps go to war, and it is not over religion. Zoroastrians went to war for religious reasons. Egypt had a civil war for religious reasons, numerous revolts were issued in Babylon and other nations that practiced sacrifice. OP, you should also look at the maps of how religious borders have moved.

Well that wasn't because " Your gods are wrong! Only my god is real!" but more like "hey the world I'd going to end if we don't feed you to the sun god (or whoever) sozz."

Religious wars are a historically negligible fact. Most wars, and the most destructive among them, the most ruthless, have been wars for money/resources. Banker's wars, merchant's wars, oil wars, gold wars etc

okay, that is true.

however, let's limit ourselves in the old world for this discussion.

>Rome, which killed most of Gaul religion in genocidal rage. Rome, which ended the Carthaginian religion in genocidal rage.

These wars weren't religiously motivated. As far as I'm concerned, was a Roman practice to absorb gods of other cultures.

>OP, you should also look at the maps of how religious borders have moved.

That would be interesting, but did "nations" had their "state religions" back in ancient times? Wasn't it mostly about household gods and cults?

The question was were there any wars waged for pre-Abrahamic religious reasons.

I believe China also had several conflicts involving the rivalries between Buddhism, Daoism, and Confucianism.

If you're asking if people were willing to kill each other for worshipping the wrong deities or "false" deities before Abrahamic monotheism was a thing then the answer to that question is no.

I partially agree.
Every time some foreign empire occupied Judea, the Jews answered with a religious revolt because "muh temple is profaned"
The Bible talks big time about having pagans as enemies.

Same thing about Muhammad, he couldn't just sit in his ass and say "I found a religion, you pray for other gods, its okay bro". No, he couldn't, he had to get his gang to purge paganism out of Arabia. That was the struggle of his lifetime.

And whenever there was a war for different reasons, Christians answered "they pagans, must kill". They couldn't just say stuff like "let's protect ourselves and keep them believing on whatever they want"

Abrahamic religion is pretty much unique in that it's expansionistic to a degree previously unheard of.
>VIkings to Christians: It's cool bro, you do you
>Christians to VIkings: DEUS VULT KILL ALL PAGANS REE

True religious conflicts are incredibly rare in history. Almost never has a nation attacked another nation ONLY to force it to convert to another religion. Religion is just a justification for the war, not the cause.
No, the Romans did not tolerate the germanic pagans back when they conquered them.

>VIkings to Christians: It's cool bro, you do you

:-DD

>>No, the Romans did not tolerate the germanic pagans back when they conquered them.
That's wrong actually. They never persecuted people just for believing in different deities. The Germanics were prone to rebelling and invading, and any shitstomping occurred as a result of that.

No, pagans were mostly tolerant of monotheists, not so much the other way around when they became the majority.

>They never persecuted people just for believing in different deities.

As long as they also honored Caesar as a god.

This was not a problem for germanic polytheists, and the jews managed to keep their own monotheist religion under this system and only got smacked down for constantly rebelling and refusing to pay taxes.

Seems to me that the christians were the unreasonable ones.

The subjugated Germanics and Jews made sacrifices to Caesar, the Christians did not and rightfully so because Caesar was unreasonable to presume himself to be a deity.

>>implying that a lack of willingness to compromise is reasonable.
>>implying that those sacrifices were all that much other then paying rome tribute.
>>implying that it's better to be executed for what is essentially treason then it is to give some guy money.

I don't know about wars but the Romans often suppressed mystery religions alongside Christianity. For some reason people tend to believe there is some sort of religious freedom in the classical world. There wasn't, if you didn't incorporate the emperor or weren't on the approved list you generally got fucked.

Yes the sacrifices were paying Rome tribute by publicly proclaiming its leader to be divine.

One need only a cursory knowledge of Roman history to know that to be false.

>Hey guys don't worry that we just slaughtered your people and profaned your idols, we'll be cool as long as you modify your beliefs so that you worship our Emperor.
>Who cares about your traditions and beliefs, just change them.
It's like asking the French to pray to St. Bismarck.

Not religiously motivated though, unlike the northern crusades

Pillaging helpless folk was Thor approved, sprout.

These points are good, but they will not persuade the memers.

I'm sure the German mercenaries slaughtered Orthodox Finns for the sake of religion.

Raids aren't really wars, and 'religiously motivated' doesn't come into it. It was fine to raid the helpless, if they happened to be christian that's not a huge deal.

Typical atheist, doesn't understand religion at all.
If Roman wars weren't religious, then no 'Christian wars' were religious.
Disgusting, hypocritical romaboo.

>was a Roman practice to absorb gods of other cultures.
Only in the early republican rome. And still it was more of stealing gods more than anything. For example after the Siege of Veii, when the Romans under Camillus finally captured the city set about looting the place a special squad of white toga wearing men were assigned to accompany the forces and beseech the Goddess Juno and take her back to Rome as she was Jupiter's wife. According to Livy one of the soldier priests in the toga asked and beseeched the Statue of Juno, and it nodded its head and all the toga dressed soldiers lifted the huge metal idol with relative ease and transported it to Rome. Some fancy nonsense but I reckon they were trying to find favour from the heavens though the war was not religiously motivated.

>Pagans were peacefu-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians_in_the_Roman_Empire

This.
Honestly, i hate how modern secular folk project their own worldviews upon ancient societies.
>Romans were secular and tolerant(no);
>Greeks were cool with homosexuals(no);
And that new meme from that fedora book:
>The ancient world was full of atheists, and it was totally ok for you to be public about it and blaspheme the gods;

And of course:
>Everything Changed When The Christian Nation Attacked

>Greeks accepted homosexuals
I thought it was more like 'if you can't find a women, take a boy' with 'take' being the important word. If you were a bottom you were lower than dirt,

Not even their neighbours: their vassals. No wonder they defected to the Spanish.

I've read that in Mesopotamia during Antiquity there were tensions between Zoroastrians vs Christians vs Jews vs Assurists

exactly.
It was prison style understanding of sexuality.
"A hole is a hole, but you better damn well be the one doing the penetrating"

You were still expected to find a wife and knock her up once your military training was over.

All citizens, be aware that the vassal, Prince Herod, Tetrarch of Galilee, has come to the city. By order of the triumvirate, during his residence here, all mockery of Jews and their one god shall be kept to an appropriate minimum.

Well the Taiping Rebellion was a religious war and that had the highest death count score in history until World War 2.

Nobody here is denying the vikings were savage pieces of shit you leftypol mouthbreather, what you're being told is that their savagery was based on economic grouds, not religious supremacy.

The Persians burning down Greek holy temples for their God.