Tfw you realize having an educated population is NOT a good thing and that university educated citizens should be...

>tfw you realize having an educated population is NOT a good thing and that university educated citizens should be capped to under 20% to induce a scarcity for white collar jobs

>tfw doing this also makes more of the population content with working blue collar jobs rather than wanting a comfy office job

Fuck...this redpill was hard to swallow

Let the market judge

Capped quotas for blue and white collar classes are the Soviet Union

But wouldn't having smaller classes focused on only the brightest minds increase the productivity and efficiency of the educated population?

The classes are able to run faster and students would be able to learn more, with more funds directed at actual, useful programs rather than shitty liberal arts garbage.

Imagine what will happen when automation starts to take over. Maybe we can keep people from chimping out with short lived pleasures and Sex-bots for a while. But so many people are gonna be left with no purpose. I don't feel very optimistic regarding the future.

You don't need bureaucratic crap to become intelligent, educated and professional. Books are either free or cheap. The cult of educational institutions must go altogether.

There wont be many blue collar jobs once automation takes off

Even white collar jobs arent safe.

We need to think of new solutions, not regress to a luddite past

The only reason people were pushed into college in such numbers was to combat the swell of unskilled migration and outsourcing. But they're outsourcing those jobs too now. Either way, it wasn't a domestic issue with labor supply.
Point is you can't balloon the labor supply alone while product demand stays stagnant and expect the free market to just fix it.

You can always move to North Korea.

read player piano

>college entry becomes even more political and nepotistic than it is now
>frustrated proles who couldn't afford to bribe their way into a high status career start hanging the children of aristocrats from lampposts
>insular, out of touch elites respond with overwhelming force, kicking off a bloody collapse into balkanized warlord states under the sway of foreign powers

I love how pseudointellectuals always come up with "simple solutions" that lead to worse outcomes than doing literally nothing.

when everyone wants to get lambos no one gets lambos

>But wouldn't having smaller classes focused on only the brightest minds increase the productivity and efficiency of the educated population?

What do you do about these people who then start to think in castes?
"Brightest mind" is hard to specify. Even today, a gifted kid with a IQ of >140 can easily be treated as "dumb", just because the parents are just "workers". I am a teacher and many of my collegues think this way, especially the younger ones who recently graduated.

I agree with you that this might(!) be better, but how to deal with the fact that we cannot objectively test if someone is "bright"? I can assure you that no professor will ever accept the result of a test that places his kid only on an average level. He/she will always find a way to get their children into these classes. And this kid will do the same with its own offspring - not because their children will be automatically smart, but their parents are persistant about their children being "special".

And this is how you produce snowflakes.

This automatation boogeyman is ridiculous and has always been.
Can you imagine what happens, when all the steam engine destroys all farm jobs?
People will live and people will work. You might be enjoing more massages or anal penetrations in the future, but somehow you will spend your money.
It is only in the present situation, in which economical adjustments are prohibited by the structure of our monetary system and political will, that automation seems like a threat, but this system is destined to crumble anyhow.

>libtards crying about student loan debt
>maybe there's a market reason tuition costs keep going up?
Artificially low interest rates are a crutch for a fucked economy. You have to use common sense to not buy shitty more house and more college than you can afford. Unfortunately both liberals and conservatives held rates low for too long and the fucking barista position at Starbucks expects a bachelor's now. Imagine if we had Bernie giving away free college too. It's time to take some hard red pills up the ass we're all poorer than we thought. build your bunkers

There is a point in automation where we are automating things that only a human mind could do now. That's when the automation problem will really come to a head. Until then we still have to deal with the loss of jobs like fast food jobs, retail, hell malls are going out of business left and right.

>the past always predicts the future
Why must this be so?

Who has a better deal--the guy turning a wrench in a factory who can support a whole household, or the guy who works 50 hours a week managing a mcdonalds and can just afford his bachelor apartment? Because that's the tradeoff we made. Vast segments of the population have no skills that will earn them a dignified living, and no prospect of attaining those skills.

Things are changing faster, too. You won't be able to retrain every truck driver in the country to program smartphone apps the way we trained farm kids to operate a drill press in a factory.

You're speaking of a future, that our childrens children most likely wont have to deal with. And the duscussion at that part becomes metaphysical anyway. Jobs will be our last problem then. But the rest is just economical change. Destruction and failure has to happen for more stable structures to be built on the ruins of the former.
As said, it is the political will, that is prohibiting these small adjustments, when failure happens. All these problems stay undercover and accumulate till the bubble bursts.

Unconditional basic income would help, but then we would need to start a heavy and ugly debate about envy and communism.

you clearly don't understand the rate at rich technology is advancing. We will have near-human intelligence within the next 4 decades.

It will be necessary at one point. Let's just hope our incoming AI overlords will be willing to keep us around.

I doubt it would work. Not the concept itself, but imagine explaining an american what UBI is about...

You're reaching the fundamental cognitive limits of a significant portion of the population. Probably about 20% of the population simply can't do jobs that require creative capacity or problem solving.

People talk about the point robots replace all jobs, but you don't need that to happen to cause substantial unrest. Just the point you can replace most manual labor you're already going to cause riits.

I legit think sometimes that the only solution is to have an AI pulling the strings in secret.

You have a point with changes accuring faster, but only from our point of view. Historically the digital revolution and the industrial revolution are comparable in their magnitude of change for humankind and in their temporal course. And nobody is saying that people wont hurt. Change is always accompanied by problems.
Demand for an income is the driving force of the economy. The ones, who are at the root of production will have to pay for desired services. Acordingly to the needs of the offeres of services. It is only regulations political or otherwise, that are interferring in this structure.
Automatation is a threat to our political system and that's a good thing.

I doubt your assumption, but who am I to predict the future.
Still, looking at our academic advancements in the understanding of human action and the functioning of our brain, I am willing to say, that we don't understand shit yet.

You don't always need to fully understand something to create something based on it. We didn't fully understand how coal/wood burns before we were able to create something useful with it.

Literally all of Machine Learning rn is working with these black boxes. We don't need to know what we're doing to make something advanced.

The difference is that, up until 1978 or so (in the USA) those changes led to a general trend of improving standards of living, more equal wealth distribution, greater social mobility, and hope for the future.

Those trends have been reversing, and the our cushion of wealth is running out. People will go on and make do, but I feel its more and more likely that we'll end up looking like Russia or Greece.

My best hope is that technology might enable automated communes, where a small community owns all the machines necessary to sustain a dignified life for those who can follow simple rules of good behavior.

UBI is a nice idea in some ways, but people crave status and accomplishment as much or more than dollars, and government bread might not stave off major political destabilization that leads to zombie apocalypse.

I suppose you would be in that 20% though wouldn't you buddy

hmmmmm

Funny how the people who think like this and also believe in eugenics always think they'll be part of the lucky 20% rather than the sons/daughters of the extremely rich

pathetic

God fucking damnit you're all RETARDS

The West didn't lose its blue collar jobs because of such-and-such president saying something good about college and tons of kids going to it

It lost it because of ultra cheap foreign outsourcing and because our currencies were bloated up by our service / informatics / finance industries

Working class people are screwed as long as we have open trade with Asia; either they bump down to their level or all get college educated.

In a global free market, the populations of the whole world combine into one big country, in which there will be no need for quotas because there will always be demand for low-end jobs (that can't come from immigrants this time) and the value of college education will adjust accordingly.

The Soviet Union quotas were incredibly high; 51% of adults had college education.

it lost it because of corporate capitalism

>The Soviet Union quotas were incredibly high; 51% of adults had college education.
You should learn about what a "kolkhoz" is, and how working class people were trapped for good there

> Literally all of Machine Learning rn is working with these black boxes.

You don't know shit about it.

I think like this and also believe in eugenics while fully embracing the fact that I am genetic waste. It's a philosophy of self-destruction when adopted by those like myself, and we crave it.