Which country suffered the most in WW2 and why was it Poland?

Which country suffered the most in WW2 and why was it Poland?
>get invaded by Germans
>if this doesn't seem bad enough, you get invaded by the Soviets
>no chance to resist and your """allies""" are too busy jerking off behind Maginot Line to do anything to help you
>be partitioned between two totalitarian regimes, both want to destroy you as a nation
>germans treat you as second class citizens, deport families from their homes so they can resettle themselves there
>soviets persecute all intellectuals who they see as a threat and kill off all your army officers
>a small force who escapes is fighting for the british under the hope that they will help you liberate your homeland
>meanwhile your people are preparing for an uprising which your allies have said to help support
>Warsaw Uprising happens
>Allies do jack shit to help you and Soviets just watch you fight and die from across the Vistula
>still continue to fight for the British under the false pretense of liberation, even though the Brits themselves have agreed with Stalin to let you get occupied by Soviets
>war ends and Western Allies abandon you to the Soviets
>have to suffer 50 years of occupation of a shitty oppressive communist regime which fucks over your economy for generations
>is now the laughing stock of Europe and only known to the Brits (the people who stabbed you in the back in the first place) as the country of toilet cleaners and prostitutes.
If I was Polish, I would just kill myself out of pure shame. I feel bad for them.

You didn't mention operation Tannenberg.

And yeah, it was Poland without doubt.

Definitely Poland, 2nd would be Ukraine

Why are the Brits so evil?

>trusting the anglo
It was all your fault from the very beginning.

I feel the Polish deserved most of what they got. William Shirer seems to think so too.

>Contrary to a widespread belief at the time, not only in Moscow but in
the Western capitals, that the British and French governments did nothing to
induce the Poles to agree to Soviet troops meeting the Germans on Polish soil,
it is clear from documents recently released that London and Paris went quite
far – but not quite far enough. It is also clear that the Poles reacted with
unbelievable stupidity.597
>On August 18, after the first Anglo-French attempt was made in Warsaw
to open the eyes of the Poles, Foreign Minister Beck told the French ambassador, Leon Noel, that the Russians were ”of no military value,” and General Stachiewicz, Chief of the Polish General Staff, backed him up by declaring that he saw ”no benefit to be gained by Red Army troops operating in Poland.”
>The next day both the British and French ambassadors saw Beck again
and urged him to agree to the Russian proposal. The Polish Foreign Minister
stalled, but promised to give them a formal reply the next day. The AngloFrench
demarche in Warsaw came as the result of a conversation earlier on
the nineteenth in Paris between Bonnet, the French Foreign Minister, and the
British charge d’affaires. Somewhat to the Briton’s surprise, this archappeaser
of Hitler was now quite aroused at the prospect of losing Russia as an ally
because of Polish stubbornness.

>It would be disastrous [Bonnet told him] if, in consequence of a
Polish refusal, the Russian negotiations were to break down . . . It
was an untenable position for the Poles to take up in refusing the
only immediate efficacious help that could reach them in the event of
a German attack. It would put the British and French Governments
in an almost impossible position if we had to ask our respective
countries to go to war in defense of Poland, which had refused this
help.

I would say Soviets (from various parts like Russia, Belarus and Ukraine) and China may have suffered more. Poland is just under them and Yugoslavia also suffered horribly.

How come every WW2 narrative about Poland starts on September 1, 1939?
I'm not trying to minimize the suffering of Poles or to justify German or Soviet invasions, but you have to mention that Poland first refused anti-German alliance proposal from the USSR and then took an active part in the partitioning of Czechoslovakia. Far from being a passive victim, Poland was playing a political game of its own, and it lost.

>refused anti-German alliance proposal from the USSR
I'm sure you know that just means vassalization, right?
>took an active part in the partitioning of Czechoslovakia
yeah, I it was dickish move, and stupid too

What Poles really didn't like in that was the idea of Soviet troops stationing in Poland. They still remembered the 1920 war, and it was obvious that wherever the USSR troops had been stationed, the place would have suffered from constant rapes and pillages, by no means better than the idea of occupation. Nevertheless, Polish politicians were pretty damn delusional.

There's no denying in Poland playing a diplomatic game, as does any country.

About alliances with either Germans or the Soviets, well, the Polish had their reasons not to trust them, especially the communists. Again, Polish diplomacy was very delusional with their plans; nevertheless, you have to keep in mind that either alliance would most likely result in a backstab.

The Czechoslovakian debacle is an entirely different thing. Poles did not cooperate with the Germans - their armies met at Bogumin, if I recall correctly, and they were getting ready to fight, before Hitler informed his troops that "Bogumin belongs to Poland".

In minds of the contemporary Polish, they were taking back what the Czechs took away from them during the Polish-Soviet war. True, the whole action was a huge diplomatic failure, damaging Polish reputation; but one could argue that, besides of "liberating the Polish people of Zaolzie", it was also a strategic move, as it prevented the German border from encircling Poland even more. What the Polish didn't think about is that the Bohemian protectorate would soon be incorporated to the Reich.

> I'm sure you know that just means vassalization, right?
Not necessary, they could've used UK/France to counter Soviet influence, and the alliance would've been a defensive measure meant to prevent the German attack, not an outright occupation. The problem was, Poland had been actively anti-Soviet in their foreigner politic since the war of 1920 and had a large Ukrainian/Belorussian minority in the east with no allegiance to the national Polish state they were building. As a result, they considered the USSR a far more probable opponent than Germany, and that prevented them from any form of cooperation against the real threat out there.

>flying supplies across the entirety of Nazi occupied Europe is doing jack shit to help

Why are Poles so delusional?
>wahh britain and france abandoned us!!!
No they didn't, they went to war with Germany over you. They were not prepared for war. Do you think they should have immediatly invaded Germany despite not being anywhere close to ready?

> Do you think they should have immediatly invaded Germany despite not being anywhere close to ready?
In hindsight, this would have been a good idea.

>In hindsight, this would have been a good idea.
Britain had no real air force or army to invade with
Poles have a real victim complex

The Poles knew all too well that if they allowed the Soviets in, they would never leave.
It was better to place some hope in the Western Allies dissuading the Germans or at least enabling a military victory, and to go down with honor, than to give up and become a Soviet puppet state before a shot had even been fired.

This

>get involved in the bloodiest conflict in history, with hundreds of thousands of people dead, cities levelled and the cultural, economic and political landscape changed forever
>wahhhhh!!!!! You did nuggin!!!!

soverignity is a big deal for them

iirc they lose something like 20% of their prewar population. Thats alot for a country the size of New Mexico.

play stupid games win stupid prizes

Danzig ist Polnisch

>play stupid games win stupid prizes