Was it ever feasible for Buddhism to take root in Europe? Lots of other countries seemed to convert to it...

Was it ever feasible for Buddhism to take root in Europe? Lots of other countries seemed to convert to it, and Greco-Buddhism was a thing.

Other urls found in this thread:

counter-currents.com/2013/06/spiritual-virility-in-buddhism/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The problem is that Buddhism doesn't endorse proselytism as Christianism and Islam do.

It would have been the best time line.
>Yurop u grown now u must choose religion
>which one will it be
>rational Aryan religion of prince Siddhartha
>ooga booga camelfucker sandnigger religion
2000 years later
>muh Judeo-Christian values
>mug refugees
>praise isruhl

Retard alert. Retard alert...

There was significant (not unfriendly) contact between Buddhism and Christianity on the silk road, but it probably didn't reach Europe and it wasn't Europeans anyway.

I think I read there have been Buddhists in Russia.

Sionism is alien to the Catholic and Orthodox traditions. It's American Protestantism the one current that emphasizes the ties between Judaism and Christianity and the divine duty of the latter to protect the former.

Before the industrial revolution it might've been able to take root had the church not have had so much influence in the region.

After the industrial revolution, consumerist ideals became more integral to European culture alongside the expansion of Europe's collective economy. Buddhism could never thrive in such an environment.

Stop posting retarded shit if you have no knowledge.

There were plenty of trade between India/Roman, India/Greek.

It could have taken root in Europe had it not been the persian empire that was blocking in the middle. Greek colonist settlers converted to Buddhism and the area became one of the most important places for ancient Buddhism.

With the Greek already seeing Indian philosophy as something unique and interesting, it could very well take root.

All of you worship a Jew and venerate warring polygamous bedouins as saints. Not even Jews think god is a Jew.

>lets make up a non-standard name for judaism to sound edgy

>I think I read there have been Buddhists in Russia
there still are today but that's a result of russian imperial expansion into areas where buddhist peoples were already living, not adoption of buddhism by ethnic russians. it's mostly mongol groups that ended up under russian rule like the buryats and kalmyks and then also some turkic groups like the tuvans.

you could actually argue that buddhism has taken root in europe with the mongol kalmyks living a bit north of the caucasus who follow vajrayana buddhism though admittedly that's quite periphal.

Thing is, Buddhism went east rather than west.
Its missionaries moved on into China, rather than heading west to proselytize. More than likely because the West had Zoroastrianism which was also a proselytizing religion to a certain degree though was bested by Christianity which is zoro-lite

I recall reading the claim that in its early centuries buddhism was looking towards the west. King Asoka boasts to have sent monks to what seems to have been the mediterranean - he correctly names various contemporary kings from the eastern mediterranean basin, with whom the greeks from bactria were probably in intermittent contact anyway. the only trace of these early contacts from the western side are some tombstones with buddhist motifs from ancient alexandria and the story of barlaam and josaphat, although some try to argue, incorrectly imo, that epicureans show buddhist influence.

I hear you. One of my favorite accounts (and we will never know the truth about this) is that Plotinus' teacher, Ammonius Saccas, was a Buddhist or at least Indian sage, and the Saccas in his name is an interpretation of Sakka, or Sakya in Sakyamuni Buddha. Sakka, in the Persian language, means Scythian. We know that the Buddha, as well as Bodhidharma, descended from Scythian tribes that settled in northern India.

As in* Sakyamuni Buddha.

If it wasn't for Cuckstaninople, then possibly.

Buddhism was very slowly going west but the rise of islam made short work of it. Buddhism went extinct in Central Asia and practically so in India as well.

Comparatively, the west very new ground and was not readily of accepting of the Indian principles. Meanwhile Southeast Asia had a ton of Indian influence and was cool as fuck about true buddhism. Mahayanna appealed to chinks and the japs.

greco-buddhism could've taken root in europe before christianity, it was very much in line with some of the helenistic philosophies out there. After christianity had become dominant I don't think it would've.

Hurr hurr

Yes.

Read Evola's book as well as his essay on Buddhism to see how and why it must be necessary, esp. the chapter "The Aryan-ness of the Doctrine of Awakening" and this essay: counter-currents.com/2013/06/spiritual-virility-in-buddhism/

Kek