African American Muslims

What was the reasoning for the African American conversions to Islam in the 20th Century? I know that the Nation of Islam and notable members like Malcolm X led the charge for the widespread conversion, but why? At maximum, only 30% of the African American slaves brought to the Americas would have been Muslim. If the movement and conversion was about getting in touch with the culture's African roots, wouldn't it have made more sense to adhere to traditional African religious practices (or even Santeria, a mix of Catholicism and traditional African religions) rather than Islam?
I'm trying to activate the almonds on this one Veeky Forums, but I can't figure it out.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_of_Islam
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States#Modern_Muslims
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They wanted to set themselves apart from the white oppressor, but still believed in Jesus and didn't want to be pagans

this, a reaction to white hegemony

WE WUZ SCIENTISTS

I wonder if they would have still chosen Islam as their new religion had they known how horrible and long lasting the Ottoman slave trade was. I think something along the lines of bhuddest beliefs or Hindu even would have been better than Islam. With the former two you can really push the whole peace thing whilst still essentially looking like anyone else in your community. With Islam in order to truly adhere to your faith your going to really standout in how you look and interact with others. An example being I probably won't know that your a reformed Jew on looks alone but I will know if you are an orthodox Jew on sight.

>didn't want to be pagans
So, in truth, they did not actually want to get back in touch with their cultural identity?

No, they didn't care for Africa, they wanted to be their own community in America. Look at Liberia. The few black people that did go back to Africa immediately set up a class system with themselves above the "unenlightened savages"

Most African Americans that convert to Islam do so in prison. Probably because they're violent thugs, and look for something that exalts their violent thuggishness.

West Africa has a strong Muslim cultural identity.

African-Americans have never given a shit about Africa. They sold us out for some fucking guns and then, after centuries of us painstakingly building this country into something decent, they want to immigrate here? Fuck them.

T. African-American

Becuz Christianity bees da ebil white man's religion

We wuz imams n shieet

Because it was their original religion.

Ottoman slave trade wasn't racialized

I think it's great. Like Paul Pogba for exaple.

No, it wasn't. The vast majority of slaves that went to the Americas were animist.

Except if you were a blond white women...

Over a third of them were practicing Muslims, and the rest were at least immersed in Islamization through their home countries. Most of them were the result of being on the losing side of the Fulani jihads. Look up Islam in America.

They aren't actual Muslims. They're black supremacists who believe Allah/YHWH is a Black Man. It's just we wuzzery. Nation of Islam are the people who conjured up Yakub and the big head scientists, crackas wuz in cayves, etc.

Blacks who convert to actual Islam purely out of political masturbation, rather than genuine belief, are stupid either way because Islam enslaved Africans far more than whitey did. You can say it wasn't racialized, but there are plenty of Arab sources commending negroes for their slave-like disposition and physical traits suited for slavery. Islamic slave trade if anything was worse, because non-Muslims = non-Humans almost. A bit more leeway if you're a Dhimmi 'person of the book', and hellish for pagans (which many East Africans were, minus Ethiopians).

>Over a third of them were practicing Muslims
So... again, the vast majority were animist and not Muslim. Thank you for clearing that up through irrelevant dickwaving.

Having a religion is not a requirement for life. Most people in general are passively religious at best. Why does black Americans Islamic origins upset you?

It doesn't. I was just refuting your retarded statement that they were already Muslim because they weren't. This is something you even admitted in an attempt to dick wave. Why does being wrong, again, by your own admission in an attempt to dick wave at people, upset you so much that you try to irrelevantly dick wave again?

West Africa is actually muslim and many African Americans had ancestry going back there. They figured the white man's religion was just a tool of oppression and a falsehood and they needed to retrieve what was lost.

It was possibly also a way for extremist groups to detach followers from more mainstream religions.

But my point is that they were already Muslim, a third does not represent an insignificant percentage, and that just represents the devout ones. The rest were at least exposed to Islam way before they were exposed to Christianity.

>that just represents the devout ones.
You just said that it represents the practicing ones, not "just the devout ones".

You seem to be under the false assumption that because they were exposed to it they were Muslim (albeit non-practicing) which is generally not the case, least of all in Africa. Look at East Africa and Tanganyika in particular. Native Tanganyikans had been ruled over by Oman/Zanzibar for centuries and the tribes were well accustomed to Islam and Arabic. However, by the time Germany moved in few Tanganyikans had converted to Islam and most were Animist. This was true of Togoland and Kamerun, fairly large sources of the U.S. slave trade albeit a few centuries removed. Your original statement that the slaves religion was Islam is categorically false and you even stated as much in the next post while trying to dick wave at me for refuting you. The simple fact of the matter is, irrefutably I might add, most African slaves were not Muslim. The vast majority were Animist. Also, I'd like a source from you that definitively says that over a third of slaves that went to the United States were Muslim because the closest I can find is 10 to 15%.

This upsets you, I know. Islam is not tolerant of animism, which is why Egypt is no longer animist.

Ironically Veeky Forums embraces African animism.

Not an argument.

Literally?

A black southerner with a 4th grade education met a black muslim from Guinea in NYC, assumed that Islam was "native" african religion, misunderstood everything, added his own personal brand of bullshit, and started a cult like Joseph Smith

t. African American

But west Africa IS Muslim, and has been since the 11th century. The slaves were POWs from various jihads.

Why does this trigger white people?

But it's not native african

It's a cucked arab religion, fuck Allah

African religion is the spirits of nature and ancestors surrounding us

Christianity is not native to Europe, but whites eat it up. There is no difference.

basically this, or they were forced into christianity and wanted to try something esle: see cape verde

Christinity is too associated with white people, amd traditional African rituals were entirely forgotten and lost, unlike in the Caribbean and Brazil

Most racist countries towards blacks are mostly Arab nations.

>I know that the Nation of Islam and notable members like Malcolm X led the charge for the widespread conversion, but why? At maximum, only 30% of the African American slaves brought to the Americas would have been Muslim
sorry for the caps but:
NATION OF ISLAM OR "BLACK ISLAM" HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER IN COMMON WITH ISLAM EXCEPT THAT THEY BOTH SHARE THAT NAME. READ ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR BELIEFS AND YOUD SEE THAT ITS THE FURTHEST THING FROM IT AND THEIR WHOLE IDEOLOGY REVOLVES AROUND BLACK REVENGE FANTASIES. READ PIC RELATED

this

If you knew islam's history, you wouldnt ask this question.
Hint: bilal
Also ,White= mostly christian

I never said anything about Nation of Islam. Quit strawmanning you stupid nigger.

Egypt is no longer animist because of Christianity.

and which post are you? the whole premise of OP's post is that blacks converted to islam, which they didn't. it doesn't matter whether it was historically justified or not because the religion these blacks are converting isn't islam.

WE

WASP contrarianism

SOME of West Africa.

>STILL being a stupid nigger

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation_of_Islam
>Nation of Islam size 20-50,000
>Roughly 25% of the 3.3 million Muslims in America are African-American
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States#Modern_Muslims
So, of course, the OTHER 775,000 or so Black Muslims are just all faking it, right?

Kind of radical protest, lol

Gay people r gay!

Islam hates the west and jews, who blacks also hate.