So...We talk a lot about god here, but, is believing in Satanas polytheism?

So...We talk a lot about god here, but, is believing in Satanas polytheism?

And if not, how so? What makes for a polytheist view?
Is it not polytheism as long as you don't accept beings like Angels as gods? Does this mean that it is perfectly possible to believe in, say, Zeus, without being a heretic, as long as you don't accept that said entity is a god?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmoved_mover
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henosis
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is it not polytheism as long as you don't accept beings like Angels as gods? Does this mean that it is perfectly possible to believe in, say, Zeus, without being a heretic, as long as you don't accept that said entity is a god?

Yes.

Monotheism was in fact the dominant religious system among pagans in the Roman Empire before the Christcuks came along, generally the one god in question was the Unmoved Mover but there were also some who cited Zeus as the only true god, claiming the other gods are merely his messengers (Angels).

Satanism would be polytheistic because Christianity is polytheistic.

Huh, that's, pretty interesting.

Who is the Unmoved Mover? I've never heard of him.

>Satanism would be polytheistic

I was merely referring only to the believe that there was an evil entity that worked against god, not necessarily in worshiping it.

>Christianity is polytheistic.

I hear this meme thrown around a lot, but unless you are referring to the holy trinity thing you are gonna have to explain yourself.

How do you differentiate a god from other powerful entities in such case?

>Monotheism was in fact the dominant religious system among pagans in the Roman Empire

Most Romans might have believed in one god over others, but they probably didn't deny that they existed, so that would be henotheism.

>Who is the Unmoved Mover? I've never heard of him.

He's also called Τὸ Ἕν (The One) and the "Uncaused Cause", he's an an inconceivable, transcendent, all-embodying, permanent, eternal, causative entity that permeates throughout all of existence, "...one god, greatest among gods and humans, like mortals neither in form nor in thought."

The Christians of course claimed this to be their primitive jew god, which is why Christian theology is so wildly different than that of the Jews.

>Christianity is polytheistic.

You can claim your three gods are "really" only one, but that's what we grown ups call "special pleading".

The Neoplatonists and Orphics certainly believed in only one god, and that the other "gods" are merely angels (a Greek word meaning "messenger". The Mithraists /may/ have been monotheists, not enough is known about their beliefs to be sure. Whether this amounts to a majority of pagans of the late Empire I couldn't say, but it certainly accounted for the majority of educated pagans.

You're traveling onto a hard road by saying such things, though I entirely agree with you. I work at a liquor store, yet a Jehova's Witness gave me a pamphlet today after being incredibly kind to her while she was buying a 1.75 liter of gin.

Cognitive dissonance is strong within society. Add to that the fact that many are ignorant of history, and only see what they desire to see, and you're dealing with a large number of people who will immediately dismiss these ideas over those that confirm their beliefs.

Christians stole their philosophy and theology from superior peoples and then destroyed everything they could of those superior people's legacy, I honestly don't care what they think, if in fact a Christian can be said to be capable of thought.

I only have Google at hand of course, but I can find no references to such a deity.

By incredibly kind, I mean that I treat every customer as a friend. I don't care what they're buying, I'll be kind to them and accepting. I do not care who you are, I only want to help you get what you desire, and hopefully guide you to the highest quality product for your needs. That includes Jehova's Witnesses, even if I think their beliefs are unchained from reality.

I don't believe you. You wouldn't happen to be Christian, would you? Something about the way you just blatantly lie and assume everyone else is as cretinous and credulous as you are seems familiar.

You sound very mad.

Also, I Actually found some info about it just after typing that. But Christianity pre-dates them all.

Christianity predates Aristotle? Go fuck yourself faggot, you ""people"" are so dishonest that it makes me physically sick.

That's taking it way too far. They were very good at adapting local beliefs and selling the locals on Christianity. I don't believe this was for the better, but it was impressive, how they actively adapted to the "pagan" belief systems and forced conversion.

I still don't get why puerile demonize Islam when they were at least accepting of other beliefs, despite making them pay a tax. That's more honest than the Christian method of conversion at least. All that hell fire and death that inspired Dante, and all that. Scaring people into following your religion and collecting vast amounts of wealth from it. Gosh dang, I'm glad for the unification aspects of Christianity, but wow, if it isn't distasteful.

You are mixing 2 different things together friendo. This "Τὸ Ἕν" god you speak of is mentioned in the works of Plotinus, who lived in the II century a.D.

There are apparently some greek works of philosophy that present some monotheistic ideas, but I don't see them flesh them out, and they certainty don't make mention by name of any gods.

>I still don't get why puerile demonize Islam when they were at least accepting of other beliefs

No. They allowed Christians and Jews to exist, provided they paid a tax, AND gave up all legal rights, AND "felt themselves to be humiliated" on a day-to-day basis, and even with all this "mercy" they periodically slaughtered and forced conversions on them. And that's only for the "people of the book", if you were a pagan the only "mercy" you got was death. And of course, the Muslims believe that all non-Muslims will burn in Hell, exactly like Christians do, only they don;t generally try to convert because they believe Allah himself has "hardened the hearts" of the unbelievers to make them resistant to conversion to Islam, so that he might have the pleasure of burning them forever.

Of course you don't see it, because you're a liar. You "people" are incapable of honestly judging anything, which is why I despise you as the filth you are.

""The One" (Τὸ Ἕν) is a concept that is prominent in the writings of the Neoplatonists, especially those of the philosopher Plotinus.[113] In the writings of Plotinus, "The One" is described as an inconceivable, transcendent, all-embodying, permanent, eternal, causative entity that permeates throughout all of existence.[114]"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmoved_mover

Try also
>Prime Mover

I don't think that the Christian bible even makes the claim that other gods don't exist; it just states that they're not "true" gods and that you shouldn't worship them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

That didn't popped up when I searched it.

It's a rather convoluted text, is it presenting multiple ideas of the same concept? Because it seems to talk about the same thing from at least 3 different angles: As a single being, as a thing, and as multiple beings.

That last part isn't true. Islam teaches that everyone is born Muslim, and those who follow other faiths were taken away from that natural state by their society and the lies of the clergy of other religions. They welcome and actively seek converts looking to "return" to Islam anyplace they feel proselytizing will be tolerated.

That only includes the most radical of Islamic peoples. That is not the majority of them, I'm modern society at least. I do understand your historical context. I'm sorry I left that out. Or really, misled people based on the incompleteness of my post. I have been tainted by the history books I've read for college chooses, and forget to remember to darker sides of history, that college textbooks neglect to mention.

That differs how exactly from the holy trinity?

What does not true even mean though?

I'm not sure. I'm trying to understand Aristotle's idea on it's own, not trying to compare it to the Christian ideas, just yet anyway.

That they're not the god of man; they're not the god of Genesis.

I'm not the guy who brought it up, just found the link for you desu

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henosis

You may or may not find this interesting