I want to get into philosophy, is there any starting work anyone can recommend?

I want to get into philosophy, is there any starting work anyone can recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

all I know is, don't listen to fags saying start with the greeks
I'm sure theres a good "entry to philosophy" book out there you can find on amazon for like 5 bucks
imo the best route is just googling shit all day, theres probably a philosophy wiki.

Ignore this guy You definitely start seriously with the Greeks, since many philosophers will start referencing previous ideas.

>since many philosophers will start referencing previous ideas.
thats why he starts with an introduction or a wiki that cross links the previous ideas
OP is going to immediately lose interest if he just dives into the republic

Start with the Greeks.

Veeky Forums memes aside, this guy is right.

Start and finish with Stirner

That should bring you up to speed with Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums

marcus aurelius' meditations

Watts

Quine

He is unironically correct about everything

Roger Scrutons A Short History of Modern Philosophy.

>modern philosophy

trash.

Here's the e/lit/ist's autistic guide to philosophy
>docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub

You only read Ancient philosophy?

Plato

I would read Plato's Apology first.

Then, I would try to just get an overview on what the major philosophical movements are, and the gist of them (while understanding it is JUST the gist).
Pick whatever movement interests you most, though, I would avoid the pre-Socratics, German Idealists, some existentialists and more contemporary works until you become more familiar with how texts read and take in some terminology.
The most important thing is that you find yourself in a place you are interested or passionate about before you get to the more nitty-gritty. For the most part, I do not see any reason to go about it in a historically linear manner; Taking in thought
organically may lend you insight others may never gleam.

Also, Veeky Forums has a google doc (linked in ) you can search up which has many major works listed, as well as the best editions, and a way to get them.
Last thing, never be afraid to look at secondary literature. It is hubris to ignore people who have devoted their lives to interpreting modes of thought.

Thanks to everyone.

I kek'd but then I realized Stirnerfag spam is no joke

Like everyone said, follow the start with the Greeks meme. This is important because philosophers build upon previous ideas and Ancient Greek philosophy gets referenced a lot. My suggestion is to start with Pre-Socratics. Start by reading Parmenides and Heraclitus and work your way up from there.

If it helps, maybe consume some really basic stuff before you get into philosophy first? Like watch some short philosophy Youtube videos. They don't go in depth but they could give you an idea of what you're getting into.

Buy a copy of Marcus Aurelius meditations and stick it in your shitter. Every time you take a dump read an entry and try and think about it all day.

I would recommend reading summaries of the arguments presented by philosophers before reading source material as it will give you an idea of what you're reading rather than jumping in blind. (This is especially true of Nietzsche and Jung)

I'd also recommend: Aristotle, Epictetus and some of the Roman statesmen like Cicero (even if he was a douchebag). They were some of the first to start building upon the ideas of the Greek philosophers.

How is pic related as a starter?

Greek Philosophy/Fiction

1. Euthphro - Plato
2. Republic - Plato
3. Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle
4. Poetics - Aristotle
5. The Three Theban Plays: Antigone; Oedipus the King; Oedipus at Colonus - Sophocles
6. The Oresteia: Agamemnon; The Libation Bearers; The Eunmenides - Aeschylus
7. The Iliad - Homer
8. The Odyssey - Homer

Christian Theology/Philosophy

1. Holy Bible
2. Confessions - Saint Augustine
3. City of God - Saint Augustine
4. Selected Writings - Thomas Aquinas

Renaissance Philosophy

1. The Prince - Niccolò Machiavelli
2. Essays - Francis Bacon
3. Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy - René Descartes
4. Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes

Enlightenment Philosophy

1. An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith
2. The Theory of Moral Sentiments - Adam Smith
3. The Social Contract - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
4. A Discourse on Inequality - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
5. An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding - David Hume
6. Philosophical Essays - Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz
7. Two Treatises of Government - John Locke

Age of Ideology

1. Critique of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant
2. Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysic of Morals - Immanuel Kant
3. Reflections on the Revolution in France - Edmund Burke
4. The Phenomenology of Spirit - Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
5. Capital (All volumes) - Karl Marx
6. The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx
7. On Liberty and the Subjection of Women - John Stuart Mill
8. Utilitarianism and Other Essays - John Stuart Mill & Jeremy Bentham
9. The Essential Kierkegaard - Soren Kierkegaard
10. The Wisdom of life - Arthur Schopenhauer
11. The World as Will and Representation - Arthur Schopenhauer
12. Essays and Aphorisms - Arthur Schopenhauer
13. The Portable Nietzsche - Friedrich Nietzsche
14. Basic Writings of Nietzsche - Friedrich Nietzsche

I know I'll get crucified for this but don't go for the primary texts starting off. They can be dry and the vocabularies can be odd and historical context is very important that you might not get from the text. I'd start off with Philosophize This! by Stephen West. It's a podcast about 30-40 minutes of length per episode and goes from the Pre-Socratics to a couple of WWII philosophers. He doesn't just go with what's on the book but background details and history that highlights importance.

>Cicero
>Douchebag

U wot m8

Russell's "A History of Western Philosophy" (1945)

see

Is it good? Is it biased? Can you read it without knowing too much about philosophy?

it is biased of course, where will you find something unbiased written by an Anglo. But it is a good start.

Yeah, it's great. It works well as an introduction I'd say. Especiallly if you're already familiar with general western history, since he's trying to show how societal shifts are reflected in western philosophy.

Not necessarily pure philosophy but I would recommend Euripides' The Bacchae.

It's a Psychodrama about the inner conflict of man and his desire to be above animals and shows what can happen when we suppress our animalistic urges to an unhealthy degree.

You have to remember these plays were performed at Dionysiacs where religious dramas would be performed. It's not theatre as we think of it today.