What are your thoughts on Pol Pot?

What are your thoughts on Pol Pot?

He may be a son of a bitch, but he's our son of a bitch.
t. Sammy

Greatest person who ever lived

He's a god amongst mortals. T.Chomsky.

is there any footage from inside Pol Pot Cambodia?

Arguably the worst dictator of all time

there was, but it was destroyed by western imperialists lest the world learn the truth

The US actually supported Kampuchea against the more conventionally Marxist-Leninist Vietnam in 1979.

t. glass-wearing city dweller

*glasses-wearing

He was the Cambodian Abraham Lincoln. Kept his country together at any cost, even auto-genocide.

Seriously though, do any of you know people who unironically supports Khmer Rouge?

>inb4 Noam Chomsky

if reading glasses got you killed imagine owning a camera

I remember reading an interview with a norwegian death metal band, they were unironically into Pol Pot and Hoxha

Only edgelords. Even Chomsky just sort of awkwardly shuffles his feet now when it's brought up, since the only reason he thought the Khmer Rouge wasn't shit is because the US government said it was shit and they were a nominally communist country. He dismissed it as propaganda since it honestly was some crazy shit, and so did a lot of New Left intellectuals at the time. He stuck with his guns longer than most of them did though, and very rightly got his hands burned.

Everyone ought to go to Cambodia and visit some of the prisons and killing fields. That shit is wrenching. And the country is full of people who are still alive, who survived that. Talking to them is incredibly moving.

I still get angry when I recall how he lived out his life after being deposed, peacefully in a jungle village, and morons still bring flowers to his grave.

>No Khmer Rouge leaders convicted and punished to this day.

I'd rather not step on a mine

Pol... Pot
Pol... Pot
Pol... Pot
Pol... Pot
Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot,
POL POT!

He's what you would get is /pol/ ever successfully took over an entire country.

*if

These days no.

Back in the 70s before his crimes came to light he was liked by far-left academic and celebrity circles like hugo chavez circa 2006.

The United States government.

Just wait the real Nazis actually put /pol/ up against the wall and fucking shot. I'm sure the survivors, if they decided to show mercy to /pol/ would hate real Nazis afterwards.

To what extent did the CIA actually aid the Khmer Rouge?

What did the Unabomber think of him?

Noam Chomsky

Untrue, Nuon Chea was convicted of crimes against humanity and sentenced to life fairly recently for being second in control after Big Pol himself. And I think Ing Sary is set to be tried in the near future. I think he was minister of foreign affairs but i could be wrong

You're wrong on two fronts. Firstly, the USA supported a coup against Sihanouk in order to put Lon Nol, a more malleable anti communist in power. The USA supported his regime against North Vietnam and the Khmer Rouge.
Secondly, once the KR took power, the USA didn't support them and the American electorate was generally disillusioned with another war or intervention in SE Asia. After the Sino Soviet split, the Chinese saw the the Vietnamese as a rival as the Vietnamese remained in the Soviet camp. After the Vietnamese invaded, defeated, occupied and established a puppet regime, the Chinese invaded Vietnam but didn't accomplish much. The USA and Thailand supported the KR who were waging a guerilla war from the northwest border region. This wasn't due to ideological differences on Maoism vs Marxism. This was purely geopolitics as Thailand and Vietnam have competed over the Cambodian buffer zone since the decline of the Angkorean empire. After seeing how Vietnam initially supported communist movements in Laos and Cambodia, the USA and Thailand feared further enlargement of Vietnamese influence. Giving the Vietnamese undisturbed control over Cambodia would have eventually meant Vietnamese support of Thai communists. It's geopolitics meng.
I live and work in a rural Khmer village. I'm only 70km from Phnom Penh but they were still fighting the KR here in the late 80s and early 90s.

Also Comrade Duch, commandant of S-21 torture-prison, was put on trial after his identity came out. He had picked up a career as a traveling minister iirc

The us is the reason the KR was the official government until 1993ish. They were the ones sending a representative to the UN.

>Hoxha
An interesting figure who did a good job keeping Albania a unique country and culture.

We have demographic problems, nazis cant be picky nowadays with their allys.

I'm not denying the USA did that, but you're assertion that it was because Vietnam was an 'orthodox Marxist' regime is false. It was geopolitics. And the Vietnamese initially supported the fledgling Khmer Rouge in its infancy. Even as late as 1978, the Vietnamese government was calling for peace with the Khmer Rouge while the Khmer Rouge was attacking border villages and massacring ethnic Vietnamese

Nearly every Khmer Rouge decision was denoted by five leaders

1.) Pol Pot. Brother #1. May have been murdered just as the Khmer Rouge were disarming

2.) Nuon Chea. Brother #2. Serving a life sentence

3.) Leng Sary. Brother #3. Arrested in 2007 and Died while under trial

4.) Khieu Samphan. Brother #4. Serving a life sentence

5.) Ta Mok. Brother #5. Arrested in 1999 and died while in imprisonment

4.)

If true, this happened VERY recently. When I was there two years ago, nobody had been convicted.

So change that t One Guy has been convicted, I guess.