Tell me again why Latin America shouldn't be considered part of the Western world

Tell me again why Latin America shouldn't be considered part of the Western world.

>Speak Western languages
>Practices Western religions but also has strong secularism
>Its culture is often part of the Western Canon
>Its history is linked with the history of the rest of the Western world

The only reason why anyone can exclude Latin America from the West is because it is "non-white", but as countries in Europe and North America also become non-white countries, is that excuse enough?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/NYdGns
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_crisis_of_1885
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitland_Plan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It is considered part of the Western World. Who the hell even talks about non-white?

Special discourse for history people

discord.gg/NYdGns

hush hush

I think quite often latin america seems to get its own category, even if there's not a solid rationale to distinguish them.

Niggers and jungle niggers

Chile and Argentina are the only ones worth a fuck.

The rest are basically continuing an old Aztec path of war and endless bloodshed and corruption.

Fuck. No.

Because their culture has a lot of native and African influences

So does the United States, Australia and New Zealand, and many European countries also have their own distinguishing "non-Western" influences too, like Arab culture in the Iberian Peninsula or gypsy culture in Eastern Europe.

In Asia they do considered as Westerners

How the fuck is this even remotely Veeky Forums related

It is. It's just not relevant enough to be talked about or taken into consideration in modern politics and economics, and it wasn't before so it didn't affect world history to any significant degree as well, so it's not historically relevant either.

What if they never asked for it.

All Latin American countries are semi-colonial countries with unnormal economics. That isnt "Western world" to my mind.

Its because they are all corrupt shitholes

>& Humanities
Technically everything is related to humanity

Only the dumbest of burgers don't consider Latin America part of the western world. We are literally further west than all of Europe.

Humanities =/= humanity you uneducated scum

>the ABC nations that intervined to stop ANOTHER war between Mexico and the US during the great war have never influenced history.

I can understeand people not knowing about that, but it was pretty significant.

>We are literally further west than all of Europe
But if its only a question about geography why is Australia considered to be part óf the western world?

I think Americans don't want to remember the time when they weren't the clear hegemonic power in th continent.

During the late XIXth century, for example, the greatest power in the Pacific Ocean wasn't the U.S., it was Chile. The theories of Alfred Thayer Mahan were developed as a way to counter this situation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_crisis_of_1885

>In response to the American intervention, Chile sent the protected cruiser Esmeralda to Panama City, arriving on April 28.[2] The Esmeralda's captain was ordered to stop by any means an eventual annexation of Panama by the United States.[3] According to a U.S. publication in August 1885, right after the Panama events, "[The Esmeralda] could destroy our whole navy, ship by ship and never be touched once."[2]

australia is even further west

and China is even further west

>Including the bloody argies and not Uruguay

>I think Americans don't want to remember the time when they weren't the clear hegemonic power in th continent.
They werent. All Latin American countries were founded by British terrorists ("revolutionists") like Bolivar, O'Higgins and others. USA was pressing hardly, but wasnt hegemoic power even in 20 century (pro-British leftists still a thing).

Because 19th and 20th century imperial and nationalistic tendencies made people twist word meanings to mean nothing. But during most of history it was actually very much a question of geography.

People tend to forget that for a long ass time the "us vs them" mentallity was "America vs the old world".

The US was more closely associated with Latin America, and the level of development was very similar if you aren't counting central America which has always been shit. It wasn't until the world wars that the US became relevant on the world stage and started to get more associated with Europe as Latin America turned sour due to internal conflicts and proxy wars between the CIA and the KGB.

The majority of hispanic South America was San Martin's doing, and San Martin was trained and raised in one of Napoleon's military schools. If anything most of South America is the french's doing, just like the US.

t. washington pereira

Revolutions started after Napoleonic wars, when France had been totally fucked and Britain became world hegemon. Napoleon army had a lot of British agents (betrayer Bernadotte is a meme).

>pro-British leftists

Really? I know a lot of Latin American leftists in the 20th century take inspiration in Russia or France, but I've never read about "pro-British" leftists.

British influence in Latin America was strong in the XIXth century, but all but disappeared along the 20th century, even in Argentina which was an informal colony until the 1930s.

Sin rencores, tano. Pero somos tan (si no fuera ese el caso, más) occidentales.

PS: Si sos un sucio porteño capaz sí hay rencores

PPS: Si no encajas en el estereotipo porteño esta todo chill.

>were founded by Masons

Revolutions started officially in 1810 (or maybe earlier), the generals of the revolution were not 2 years old when leading the armies tho.

Porteño y bastante estereotipo. Igual no había hecho el comentario original.

>Uruguay is more western
>Literally, physically, one of the eastern countries in the continent

I'd say Latin America itself refused to become part of the Western world.

During the XIXth century they tried, Facundo, by Domingo Sarmiento is all about how to make Argentina more "Western", and similar developments were going on elsewhere. The "non-Western" influence by them wasn't even native culture by itself, but Spain and Portugal, and the cultural model the Latin American elites aspired to imitate was France.

That was the era when Giuseppe Garibaldi traveled to fight in Brazil, and when Alexandre Dumas was so inspired by a siege in the Uruguayan Civil War that he wrote a book about it. But then in the 20th century a new intellectual elite appeared in Latin America that rejected links with Europe and the Western world, and sought inspiration in native, specially indigenous cultures instead.

It's not a coincidence that at the same time Latin America began its decline towards irrelevance. Rejecting the West was our greatest mistake, made even worse that the embrace of indigenous culture was accompanied by an embrace of revolutionary left-wing politics.

It wasn't just Latin America. The US and Europe started to reject western culture too. The difference is that unlike Europe, or the US, it was actually possible for Latin America to reject the European legacy, as they have always been a mixed culture.

Too much influence from the west intellectuals is what made Latin America reject western values. This was very fast, it happened in less than 50 years, and the unofficial involvement in the cold war made matters even worst, as the communist factions exploited this anti-western sentiment to folster pro-russian sentiment, or more accurately, anti-US sentiment.

Yes, its unexpected, but...
Most clear case - Chile. It was founded by British O'Higgins. Most of copper was belonged to British businessmen firstly. First pro-American president was Balhmaseda, which gave some privilegies to Americans. Then series of coups and civil wars started. All leftist were giving privilegies to British businessmen or trying to nationalise American plants.

Uff, nos podemos llevar bien igual (mientras no seas de tomar Fernet, esa herejía se está arraigando en la noche de Montevideo). Ideología?

Aparte, estaba interesado en saber de fuente anecdótica como está el costo de vida cruzando el río (en relación al cambio de gobierno).

Chile was and still is an exception. They are the most anglonized latin-american country alongside Brazil.

The british influence in Argentina, altough not insignificant, is not nearly as important as it was in Chile, and the british influence in most of Latin America is nearly non-existant unless you count the shitty islands floating around the Caribbean.

Soy relativamente zurdito, lo cual no me impide quejarme de la barbarie que son mis compatriotas provincianos (qué clase de porteño sería?). El costo de vida debe ser más alto que en beverly hills a esta altura, tenemos inflación en dólares hace 10 años.

Para de hablar como un idiota por favor.

Todo el país se ríe de los porteños que vivieron con los subsidios pagados de la plata que no le mandaron a los gobiernos provinciales por los últimos 10 años y ahora se tienen que comer un aumento en precios del 500% de golpe.

Sin rencores, lo juro.

>being "Western" has anything to do with geography

For example Uruguay secularized in 1918, while iirc in Argentina there are still christian symbols in Public hospitals.

Uruguay had already established a mandatory and secular system of public education in the late XIX c. In the first decades of the XX century it would introduce universal suffrage (first for all men, a tad later for females too being the second country in the world to do such a thing iirc), a working welfare state and nationalization of many services (previously owned by the brits which provided shit service and criminal fees, now it was all being handled by state run companies with no will to turn a profit out of foreigners...)

Do you know that Chile-Argentina territorial dispute was solved by British king? Or how "dead empire" fucked Argentina for some icelands? Or how many Brazilian olygarchs dealed with London?
Absolute majority of Latin American coups and civil wars were between American followers and some "force", which can be left. There are some memes about leftists and USSR, but they were strong even in 19 century - then Russia had nothing there, but Britain was global superpower. There a lot of other small, but numerous facts - for example, Britain had more property in Brazil of 1940 than USA. Or had never figtinh against British, Australian, Canadian, Sweden monarchies.

t. Maradona

Ridículo, tanto Capital como Buenos Aires aportan muchísimo más y reciben muchísimo menos de coparticipación que el resto de las provincias en relación a su población. Igual no me sorprendería que el resto del país se ría de algo que es falso porque está lleno de trogloditas.

Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile = west.

And as the other user said, when the Eastern sees everything else as West, we can't do much. Same religion, same ethnic groups, same language, same nigger problem...

Acá el costo de vida siempre fue superior al de allá creo. Una compañera de laburo que vivió en BsAs hace unos años me contaba que con el equivalente a 400 pesos de acá pagaba la luz. Mientras que acá bien que te pueden venir tres mil de factura.

Yo supongo me tildaría de social-demócrata si tengo que hacerlo. Pero no creo que un espectro líneal de izquierda-derecha sirva pa un carajo. Simplificar algo tan complejo como ideología en una recta es estúpido pero sirve a efectos prácticos. La izquierda para un yanqui es Bernie Sanders mientras que allá son unos montoneros recalcitrantes que todavía quieren la dictadura del proletariado.

Es que justo la luz no es parámetro, amigo yorugua. Con zurdito me refería a social demócrata también.

>All of these memes that Europe didn't adopt until the imperial age make you more western.

>Do you know that Chile-Argentina territorial dispute was solved by British king?

One of many, another one was solved by the papacy, does that mean the pope was infiltrated in Latin American politics? (I mean he sure as hell is now but that's besides the point)

>Or how "dead empire" fucked Argentina for some icelands?

In 1980, and they would of done literally nothing about it if Margaret Tatcher wasnt' really desperate for a propagandistic boost.

>Or how many Brazilian olygarchs dealed with London?

Like modern day olygarchs deal with the US.

The british presence in southern Argentina is in big part of people from Irish and Wales, they mostly settled in Patagonia escaping from persecution, so not exactly evil british spies. Some corporations during the late 19th century and early 20th century decided to move there too, but the vast majority of them got kicked out pretty fast after the first fascists government took over a couple of decades afterwards. And even before that, Argentina's politicians had always been Germanophiles.
If you fast forwards to the XX century you do start seeing the anglos start messing with South American politics, but it isn't the British, it is the Americans, and the Malvinas/Falklands conflict in part happens because the Argentinian government tough the Americans, being their unofficial patrons, would for whatever reason side with them.

>Argentinian government tough the Americans, being their unofficial patrons, would for whatever reason side with them.
Exactly. They were sure, that USA was against Britain. But USA couldnt risk to start direct war because Britian had nuclear weapons.
Another obvious British-American conflict was Grenada. "Decolonised", but still member of British Commonwealth, it was attacked by USA and defended by Cuban/Soviet "volunteers". USA vs Britain+leftists.

It is part of NATO?
Then you have your answer

By the way, your criteria can apply to any ex-colony

You'll have to excuse me for mistakes, the only knowledge of the Grenada conflict that I have is what I just quickly looked up on Google.

But it seems to me like this was just another NATO vs USSR conflict. The prime minister had been executed by a communist coup. So for this conflict to be USA vs UK it would of required some form of cooperation between the USA and the USSR to stage the coup in the first place.

>For example Uruguay secularized in 1918, while iirc in Argentina there are still christian symbols in Public hospitals.
How is that relevant?
Christian symbols are still a thing in many public hospitals, schools, passports in Europe.

The only ones who give a shit about those memes are autistic fedoras who think that's what it's all about.

fuck off, you're just taking away people from here to your failing discord.

Well, it was typical fate of British "decolonisation".
It was announced as independent state. Power went to average leftist - it always explained as anti-colonial struggle. My conception - regime remained British puppet. Leftists havent stopped membership in British Commonwealth.
Then power went to radical leftists - its the way to establish strong puppet dictatorship and isolate country from USA (like Cuba). USA attacked, USSR and Cuba tryed to prevent it by limited engagement.

Elegiría a un uruguayo por sobre vos cualquier día

No lo dudo, mi salvaje provinciano.

>So does the United States, Australia and New Zealand
Not nearly to the extent latin America does
>many European countries also have their own distinguishing "non-Western" influences too
Yes, but they're European.

What would Latin America be like if San Martin and Bolivar had been successful in creating a united south America, under a constitutional monarchy?

>They wanted to make the descendants of the last Inca the monarch.

>Aztecs
>South America
at least get your shit right

Guess what happens when you go even FURTHER West than the Americas? Is Japan "Western"?

OP said Latin America

Only from the perspective of the Americas. But we all use the European glasses here in America.

It would have fallen apart quickly because the logistics of such of nation are mind longingly impossible in this time unless it was a super loose confederation.

It's considered the western world. The Eastern world is stuff like East Asia.

Yeah but that dude said all but Argentina and Chile which includes most of South America you temporary fool

Nice projection

No you dense faggot, he said that OF THE LATIN AMERICAN COUNTRIES, only Chile and Argentina are worth a shit. You are the moron here, not that other user.

Why did south america break into a fuckton of countries again? Peru used to be huge

Also have to remember that most south American nations were all once french, Spanish and Portuguese nations. And after most of them began wanting independence their founding states fell apart. One of the things the north had was stable trade and diplomatic relationships with strong nations in europe. Like France and England and Germany. South America didn't have that. And to take it a step further mainland Spain always viewed colonists from Latin america to be inferior, even if they were pure blooded Spaniards as well.

Masons

Because it's too poor. You're looking for reason and consistency where there is none. The idea of the 'west' implies prosperity, peace and advanced technology but latin american countries from the viewpoint of 'westerners' in Europe or wherever lack those qualities. Not to mention Latin America has its own media sphere.

What a huge pile of masonic lies. Buenos Aires was a huge economic hub back then and that is why British tried to invade ut twice. Peru was extremelly important and recieved plenty of artists,mainly from Italy. And both Caracas and Bogota were extremelly relevant trade wise. Specially for the gold trade and the production of a lot of crops.And the meme that they were seen as inferior is a masonic lie started by Bolivar and San Martin.

I know this is going to sound like /pol/ at first but bear with me.

I think educated people generally accept that Latin America is part of the western world but i think the general consensus if you asked most Americans would be a resounding no. The reason I think that is the case is that American liberals dont want to accept how white Latin America is. Its not entirely their fault, since the vast majority of Mexican immigrants are significantly darker (still not really that dark though) compared to the rest of the Latin American population leading American liberals to erroneously declare them and treat them as a separate race.
However if you really look at the numbers, The largest nations, Brazil and Argentina, are about 50% and 85% white respectively. Black people are the majority in literally none of the countries and their numbers rarely rise higher than 20-25%.
My point in all this is that American liberals want a demographic change DESPERATELY to alleviate their white guilt, and since a lot of immigrants now, and the projected overwhelming majority of immigrants in the future, are latin americans they want to do everything they can to deny their european and white heritage.
>inb4 Latin American white isnt the same as USA white
For the most part it literally and unironically is. I understand some people are going to have a hard time accepting the more mixed looking people as white, but if swarthy Spaniards, Italians, and Greeks are all considered white there is literally no reason to deny Latin America the same status.

Nice shitposting.

Do you have a single quote of either of them where they state such a thing? You moron? San Martin and Bolivar were basically the only people that knew what they were doing and were willing to compromise, and ultimately that was their downfall.

Holy fuck you are a deluded burger.Most are closer looking to chinks than to actual europeans

Both were masons.They were just puppets as they were massive brainlets.Everyone that knew Bolivar thought that he was borderline retarded.
All their strategies came from the London lodge and Riego doing masonic things to destabilize Spain.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitland_Plan

anyone who thinks like that is either stupid or didn't learn basic geography

so tell me burger, that the american government is not corrupt just like the rest?

sheesh,typical stupidity

>Good thing I'm not a burger

It's probably excluded because it's relatively poor.

Brainlet

>i think the general consensus if you asked most Americans would be a resounding no

How can you make such a poll, when the world knows that burgers don't know about geography,
you're all basically stupid outside your country

I CALL BULLSHIT

for fuck sake they didn't even know where poland is, until they get their Iphone then just google that shit up,,

You are taking conspiracy theories that might or might not be truth as facts. And then you are using them as "proof" of things completely unrelated.

The term white is very loose.Maradona and Veron are """white"""" but they obviously have nigger and native ancestry.Also in Brazil people like Ronaldo and Neymar consider themselfs white when they are mulattos

It is not a conspiracy theory.The masonic lodge of London trained Miranda and Bolivar when he stayed in London frequented the masonic lodge where he knew Miranda.San Martin was heavily linked to masonry which is pretty obvious if you observe the imagery of Argentina and Uruguay which is based on masonic symbols.Like the colors blue and white and that weird looking sun.You should read about the topic.

There are multiple studies by multiple organizations. 3/4 are not self-reported.

Besides just because someone looks like they might be of a different race because they've destroyed themselves trough the use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol does not mean they are genetically of that other race.

3 words OP: Mestizos, mulattoes and amerindians. Too much of it. Latin America will never be the West except maybe the Europeanized countries like Argentina or Chile.

San Martin joined a club that might or might not be related to masonry, but he did so only a couple of years before the revolution started. This isn't some grand conspiracy by the British. The British didn't even gave the revolutionaries any economy support, despite the fact that they were specifically asked to.

At most they backed it politically, just like the french did, because it was in their interest, but the revolutions in Latin America had already been in the minds of the people for decades prior to the actual war starting.

And no, the white and blue colors in the Argentine flag are most likely due to those being the colors of the Spanish royal house. Just like the colors in the US flag are the way they are because of the British flag colors. Everyone wanted for Spain to just leave as chill as possible, and they had no interest in pursuing further conflict against them after guaranteeing independence, and those kinds of silly little gestures were how people signaled this back then. Hell, San Martin even supported the idea of assigning a Monarch to Argentina, and in his mind what would hopefully become the latin american united provinces.

>Besides just because someone looks like they might be of a different race because they've destroyed themselves trough the use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol does not mean they are genetically of that other race.
Pal do you seriously think that Veron looks European? He is white in Argentinaa

>San Martin joined a club that might or might not be related to masonry, but he did so only a couple of years before the revolution started. This isn't some grand conspiracy by the British. The British didn't even gave the revolutionaries any economy support, despite the fact that they were specifically asked to.
His plan was pulled out of the London lodge and until Riego's coup (another mason) he was totally fucked.The revolution had full British support.Financial support than then was repayed by the new formed states through silver shipping from Peru to London and the British navy was key for the invasion of Peru.
>And no, the white and blue colors in the Argentine flag are most likely due to those being the colors of the Spanish royal house. Just like the colors in the US flag are the way they are because of the British flag colors. Everyone wanted for Spain to just leave as chill as possible, and they had no interest in pursuing further conflict against them after guaranteeing independence, and those kinds of silly little gestures were how people signaled this back then. Hell, San Martin even supported the idea of assigning a Monarch to Argentina, and in his mind what would hopefully become the latin american united provinces.
Pal all are masonic symbols.Why the fuck do you think the ugly as fuck sun comes from? You just bought the bullshit that your goverment shoved you as kid.San Martin was a British puppet, a genocider and most importantly a coward.But obviously they don't teach you this in your country as it will kill one of the few national symbols that it has.You probably didn't even know who Riego was until I told you

He has a nigger-tier sense of fashion, but so do lots of white people in the US and Europe.

He looks slightly arab, and if he is, that would still make him fully Caucasian. He doesn't look particularly black to me outside of hair styling.

To be part of the west you can't be a commie traitor and you can't be anti western and you can't stay out of every conflict from fear.

Fuck those pussies.

>He looks slightly arab, and if he is, that would still make him fully Caucasian. He doesn't look particularly black to me outside of hair styling.
He looks like a dominican mulatto

Because they're shitholes

Are you one of those people who unironically believes the jews control the world trough a secret government?

O'Higgings wasn't British, he was most likely of Irish ascendance, and if he was, no doubt he was descended from the Irish and Welsh that settled in South America fleeing British persecution. And none of the things I've told you are from school, the school version is just another overly romanticized myth like the ones Americans tell their kids about the founding fathers.

The only arab remnants in the iberian peninsula are buildings and some spanish words of arab origin.

And part of the spanish pool genetics of course.

There are more arab influence on the balkans.

Humanities

He has a nigger-tier haircut, and his skin is dark from sun exposure. His facial features, however, do not look particularly black or amerindian to me.