As a teen I worked at a restaurant for minimum wage. Other than my mandatory 10 minute break...

As a teen I worked at a restaurant for minimum wage. Other than my mandatory 10 minute break. I worked every second of my 6 hour shifts. If there wasn't anything to do. Make something to do. If there literally wasn't anything to do then someone was told to clock out. Now I work at a real company. Doing maintenance on machines for night shift. When I clock on I check the machines. Then I'm on standby bye until something else breaks or it's time for another check. Some nights I have like 2 hours to just do nothing and I can watch Netflix, play games, or sleep and no one cares. Then check machines and go back to doing nothing. So can someone from a business owner perspective explain to me why an employer is more willing to pay me $35 an hour to do nothing than $7 an hour?

Same experience

The lower the wage, the harder the labor. Not sure why

Simple its your skillset, supply and demand. There's more people out there who can work a basic restaurant job than whatever job it is that you currently do.

Do you have unique competences which make yourself somehow unique?
Can someone else check on these machines?

when you have a more specialized skill set you can make a lot more money with a lot less work.

No. But I don't understand why a minimum wage employer wouldn't let us do nothing but I can do nothing for hours on end

Because life is a scam.

The lowest paid jobs are the shittiest, least respectable and downright awful in every sense of the word. People working in Factories get paid fuckall, have no room to move up anywhere and get treated like shit. Whereas the retarded officedrone does nothing for 3/4 of the day, and gets his healthcare benefits and everything else.

Cause there is a line a thousand people long of degenerate minimum wage bodies that can fill your position at a minimum wage job.

Believe it or not, no matter how easy your job is, finding someone who can pass a drug test, add 2+2, and show up to work on time almost every day already rules out about 75% of the population, not even fucking with you. Throw on top of that the requirement of people willing to dedicate years learning a specialized skill, and you are down to

How come most min wage employees are teenagers?

>rules out about 75% of the population
That's just retarded user. You aren't competing with fucking 1 billion chinese and 1 billion indians. You are competing with people from your city, who most likely are all capable of doing what you said.

That's actually not true. In theory scrub-tier jobs will be filled by young, inexperienced workers, but the majority of people working in those positions are actually much older.

Percentages are way off but user is pretty much correct.

they aren't.

most are adults.

When I worked at a restaurant I don't think anyone on our staff was older than 23 (minus the owners)

I was being a little dramatic, it's probably closer to half though. And nah, a lot of good jobs in my area that can't get filled because people can't pass drug tests, add the requirement of being able to solve problems and wake up before noon on top of it and you would honestly rule out a very significant portion of the population.

They aren't. Also, older people learn how to play the system and collect disability and withdraw from the workforce altogether, or they would represent a larger percentage than they already do.

I don't do drugs, and I can get up before noon. Can I get a good job?

In my experience you should be able to land something making $15+ an hour that is better than fast food relatively easily if you look around enough, but to get a job like OP you will need to learn a skill as well.

Can you speak another language?

because anyone can do it. anyone can walk in a be a waiter or work at mcdonalds. to check machines or whatever you need knowlege on the subject

which types of jobs ? i dont do drugs and i work on time. Where's this kind of job ? i could go to USA...

margins basically. I bet the place you work at now makes crazy profit from whatever the machines are making/producing so paying someone well to keep the cash cranking out is an obvious move.

restaurants have very slim margins and need to pump up prices on things like sodas.

>Tfw office drone
>Tfw listen to music all day and shitpost while doing as little as possible
>Tfw boss thinks I'm great

What's your job user

So that means unemployment is 75 percent? Okay

Are you guys seriously that stupid? Because of knowledge.

Any fuckwit can come in and work a register or push a broom - in theory. Every shit minimum wage job had so many halfwits barely capable of getting themselves to work everyday at a reasonable time ready to work, it was frightening. Part of the reason why I'm against a 15/hr federal minimum wage, those stupid 40yr old cunts that can't get their shit together will be unemployed permanently and we'll have a massive crime problem creeping up over the next decade.
But not everyone has the chops to work a complicated piece of machinery - much less a machine that costs someone a thousand bucks for every minute it's down. Not everyone can be an accountant. Not everyone has the skill set to program.

Yes, in general as you move up there's less minutia and tedious bullshit, because at that level experience and knowledge are what count. Sound decisions. Leadership.

Goddamn OP, you landed that job and you're still clue less about why you're paid for what you do?

You're a stupid fucker.

Factory workers that actually do skilled work make BANK. it's the people sweeping the floors for minimum wage that get the shit end of the stick, because guess what, ANYONE CAN DO IT.

I can tell you've never worked in any kind of manufacturing plant, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

This is the fucking truth. I've been at the bottom rungs and the middle rungs and slowly going up to the top (last year finally got in a position to hire season help at the place I work as an accountant)

Just getting someone who isn't a compete retard that can pass a drug test is fucking HARD. It's amazing sometimes to see the vast dregs of humanity that's out there.

I never felt like I was particularly smart or talented, or driven. But compared to the average twenty something fuckwits I've had to interview and interact with over the past few years? Christ, I feel like the dude from the Profit or something. And I'm a lazy weed smoking degenerate FFS.

Factory worker here. The pay is pretty shitty starting out, but once you actually establish yourself (operating machines, filling your role) then the cash starts flowing in.

Most people are total shit. My friend works at a large retailer, easily the hardest worker there.

Everytime I see them they tell me no one else there does anything but dick around.

Most of them are drunk / high at work.

Low standards go both ways-- you get what you pay for

Fluent in Spanish, Japanese. Only somewhat proficient in Mandarin, because I only studied on my dad's suggestion and I don't like the way it sounds. I have a lot of free time, and a weird innate ability to comprehend languages.

dude. People will literally pay you to speak other languages and nothing more. book and movie companies will hire you to translate books or make subtitles for tv and movies. (if you speak japanese try getting into subbing anime) but if you want to make a lot of money you're gonna want to be an interpreter for government stuff.

because your skills are more scarce

Same fucking kek. He even said I work fast. I am allowed to work at home 4 days a week and I sleep until 12 a clock on those days. Normally I have to be up at 9 but nobody seems to give a shit

I don't do fuck all and only do the necessary things and I'm still fast for some reason

Ah I see. Makes sense. This OP

I've worked in a factory before. It's not a good environment to work in. Lots of noise, unpleasant odors, and no AC.

life is a fucking scam.

True, it's usually not. But you're also generally paid accordingly.

Labor theory of value BTFO

used to work at amazon, weekends only
My job wasn't normal, I would be at a laptop the whole time tasked with managing inventory.
In my 10 hour shift, I would do 1 hour of work, 9 hours of homework, reading news, naps in the bathroom and just staring at my computer.

Some jobs are just a joke I guess, had the complete opposite experience at FedEx

Markets are inherently inefficient including the labor market and this is excluding the artificial roadblocks implemented to keep the upper class jobs safe.

>So can someone from a business owner perspective explain to me why an employer is more willing to pay me $35 an hour to do nothing than $7 an hour?
Your responsibilities. If something goes wrong, and you have to be called out, and it takes you an hour to get there, it could cost your employer/their client tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands. Weighed up against paying you $200 a day to prevent that..

Also you get what you pay for.

I am a supervisor who is in a hiring position in my company, and the drug test problem is real.

I tell everyone that I interview that they have to have a clean drivers license (2 points or less in my state) and have to be able to pass a drug test. My experience is that at least 75% of the people that even get past the interview fail the drug test. This isn't even for a min wage job, just a introductory level job making 35k a year.

Add into that the number of people who apply to the job then never show up for their interview. Or people who pass and I try to hire then decide they don't want the job. Or take the job and stop showing up after a few days or a week. It's completely frustrating and a total waste of my time.

We are talking about adults who are over 21 since the company's insurance won't cover anyone younger driving a company vehicle. I really wish my boss would just let me use a temp agency or someone else to screen applicants.

Jesus christ I hope this is the future we're geared toward. I know it sucks but only 15 years of your life are to be a child, so you might as well get your kid prepared for their adulthood. Too many kids are raised in a childhood on a whole new level compared to previous decades.

Just replying to myself to add something quick.

Interviewing and hiring people is by far the worst part of my job. It's time consuming and unrewarding. If I go through the whole process perfectly and hire a good employee my bosses just consider it normal. If I interview a bunch of morons that I turn down they get annoyed that I'm not filling a position quickly enough. If I pass people through the interview and they fail drug tests my bosses get pissed because they are paying for all those drug tests.

That and dealing with some of these people is just mind numbing. People show up to a job interview in basketball shorts and a tank top. Or smell like they haven't showered in a week. Or take 40 mins to fill out a two page form allowing us to perform a background check.

I swear a good number of them just apply to get turned away just so they can report to welfare or whatever that they are 'seeking employment'

Responsabilities and on demand skills.

Not everyone knows how to repaid a computer, everyone knows how to carry a plate.
You have responsabilities here, a group of computers and machines and stuff, while when you carry plate, well, not so much.

You have a skill. That's it.
Supply and demand.

I don't do drugs or screw around and can't get a job. This is following years of being self-employed doing ebay solo; it isn't a good look apparently or I'm not doing a great job of selling myself. Should I bother with a temp agency or something? Generally competent, no special skills. At this point I can't think of another decently fast way to start working a not totally shitbitch job other than maybe jump in feet first into teaching.

How do you become an office drone? I'm very curious/ interested. What degree do you have?

I just don't know anymore, where I live the whole workforce has become an complete mess, it's this supposed to be normal?

There a huge demand for qualified labor, and unskilled labor, but here's the thing.

The skilled labor, barely gets paid, you do overtime all the fucking time, turnover is insane but the companies aren't doing ANYTHING to keep workers, instead they're bitching at the government to let them hire immigrants.

The unskilled labor is even worse, 14+ hour shifts are not uncommon, there's a huge gap in the workforce, but they can't even find anyone willing to work anymore.

On top of that any job that's not dog shit usually requires connections.