What's the oldest city you've been to? I've never left the states so it's D.C. for me

What's the oldest city you've been to? I've never left the states so it's D.C. for me

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent#History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Vienna I think.

Athens

You've never been in any other big town on the eastern seaboard? Like New York? They are older
Luxor for me I guess

Hong Kong

Athens

Ilium

Probably San Diego. Is there another US town west of the Mississippi founded before 1769?

I've never left my hometown.
So I guess Vancouver.

London for myself. My dad has been to Damascus.

Are you a Syrian refugee

My dad and his buddy travel the world to see trains in other countries. They went to Syria back in 2000.

Persepolis

Where the fuck did you come from that Hong Kong is older than where you live in?

Either Paris or Genoa

t b h I thought Hong Kong was a lot older than it is

Been to the ancient Lycian cities, if we're counting ones that are still alive then I'm going to have to go with London

this post is a troll, DC is NOT the oldest city in this nation

London or Paris
Which ever is oldest

My money's on London!

no, but it's the oldest I've been to.

you must be pretty far the heck out west, even my little non-new england town is older than the capital

Oklahoma

Paris maybe?

In the US, that st. augustine city in florida

either paris or pisa

couldn't find exact dates in the 5min I was looking for them

Ephesus

Cuzco, Peru. Founded in the 13th century.

Which is older of London, Paris, and Zurmat?

The city i live is at least 2000 years old.

El Paso is 1680. A lot of the Texas towns and cities are really old (for America.)

Paris is about 100 years older then London.

Knossos on Crete

The settlement that developped into the city I live is almost 2000 old and it definitely was a modest town by the 2nd century.

I guess some cities of the Iberian Peninsula I've been are older, like Porto for instance...

Kyoto.

split

There was a settlement 4000BC in my hometown in Italy, but I guess Mantova? Preroman gaulic city, but really any city qualifies

It's not a city but the village I live in is known to have predated the Romans, and given its flat land position near a river I could honestly see it having been inhabited since the Bronze Age

Siem Reap, 802 AD

>What's the oldest city you've been to?
It's so fucking hard to answer that. I mean it's pretty fucking hard to establish when a city becomes such. My hometown's traditional date of foundation is 1185BC, archeologically confirmed too. But what about cities whose foundation and earliest inhabitation don't match? Like Paris, there's like a 2000 years gap between the romans founded Lutetia Parisiorum and the earliest attested settlement.
I can't even look at the oldest cities lists because they're so lacking it beggars belief.

just look at confirmed documents that state that there was a permanently inhabited settlement.
If you take archaelogical findings into account a lot more cities would be considered way older. Read about Heidelberg (I live near HD) that they found stuff dating back to 3000BC but after that there was a rather long period of no settlements whatsoever up to the roman time

>just look at confirmed documents that state that there was a permanently inhabited settlement.
But just very very few cities have that, and the lists I can find are so idiotically lacking it beggars belief (like the wikipedia ones, I mean jesus fuck half of Europe is older than half the cities on their list). Where am I supposed to look this stuff up?

Palermo

Probably Amman. I don't recall visiting sites.

almost every german city or even small towns / villages have documentary evidence which is used to determine the founding date.
Other than that I'd look for archaelogical evidence for a permanent settlement

Athens, Greece.

It's nice but hot and the people are not without their social quirks. Athenians think their city is crowded but I didn't have the heart to tell them that there were metro areas in the states with the pop of their whole country. Obviously lots of Veeky Forums related stuff both in and within driving distance of the city.

seattle is at least 4000 years old.

I think they say that cause around a third of the entire country's population live there.

Chicago

>Tfw oldest shit around you is from 1830s

J U S T
U
S
T

Istanbul

My hometown Palermo.

Rome

Heraklion on Crete. If you take it for palace of Knossos continuation it's pretty old.

Iraklion is the port of Knossos, it's not Knossos itself.

>Is there another US town west of the Mississippi founded before 1769?

Santa Fe, New Mexico was founded in 1610. If you include native settlements you could find some several times that old.

Rome

Yeah, Luxor here too. Ancient Thebes is old as fuck. Also been to Knossos, Troy, Mycenae, Sparta, Athens etc.

Rome, but I'll be visiting Havana this summer

Skopje, inhabited since forever i guess.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent#History my hometown is apparently pretty old... also been to a lot of the european capitals and major cities and a couple outside of europe...

Knossos, Crete

St Augustine.

I've never left the states either. But the town I live in was founded in 1719 so that's something I guess.

São Paulo

Probably Rome. I've been to a few other cities in Europe but I'm guessing that's the oldest one I've visited.

Xi'an and/or Rome

Rome, although most of the south here is pretty old too

Buffalo, New York.

Yeah it's shallow but at least it's the site of a famous assassination of a politician

Athens, Rome, my own town is pretty old:

"The area around Worthing has been populated for at least 6,000 years and contains Britain's greatest concentration of Stone Age flint mines, which are some of the earliest mines in Europe. Lying within the borough, the Iron Age hill fort of Cissbury Ring is one of Britain's largest."

Budapest

Phillipopolis modern day Plovdiv, my hometown. One of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world, it was established in something like 6000 BC. An entire Greco-Roman city survives underneath the modern street level.

You can't see some pretty antique shit in Marseille due to the city being established by Phoenicians in 600BC, that's older than Paris.

can see*

Mexico City

Either Rome or Marseille, not sure which is older.

What IS the oldest city in the world? Something like Baghdad? Cairo?

Probably Cartago in Costa Rica, country where I live.

It was founded in 1563 and was the first successful Spanish settlement in the region. It was the capital until 1823 when a small civil war started and it lost its status to San Jose.

Cartago is famous locally for the pilgrimage to the "Virgen de los ángeles" called "la romería" which occurs every august 1st. Around one million people from all over the country walk from their houses to pay homage to the Virgin Mary.

The building pictured is the Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels, built in 1639 and center of the "romería".

Beijing or Kyoto, I don't remember which is older.

Still inhabited or abandoned, continuously inhabited or abandoned and then resettled?

Mexico City

I'd say still inhabited is the most interesting because you could visit the place yourself today

St. Augustine, FL, USA.
Pensacola, too.

1. Damascus, Syria ~ 11 000 BC
2. Jericho, West Bank ~ 7000 BC
3. Aleppo, Syria ~ 7000 BC
4. Athens, Greece ~ 7000 BC
5. Argos, Greece ~ 7000 BC
6. Plovdiv, Bulgaria ~ 6000 BC
7. Byblos, Lebanon ~ 4000 BC
8. Sidon, Lebanon ~ 4000 BC
9. Rayy, Iran - 3000 BC
10. Jerusalem - 2000 BC

continuously habited: Byblos in Lebanon might not be first but is over 7000 years old, so definitely one of the oldest that you can still visit to this day

fucking a homeboy! This is a Renaissance house build on top of a medieval city wall which was build on top of a Roman city wall on top of a Thracian city wall, let that sink in.

NYC for me, really want to get out of the states sometime though.

Helsinki, but unfortunately little of its ancient glory remains from before the Hyper War.

How did that survive communism?

Damascus
Jerusalem
Alexandria
Luxor
Syracuse
Rome
Taranto
Sidon

My favorite is Petra, if it counts

Rome. Marseille is late 6th century. I think

Just how many cities named Carthage or a variation are there?

rome

Paris

It's a common misconception that commies razed everything and replaced it with commieblocks (they might have elsewhere but definitely not in here). In fact the majority of restoration, excavation and preservation works were done during the communist period. The way I see it, multiculturalism being their meme, they tried their best to bring out preserve the rich cultural history of the city.

Rome

Tucurrique, Nicoya, Turrialba, Barva, Escazú, etc, were founded almost 1000 years ago, tho, and if we are talking about Nicoya it was founded 2300 years ago. THAT Cartago is not even the oldest Cartago, lol, and not even the first oldest Spanish settlement which still remains.

In the world, Rome. In my home country, Cologne. In my home state, I guess Osnabrück or Brunswick, not sure which one is older.

Commie apologists are the worst.
They destroyed plenty of older building for the bloc neighbourhoods.

And I'm no fan of the commies however this is simply not the fucking case with Plovdiv. I implicitly states that I am not talking about any other place.

So did and do capitalists

Thanks for the data, I've been to all of those. As a Cucksta Rican I mostly consider "cities" a few and those we call towns so they didn't even crossed my mind.