Was Dark Ages really that backward or just a meme to degrade Christianity?

Was Dark Ages really that backward or just a meme to degrade Christianity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cqzq01i2O3U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was no more backward than barbarian Europe.

they where a big step backwards culturally and and the focus on this judaeo-roman end time cult prevented western society from advancing for centuries.
Good thing this is over now.
>also sage, we have way to many christcuk threads on this board

The concept of dark ages was born as a period of little artistic value. Initially it meant just for latin literature, then expanded to fine arts in general.
From this point of view, yeah the dark ages were real.

That said, the whole period was blown way out of proportion by the cancer that is enlightenment and 19th century "historiography", so yes, you can also say that it was pretty much a meme to degrade christianity (or the church more like).

No, but it does wander the basins of a small number of attractors

This.

The "Dark Ages" saw advances in everything from agriculture to economic theory to architecture. The "Dark Ages" saw the founding of the first universities. The "Dark Ages" saw the development of international law and local rule.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cqzq01i2O3U

Well no wonder when you live in a society where you have to fight for all progress against a powerful church that tries to slow down progress in science and society as good as it can.

>dark ages church
>powerful
TOP FUCKING KEK

Ask Petrarch. He coined the term.

>Well no wonder when you live in a society where you have to fight for all progress against a powerful church that tries to slow down progress in science and society as good as it can.
this is a stupid meme, especially considered that many of the faction who push it used to think that evolution was a capitalists conspiracy theory. Now they deny the only redundant findings in psychology (IQ and other psychometrics) and social studies (racial diversity reduces social capital). There's also the race creationism.

You're right about the dark ages but I'm curious why you think the enlightenment is cancer. I don't disagree that there are aspects of it that are flawed, I'm just curious to your reasons.

>I'm curious why you think the enlightenment is cancer.
I don't. There's lots of stuff I don't like about it, but I only meant that its historiography is canceours.
And the reason for that is simply that it's astoundingly biased while pretending to be all rational and impartial. At least court chroniclers were unabashedly treying to please their employer. Enlightenment historians were basically /pol/ with a different ideology.

The dark ages is used for the time between the fall of the WRE and Carolingian renaissance and not the entire period till the beginning of the renaissance . It was ultimately the consequence of the Rome in the west finally dying and bloody wars in Italy. You may argue the fall was caused by Christianity, thinking the world soon will end don't help when you are trying to keep an empire intact.

Lel that may be why the church excluded the apocalypse from the canon at first until they figured out it could be used to scare people.

>church tries to slow down progress in science
Then how come so many medieval scientists were part of it?

>The concept of dark ages was born as a period of little artistic value.

LATINBOOS OUT!

Let's be serious here. That stuff is fucking pitiful compared to greco-roman and renaissance art.

Yes, there were many advances specially in the medical field, warfare and agriculture. The problem was everything was divided into tiny feuds, so information couldn't spread as quickly. The problem was not christianity, but the times. Europe has been just as christian throughout the modern ages.

WRONG

>As the accomplishments of the era came to be better understood in the 19th and 20th centuries, scholars began restricting the "Dark Ages" appellation to the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century)

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)

The Universities came after the Dark Ages, and even then were pathetic to many Madrasas in the Muslim World. Regarding agriculture, most of the world was still less advanced than Rome up until the 19th century. Yeah, they had advancements, but they only advanced into areas the Romans already knew of.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology

>>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology
>After the Renaissance of the 12th century, medieval Europe saw a radical change in the rate of new inventions

See >scholars began restricting the "Dark Ages" appellation to the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century)

>church tried to prevent progress
>pretty much all medieval scientists and philosophers were priests

Pick one and only one

To keep them under control and slow down progress.

wait
the bible wasnt put together at nicea?

It was an invention of Romaboos during the renaissance, solidified by Hellaboos during the Enlightenment.

The "dark ages" (no security, mass migration, aliens and their influence tearing your world apart, stagnancy, lack of communication between the world spheres) were well underway more than a century before the Roman empire's actual fall in the west. Furthermore, Christian Byzantium (they called themselves Romans) remained strong and the cultural and economic center of the western world, even having such reach as to be chronicled by China.

This was the age of Vandals making their way from the forests of Germany to establish a kingdom out of thin air in Africa, of Britain forging its destiny by blood, as the heartland of an empire, of Charles Martel turning back an alien horde poised sweep all of Christendom, of Norsemen sailing to parts unknown and establishing settlements that would someday be known as Russia and Ukraine, Charlemagne ending the petty pagan kingdoms to establish the beginnings of modern Christian states.

This was not a black mark on humanity's record. This was when some of the west's greatest leaders and philosophers made their mark on history, and it still resonates today.

Basically the Pax romana was stagnancy. When that was over, and Rome ran out of funds to function as a monolithic, all-powerful state, that stagnancy of state and of people was over. The dark ages were a long transition, but by no means a downward spiral.

nope

The problem is that people often conflate the Dark Ages with the Middle Ages. Was their a dark age after the fall of Western Rome (which is gradual)? Perhaps. But it certainly didn't span the whole of the Medieval age which saw all sorts of advancements and cultural projections.

And of course this should be implied by the dark ages refers specifically to Western Europe. The ERE didn't fall under a dark age.

This sums it up pretty well

>The ERE didn't fall under a dark age.
Instead it was a slow, consuming death until roaches finally settled in.