How comes Ireland never made any noteworthy contributions to science or culture?

How comes Ireland never made any noteworthy contributions to science or culture?

I mean, even Scotland had Maxwell, and it's not even a real country

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13084906
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Irish_scientists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_artists
cybershack.com.au/news/man-who-made-wifi-possible
irishamerica.com/2014/08/the-irish-man-who-invented-the-submarine/
christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1601-1700/robert-boyle-father-of-modern-chemistry-11630103.html
historyofinformation.com/expanded.php?id=4649
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8094367.stm
irishtimes.com/news/science/the-irish-man-who-brought-radiotherapy-forward-1.1828507
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joly_colour_screen
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1951/walton-bio.html
adb.anu.edu.au/biography/brennan-louis-3048
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennan_torpedo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_coil
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Algernon_Parsons
britannica.com/biography/William-Rowan-Hamilton
youtube.com/watch?v=8s2MSVaXNqQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Potato-niggers gonna potato-nig.

They produced some excellent writers in the XIX century.

what about that huge homosexual writer?
and that joyce bloke

they were also the first egyptians

What a load of fucking shit, considering Ireland size and population we've overachieved in literally everything be it in military, science, sports, literature etc.. what have counties like Finland, Belarus, Latvia, Slovenia, Moldova and so on ever done...

This thread is retarded and grounded in /pol/ tier ignorance.

The guy who literally invented Chrmistry, Robert Boyle, was an Irishman. George Boole was an Irishman, and if you don't know who that is, you don't have any business talking authoritatively about the history of science.

The culture front is even more ridiculously out of whack with OP's assertion: James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett, Bram Stoker, George Bernard Shaw, C.S. Lewis, and Jonathan Swift were all Irish.

It literally only took a google search to quickly find these names.

They invented top-tier music that makes you happy. They also invented cute red haired people.
Sadly they also invented american larping as irish

>The Land of Saints & Scholars

A simple google search will prove you wrong.

Good job on making the dumbest thread on Veeky Forums in over a week!

Are you retarded?

Place your bets anons

strawpoll.me/13084906

>How comes Ireland never made any noteworthy contributions to science or culture?
maybe not science so much, but there are a lot of boss irish poets

I say bait.

Is that the Irish's fault? That's just the Americans who want an excuse to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

why the anglo-teutonic in OP's pic clearly resembles a greek statue?

Well I like to think we over-achieved when it came to mass producing human beings muh ancestry blah blah

>what have counties like Finland, Belarus, Latvia, Slovenia, Moldova and so on ever done...
In comparison to you? A lot more.

Invented the hypodermic needle.

>Robert Boyle
Born to Anglo aristocracy. To paraphrase Sir Arthur Wellesley just because a man is born in a stable doesn't mean he is a horse.
>George Boole
How the hell is he Iris? He wasn't even born in Ireland.

>To paraphrase Sir Arthur Wellesley just because a man is born in a stable doesn't mean he is a horse.
If you knew anything about Irish history you'd know that Wellington never actually said that. It was an argument used against his Irishness by Daniel O'Connell, someone who didn't like him very much. Wellington himself was by all counts reasonably happy to be called Irish and was particularly proud of his mother's descent from Gaelic royalty.

Maybe because literally everyone with two brain cells to rub together has been steadily leaving the country for the past 200 years? Brain Drain, dysgenics.
Just something to consider...
A lot of the greatest American contributors have Irish ancestry..

If you want to shit on the Irish your shitting on white people, because Irish is the most common ancestry of whites in America and other Anglosphere countries for that matter.
And Irish integrated perfectly in all of those societies, despite being treated like animals. It shows their essential nature is that of good white people.

>Irish is the most common ancestry of whites in America
I thought it was german tho?

They made beer better

Joyce is considered the greatest novelist of all time by many

Kelvin, Alexander Fleming, James Watt and Alexander Graham Bell are other famous Scottish scientists. Irish do pale in comparison it seems OP

They invented the submarine, chemistry as a field, whiskey, that's a pretty good track record.

Finland achieved a hell a lot more in 10 year than Ireland did in 10,000, apart from heretics burnt down the library so we can't prove it

>CS Lewis and Boyle were Irish as not English planter elite
Really activates the almonds user

Do you speak of the... empire? And... the war.. the great war? Of the that time ancient before ancients?...
O such..... autism. We will never reach such height again..

Mostly Irish/Italian/ anglo/Scottish
And the germs/welsh are in the south

spotted The Citizen.

How is Scotland not a country
Why are you 14 years old?

>. To paraphrase Sir Arthur Wellesley just because a man is born in a stable doesn't mean he is a horse.
I always loved how this quote was first used on the Irish before anything else. Poor lads. They really did get the bad end of the stick in history.

>chemistry as a field
I thought that was Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Irish_scientists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_artists

Google search is rocket science?

It wasn't used against the Irish, it was used BY the Irish because they didn't like that a Protestant British army officer was calling himself Irish.

Why didn't they invent fishing?

Ireland has 8 Nobel prizes, including medicine and physics.

>Sadly they also invented american larping as irish
By your own words, americans invented those.

I wonder who could be behind these post...

t.angcuck

No actual records that burnt down

Sorry honey who's language are you speaking

it's okay sweetie but next time you appropriate my culture think of your granddaddy

I understand Veeky Forums is a place of constant nonsense, but I really still can't see why people waste their time fostering dishonest, out of place, and wholly antagonistic threads like this.

The anglos should have finished the job

They might be angry drunks but to be fair they've contributed quite a lot. There are some pretty famous Irish writers/playwrights/poets and although it's not addressed in OP's question, the Irish contributed a disproportionate amount of troops to the British Army relative to their size (particularly during the Napoleonic Wars and WW1).

>Wellington himself was by all counts reasonably happy to be called Irish and was particularly proud of his mother's descent from Gaelic royalty.
I would also like a source on that because Wellesley's Irish ancestry seems to come up quite a bit on this board but I can't seem to find any information on what the man thought himself.

Yeah this is just a load of bullshit. Here's just a few Irish inventions and major developments in scientific fields

Wifi - Irish-Australian John O'Sullivan - cybershack.com.au/news/man-who-made-wifi-possible

The Submarine - John Philip Holland - irishamerica.com/2014/08/the-irish-man-who-invented-the-submarine/

Modern chemistry - Robert Boyle - christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1601-1700/robert-boyle-father-of-modern-chemistry-11630103.html

Seismology - Robert Mallet - historyofinformation.com/expanded.php?id=4649

Portable Defibrillator - Frank Pantridge - news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8094367.stm

Radiotherapy and major developments in colour photography - John Joly - irishtimes.com/news/science/the-irish-man-who-brought-radiotherapy-forward-1.1828507 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joly_colour_screen

First man to split the atom and creator of an article accelerator that was crucial in the development of the atom bomb - Ernest T.S Walton - nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1951/walton-bio.html

Guided missiles and ejector seats - Louis Brennan - adb.anu.edu.au/biography/brennan-louis-3048 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennan_torpedo

Induction Coil - Nicholas Callan - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_coil

Compount steam turbine - Charles Algernon Parsons - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Algernon_Parsons

Quaternions and major developments in quantum mechanics + electromagnetism - britannica.com/biography/William-Rowan-Hamilton

we also created the beaufort scale which is pretty massive

oscar wilde and james joyce, but thats bout all i know

Major contribution to seismology was from a Croatian other then that everything else is correct kiddo

Yeah the Irish never produced anything of cultural va...

youtube.com/watch?v=8s2MSVaXNqQ

No. Scots-Irish are throughout the South, Germans are primarily Midwest and in the Northern Rockies.

Fugging James Joyce, like the most innovative writer of all time

Also with regards to the whole Anglo-Irish meme, the term just relates to a privileged social class that had nothing to do with those of planter descent (there was a large number of those of planter descent that belonged to the class of course, just as there was a large number of pure Irish). Also it's not as if those of planter descent were marrying irish niggers (which exist, just as do chavs and mongs of every nation) and the planter blood was the one deciding factor in their success, they were marrying into the already established Irish nobility and upper classes who were almost all Keltic Nordid

Mallet was the one to coin the term 'seismology' and was one of the founders of the science itself. His wikipedia states that

'On 9 February 1846 he presented to the Royal Irish Academy his paper, "On the Dynamics of Earthquakes",[2] which is considered to be one of the foundations of modern seismology. He is also credited with coining the word "seismology" and other related words e.g. the isoseismal map, which he used in his research. He also coined the term epicentre.'

>the Irish contributed a disproportionate amount of troops to the British Army relative to their size (particularly during the Napoleonic Wars and WW1).
Until fairly recently the Irish were considered basically a soldier race. Some general once said they'll win for any cause but their own, but I can't find the quote./

fuggn' savvd x-D

I never said the Croatian invented it I said he made a major and a more modern contribution to it around 1910s I forgot his name but just look up Croatian seismologist pioneer or something