So this is not trying to start a shitstorm or bait thread, but I am geniuenly curious

So this is not trying to start a shitstorm or bait thread, but I am geniuenly curious.

As a super power that's been on top of the world for a while, is it me or is the U.S. kinda weak and failing at it?

>partially failed in Korea and created a 70 years stalemate
>failed intervening in Cuba
>failed(hard) in Vietnam
>failed to stabilize Somalia for 20+ years after Mogadishu
>questionable intervention in Yugoslavia, created a lot of problems
>failed in Afghanistan, didn't stabilize or secure anything, withdrew and country is as hostile as ever
>toppled Saddam in Iraq but again, couldn't establish anything and now there's insurgency and ISIS
>arguably failed in Libya, Egypt and Syria by supporting islamist "revolutions"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations
cracked.com/humor-history.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

America is a bit retarded desu

>only country that could help UK, doesn't until 1941
but when it does, becomes superpower post war
>Cold War:
Leader of the 'Free World' -> segregation... black people are literally second-class citizens
>"We hold these truths to be self-evident... all men are created equal"... unless they aren't white
But Space Race and technological innovations etc so that was good
>Korea:
MacArthur pushed too far, gets China involved
>Vietnam was just cooked
>Post-9/11:
half-hearted attempts to nation-build but doesn't realise that everything cannot just be done with military force ie. need actual civilian institutions re: Afghanistan
>Iraq:
Killed Saddam but doesn't really matter because they flip the ethno-power meaning more people are unhappy and Baathists are still about... American political mentality is tied with the Presidency so changing leader = change in governance (Iraq, Libya, Egypt etc)
>muh 2nd amendment rights = freedom
>more guns = more freedom
Why don't we give these already unhappy people more weapons?
Wait, why is this descending into chaos?
>Then with military intervention:
have great military force but no exit strategy, the warrior American people become weary when their sons die and want total pull out (War is good until my son/daughter/father/mother died so now it is bad)
>pull out method doesnt work
Doesn't want to spend money on lasting missions like post-WWII Germany

idk but it just seems like American mentality is:
we are the best, no one can compete also here's some guns and freedom but we can't really afford to promote institutions like laws and democracy effectively

Also Trump has made the US even more of a laughingstock

You're paying too much attention to the wars. American economic hegemony, first through the Marshall Plan/Bretton-Woods (more Keynesian) and later through the neoliberal Washington Consensus, is far more important.

In recent years, however, China's state-capitalist investment has granted them much more influence in Africa and Asia; there's been plenty of exploitation and neocolonial behavior but they've also done a lot of good (sort of like how European colonialism had both horrible and positive aspects). Whether they will usurp the United States as the dominant global economy remains to be seen.

USA´s isolationist tendencies.

>USA spends trillions of dollars on failed wars/interventions instead of colonizing Mars or some shit

Type of shit I don't get.

>China

No extensive growth quickly hits the dumpster. Especially when it is a bastardized version of soviet bureaucratism larping as capitalist.

The soviets could have been the same "sweatshop of the World" without their attenmpted autarky and the ideological conflict.

Economic hegemony isn't enough to consitute superpower status.

You need cultural and military hegemony aswell.

Point is that America isn't able to pay for the Army that enforces its military hegemony because its economic hegemony is crumbling hard (protectionist populism swaying large parts of the population is a top notch indicator for that). The attempts to enforce the military hegemony have damaged the cultural hegemony. Friggin hell even Europe is turning its back.

not sure what this thread is trying to accomplish, despite whatever shit you want people to prove you wrong about, as it stands america is the current hegemon over most the world, with China and Russia close in tail

NATO is the most powerful military alliance perhaps in history and no one is going to declare straight up war on anyone in NATO because of it
American culture dominates music television film fashion etc
American corporations make billions from all over the globe and use countries like china to produce the shit we sell
American trade is the most important trade
The USD is still the trade standard
We have permanent military presence across the world and the only country with so many carriers and subs with a huge fleet of aircraft that can fuck shit up any time, not including the Army
We set the standard for special operations and drone technology
etc etc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations

You named eight interventions.

You seem to assume that stabilizing unrest is the US endgame. It can be argued that in many cases the US directly benefits from unrest in other parts of the world. A civil war in Iraq is probably less of a threat to US interests than Saddam fucking around trying to sell oil without using US dollars.

>The attempts to enforce the military hegemony have damaged the cultural hegemony.
Not really, not at all even. Just because people bitch and moan about America and Americans being shit doesn't mean that they've stopped consuming American culture. They can have a sour opinion of the nation every moment of every day, but it doesn't change the fact that America's cultural hegemony is so absolute that people in foreign countries can't even distinguish what American culture is anymore.

>NATO is the most powerful military alliance perhaps in history and no one is going to declare straight up war on anyone in NATO because of it
NATO failed in Kosovo, NATO failed it's mission in Afghanistan, failed to reach consensus on Iraq, Turkey is financing IS and bombing YPG and PKK.... NATO is a paper agreement falling apart since the end of the 90's.

>American culture dominates music television film fashion etc
2/10 bait
American culture is considered pleb tier in Europe.
>American corporations make billions from all over the globe and use countries like china to produce the shit we sell
True, but the total dominance is over and your companies and treasury bonds are bought by chinese corporations/banks
>American trade is the most important trade
True, but in net decline
>The USD is still the trade standard
True, but also in net decline and US financial stability is now in scrutiny
>We have permanent military presence across the world and the only country with so many carriers and subs with a huge fleet of aircraft that can fuck shit up any time, not including the Army
Again, military is not enough to suceed (see Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan...)
>We set the standard for special operations and drone technology
??

>partially failed in Korea and created a 70 years stalemate

Because we dismantled most of our military after ww2 and fought those commie spicy krauts in korea with whatever was left.

That one partially failed piece of korea went from no industry, to jap occupation, to a global economic and cultural influence, kinda like America.

>failed intervening in Cuba

We weren't even """there""" in cuba, our spooks armed a bunch of cubans that wanted to kill castro, it'd be like saying we intervened in Israel.

>failed(hard) in Vietnam

While we were there we never lost a single military battle. When we left millions of vietnamese died at the hands of the government we were fighting, then hippies made us leave.

Seeing as how the Soviet Union collapsed and Vietnam is on good terms with America, I'd say we won.

>failed to stabilize Somalia for 20+ years after Mogadishu

Love to see anyone else try.

>questionable intervention in Yugoslavia, created a lot of problems

EU cucks were so busy debating one another that we intervened on their behalf instead of waiting for millions of serbs, coats, and albanians to holokraut each other.

>failed in Afghanistan, didn't stabilize or secure anything, withdrew and country is as hostile as ever

9/11 happened, taliban and al qaeda got BTFO and were pushed underground i.e. fled to Pakistan, we're still there, and it's gotten less hostile fyi.

>toppled Saddam in Iraq but again, couldn't establish anything and now there's insurgency and ISIS

We established a democracy, they voted for us to leave, we did. Then the Shiite government decided to become hellbent on getting even with the Sunnis instead of integrating them into the new government, but ya it's all our fault.

>As a super power that's been on top of the world for a while, is it me or is the U.S. kinda weak and failing at it?

It's just you and every other ((((historian)))) on the internet that uses historical memes as a substitute for actual history.

>idk but it just seems like American mentality is:

don't fuck with us or we'll kill you.

>we are the best, no one can compete also here's some guns and freedom

We give them guns so they can fight for their own freedom, it usually works too.

>but we can't really afford to promote institutions like laws and democracy effectively

Sure we can, look at Europe or Australia, hell get a globe and look for yourself.

>Also Trump has made the US even more of a laughingstock

After you have an understanding of history, you'll eventually be able to understand American history, and someday you'll understand American democracy itself.

>NATO failed in Kosovo, NATO failed it's mission in Afghanistan, failed to reach consensus on Iraq, Turkey is financing IS and bombing YPG and PKK.... NATO is a paper agreement falling apart since the end of the 90's.

NATO failed because of europeans.

>2/10 bait American culture is considered pleb tier in Europe.

You're shitposting about America using American culture right now, it's called the internet, google chrome, mozilla firefox, computer architecture, etc...

>True, but the total dominance is over and your companies and treasury bonds are bought by chinese corporations/banks

I thought they taught basic finance/economics in euro education?

>True, but in net decline

And then it goes back up.

*the
*croats

And yes I was triggered enough to ignore the spellcheck on my phone while replying to your bait question.

I would tell you and

to go read a book, but instead I will direct you all to this.

cracked.com/humor-history.html

This has to be bait.

>You're shitposting about America using American culture right now, it's called the internet, google chrome, mozilla firefox, computer architecture, etc..

>Be ignorant burger
>Use the french-invented OSI - TCPI/IP protocol to shitpost about how muricans have invented the whole world.
>tell people to read books
>t.pleb

You should seriously question the american nationalism in your education...
America is FAR from the superpower it was in the 90's. Just take a look at Merkel's last discourse after NATO and G7 summit...

Hope so, because when US of A goes full commie, the world shoul deal with it hard way.

>fighting insurgencies and guerrillas is the same exact thing as fighting a conventional army and the goals are exactly the same
I'll give you that these conflicts are net losses, but that is because we throw money and bodies at a problem that can't be solved by an invasion force.

I'm still not sure why this is a thread. America is dominating. Success isn't dependent on your shitty internet keyboard warrior criteria.

>>failed(hard) in Vietnam
False
We didn't lose, we just lost interest.
We inflicted far more casualties than we took. 60,000 Americans dead vs hundreds of thousands of dead and wounded Vietnam fucking shits

>Why don't we give these already unhappy people more weapons?
>Wait, why is this descending into chaos?
fuck off

You set objectives you wanted to achieve and failed to achieve them. This is a simple fact.

You argument is like saying Hitler won WW2 because he managed to kill a shit ton of jews.

is it possible that the US will stop having such a firm grasp on the rest of the world within the next 100 years?
will china replace the US?

This.

In the 80s it would have been unthinkable for Germany to act in the Way it did after the G7 summit.

Nowadays most of Europe is fully behind her statement.

>Muh shitty Internet warrior criteria

If you aren't able to see the american decline you are retarded. Look at the domestic situation and international politics.

top kek burger never fail to swallow this
they cant just hammer everything otherwise ""peace"" would start
a strong military power needs wars to be relevant
so whatever, if they win they get good boy points
if they lose, more instability for a future campaign
either way it's good for them

>As a super power that's been on top of the world for a while, is it me or is the U.S. kinda weak and failing at it?

No, not really. I think you're just overestimating what the US is capable of. The US, despite being the sole global superpower (for the time being), "only" makes up 20% of the global GDP and 5% of its population. Foreigners act as though the US is some unstoppable force which can control the entire world. And I think this perception is down to two things:

1. It has some basis in reality, the US is unquestionably the dominant military power, and no other country could defeat it in a conventional war. Our Navy is the second-largest air force on earth, that's how absurd the US military's power is.

2. Americans ourselves love our country so much that we get a bit delusional about it. We often believe that we're stronger than we really are, and ignore the fact that our dominance is based largely in a network of powerful allies (NATO makes up 90% of global military spending, Japan makes up another 2%). And we project that notion into our movies and tv, which we then export worldwide.

So everyone builds up this false notion of what America is and what we can do, and when the reality inevitably falls short people get angry.

OP you don't know the half of it.

There's the big failures everyone knows, then there's the 10 minor failures in between each big failure that most people don't know about. Read about US involvement in Latin America and virtually every single one of those countries has a "America fucked our shit up for decades" story to tell. And in between those minor fuck ups is a million micro fuck ups on the tactical level, with interventions happening nonstop every day for over a century via government agencies and special forces teams, who have influenced history more than anyone could possibly know since their involvement doesn't get released to the public until decades later and after heavy editing.

The United states put its hand in every cookie jar on earth within a single century, and we left a mess in every one. We've been involved somewhere at some place every day for over a century. Its honestly starting to compete with the records France and britain set during the 100 years war.

AMERICAN SUCCESS STORIES:
-foundation
-a genocide even Hitler thought was impressive
-WW1/2
-Japan
-South Korea

AMERICAN FAILURES
-literally everything else

>NATO failed because of europeans.

NATO failed(is failing?) because it is wildly unpopular and distrusted by the general population of pretty much any member country or allies.

I think it's a complete loss to throw away your countrymen's lives and billions of dollars into something that was pointless and unwinnable anyway.

>The economic hegemony can't pay for its Military hegemony

Not true at all. The rest of your statement is full of shit too.

NATO isn't even trusted in America. The funny thing about NATO is that the people all hate it but the governments recognize how useful it is. Americans hate paying to defend Europeans, Europeans hate Americans messing with their affairs.

t. somebody who knows nothing about US history

I've always wondered, as a yuropean. Are latin americans aware of all that shit the U.S did? And what do they think?

>not true at all

You are aware of the massive debt?

Sadly, all the aircraft carriers in the world don't help much when it's time to build a country like we tried in South Vietnam, Iraq, Libya, or Somalia. There are just a lot of places that could not care less about western values like liberalism and democracy. It's sad, but I think a lot of Americans have become jaded by all the failed attempts. There are plenty of Americans who would argue today that a stable dictatorship is better than an unstable democracy as exemplified by Assad's fanclub on /pol/. The very idea of spreading freedom or liberating people is a joke to most Americans now. Maybe it's all a big cycle and in a few decades the next generation will try it again. I sort of hope they stay idealistic and don't all grow up to cynical realpolitikers.

i think that is why most of them are commies

Read the rules

this

O B S E S S E D

>>only country that could help UK, doesn't until 1941

During that time the US was both supplying arms to the Allies and initiating a peace time draft. If you were expecting the USA to pull a 1914 Russia and just send in untrained levies en masse, you deserve the loss of your empire.

The US is Jimmy and the UK is Chuck from Better Call Saul.
>take care of them for 3 years, get them all the supplies they need for comfy tea times during their darkest hour
>get nothing for it but more hatred, never even says thank you

It's not bait.

I know that inside each and every subhuman foreigner there is an American.

The reverse is also true: Inside each and every American there is a subhuman foreigner.

>Inside each and every American there is a subhuman foreigner

That's where you're wrong.

>implying

Failing? We're the most beneficent superpower the world has ever seen.

ah yes, another retard who thinks the economy works JUST the same as some regular joe schmoes finances.

All of the wars in the Middle East have been financially motivated, and there are a lot more players involved than just America. They have (pending Syria) succeeded on that front though, even if that success only serves the West's political and economic elite.

I think the largest benefit that the U.S. has provided has been to the poor and disenfranchised of the world. (Excluding black people for some reason). Even at our worst, we gave people with no where else to go the opportunity to have at least a fractionally better life than they would have had in their homelands.

Yes, we genocided the shit out of the Natives here. Yes, we fucked up big time as a world superpower. But, compared to how badly the French and British empire fucked over the world, I'd say we still have a ways to go. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, after all.

I think the U.S has done more good for the world than people like to admit, but no nation exists that hasn't done something wrong. Under the shadow of recent fairly sizable fuckups, it's easy to kick someone when they're down, I guess in this case a nation.

you're right user, i'd take american cock in my ass, over russian or chinese cock any day of the week

The thing about empires is that while they may be powerful, the fact that they have so many enemies and obligations around the world means that it's extremely difficult if not impossible for them to bring all that power to bear against a single target.

>No extensive growth quickly hits the dumpster. Especially when it is a bastardized version of soviet bureaucratism larping as capitalist.

ANY DAY NOW

>china hasn't collapsed in 60 years so it will never collapse

You can't have a military dictatorship without a significant part of your population supporting it, otherwise you get civil wars.
Also a lot of latin american dicatorships, while having US-backing at their inception, were nationalist and would go for a "non-aligned" posture in international relations.
Saying "america fucked us" is a pleb-tier analysis, typical of latin american leftists. There's much more to it than just that.

People have made the exact same stupid prediction when China joined the WTO.

By the same standards you can say that germany won in the eastern front... and its clear it didnt.

Empire and imperialism don't exist, or at least are not the same anymore today. Today's power is not concentrated in a single country, but more like a complex network of international governments, corporations, and so forth.